Africa Games Final | ZIm vs Namibia

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sam_ahm

Re: Africa Games Final | ZIm vs Namibia

Post by sam_ahm »

It still helps Zimbabwe slightly because of Namibia's loss against Nigeria which was an international.

As of now Zimbabwe sneak ahead of Namibia into 12th Rank.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Uganda and Namibia are the big improvers of cricket in Africa.
Namibian improvement is somewhat obvious. Closely culturally linked to South Africa and the recipient of some Afrikaans white flight m, but I’m not sure what’s driving Ugandan growth. Seems somewhat organic too.
Buy it could just be a purple patch of talent
They might fade away like Kenya did.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by CalZim »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:41 pm
Uganda and Namibia are the big improvers of cricket in Africa.
Namibian improvement is somewhat obvious. Closely culturally linked to South Africa and the recipient of some Afrikaans white flight m, but I’m not sure what’s driving Ugandan growth. Seems somewhat organic too.
Buy it could just be a purple patch of talent
They might fade away like Kenya did.
Even if it is a purple patch. The core squad are all relatively young so they will be around for a while.

They have some decent young players coming through as well, I watch their domestic cricket and whilst most is pretty average (mainly the fielding) there are some bright young talents.

That Ronald Lutaaya has a big ceiling, I mentioned him a while back, serious potential.

I’d pick Kyewuta for Zimbabwe. Everyone knows how much I rate him, surprised he didn’t stay in South Africa when he joined that development programme there.

I’m glad people have finally realised that Uganda are no mugs.

totoro
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by totoro »

CalZim wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:59 pm
I’d pick Kyewuta for Zimbabwe. Everyone knows how much I rate him, surprised he didn’t stay in South Africa when he joined that development programme there.
How fast is Cosmas? He had amazing figures in the African Games. :)

CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by CalZim »

totoro wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:22 am
CalZim wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:59 pm
How fast is Cosmas? He had amazing figures in the African Games. :)
He is probably low 130s but he swings the ball round corners. First time I saw him was against a full strength Namibia side and they didn’t have a clue how play him.

He is just recovering from a bad injury so didn’t bowl as much in this comp. I look forward to seeing how he gets on in the world t20.

Miyagi is quicker and has great bounce but he can spray it a bit sometimes.

They have a decent pace attack really as Nakrani, hassan and Ali Shah can all do something with the ball.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Yeah, I hugely underestimated them before that Zimbabwe game, but now I understand they are a decent side. They are still well behind Zimbabwe and Namibia I would say but surely no pushovers.

totoro
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by totoro »

CalZim wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:14 pm
He is probably low 130s but he swings the ball round corners. First time I saw him was against a full strength Namibia side and they didn’t have a clue how play him.

He is just recovering from a bad injury so didn’t bowl as much in this comp. I look forward to seeing how he gets on in the world t20.

Miyagi is quicker and has great bounce but he can spray it a bit sometimes.

They have a decent pace attack really as Nakrani, hassan and Ali Shah can all do something with the ball.
Thank you! Yeah Miyagi is tall and quick. :D

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

sam_ahm wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:04 pm
It still helps Zimbabwe slightly because of Namibia's loss against Nigeria which was an international.

Taking a look at the potential rankings after May 1, it’s extremely close. My question is what happens if we somehow manage to win the series in Bangladesh, maybe 3-2 for example. At the same time Namibia, the Netherlands, Scotland and Ireland don’t do so well at the World Cup. They don’t progress to the super 8s. That creates a possibility where both Namibia and Zimbabwe can be in the top 12. Does Africa then get 5 spots in 2026?

We might not even have to win the series because of the gap between us and Bangladesh in the rankings. 2 wins might be enough. The key game from what I can see might actually be Namibia versus Scotland at the World Cup if we do ok next month. I would be extremely disappointed if Bangladesh beat us 5-0 but with these guys you never know.

Donald

Post by Donald »

TapsC2 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 am
sam_ahm wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:04 pm

Taking a look at the potential rankings after May 1, it’s extremely close. My question is what happens if we somehow manage to win the series in Bangladesh, maybe 3-2 for example. At the same time Namibia, the Netherlands, Scotland and Ireland don’t do so well at the World Cup. They don’t progress to the super 8s. That creates a possibility where both Namibia and Zimbabwe can be in the top 12. Does Africa then get 5 spots in 2026?

We might not even have to win the series because of the gap between us and Bangladesh in the rankings. 2 wins might be enough. The key game from what I can see might actually be Namibia versus Scotland at the World Cup if we do ok next month. I would be extremely disappointed if Bangladesh beat us 5-0 but with these guys you never know.
We can even win series with our best side. Look there needs to be a shift back to meritocracy as opposed to passengers in side.

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

zimfan1 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:17 am
Update, ICC have confirmed the matches involving South Africa and Zimbabwe were not T20is
And on cricinfo the matches are even being classed as 'other T20' and the performances removed from players T20 records, considering some of the shite tournaments that have been played it's a bit off picking on this one