4th 20/20 International bangaldesh vs zimbabwe

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: 4th 20/20 International bangaldesh vs zimbabwe

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 3:53 pm
SZ, Googly, with the emergence of Bennett and Campbell, the two obvious positives from this series, how do you see Ervine and Williams' future from here? Do you think they would want to stick around or call it a day? Or do you think it will be Burl who might get the axe?
Ervine and Williams would still be needed for the two longer formats IMO. Granted, you have to start slowly blooding the youngsters with potential in. For T20 Ervine should definitely get the chop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

sam_ahm wrote:
SZ, Googly, with the emergence of Bennett and Campbell, the two obvious positives from this series, how do you see Ervine and Williams' future from here? Do you think they would want to stick around or call it a day? Or do you think it will be Burl who might get the axe?
They are on big big salaries - the likes they will never get again in this country. So I doubt they are keen to retire. Why would you?

We haven’t seen much from either of them for a while and Ervine being actually dropped today is a big moment. And Williams is never healthy.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 3:48 pm
Blessing can bomb it miles. He's not shit.
I knew he was coming out to that shot. If you're 7 ft do you need to? It's weird what pressure does.
Blessing scored a massive unbeaten century off like 30 balls in club cricket earlier this year!

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Williams is an old man lol. I bet he feels it the next day after a quick 15 ball knock and turning his arm over an over or two. :lol:

He’s not exactly that dire he’s choppable either. It’s good to have more guys than can fit in a team. Long term after the England test, 2027 WC at the absolute limit, him and Ervine will be replaced with Jono and Bennett.

T20 is the format to blood guys and get them used to international cricket. Just because they’ve performed well here I wouldn’t necessarily be in a rush to parachute them into the 50 over and test sides just yet, that’s proper cricket by comparison.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Fair points guys, I get a feeling that ZC might want to look forward and Ervine in particular is in serious danger of losing his spot. It is good if they don't want to retire, because we then see some serious competition for places.

Bennett, Campbell and Madande look more suited for ODIs actually. They will probably do better in the longer format.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

The suits like Ervine, they’ll have a sweet gig in the hierarchy lined up for him when he does retire.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

They can still be on big salaries but I think it’s time to implement the Rajput senior player rotation now in T20s. Except for Raza of course. This series has shown me that there is hope for them to get it right without the senior players. In fact had 1 senior player delivered they would have won at least 1 match. Add Myers, Wes and the Welch brothers, let them play and get it right

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I actually want to see them play some ODIs because it also brings Gumbie into the mix. It’s a shame if Kaia is no longer interested. Once you cross 30 you need a solid future plan I guess. They kept chopping him. I don’t blame him. If I was him I would go the Chakabva route

Googly

Post by Googly »

sam_ahm wrote:

As a T20 player Williams is a better player than both Bennett and Campbell and practically everyone else, never mind as an ODI player.
The guy is a gun when he's in form. What remains to be seen is how he'll react to new guys vying for spots. If he decides to take the challenge and get motivated he's my pick all day. Of course Campbell and Bennett are brand new. They'll surely improve as well.
Ervine as well is a good player. He knows the game has changed and he has to get going earlier, but he never had the chance this series. We'll see both of them in the NPL because they now know their days are numbered.
They'll likely knock it out the park and add to the confusion.
At the end of the day it's up to some useless and often compromised selectors so it could be out of their hands.
Theyre both going to have to play all the franchise games, NPL and club stuff if they don't want a muppet to sideline them.

The real problem is the guys in waiting are NOT going to get better in our domestic leagues. In fact they'll probably get worse. I've always maintained that we need someone with a great eye to say- here are your guys, stick with them.

Burl has to up his game. Has to get back to bowling good leggies. He's got some technical glitches with the bat which you can hide coming in and swinging from the get go.

Campbell has bought himself some time. If he'd gotten unlucky he'd have scored not much and he'd have been back on the carousel. He needs to get his bowling going because competition for spots is tight.
Bennett is going OK, but I don't think he's a top order batsman yet. He's a 5. He seems to have a great temperament though.

You could easily drop Madande, Wellie, Faraz, Marumani, Burl etc and replace them with others. It's not a Campbell/Bennett vs Ervine Williams thing at all. No batters there are secure.
I'll say it again, Madande is not top drawer and I don't see him getting much better. He's a good player but there are better options. We don't have a batsman who looks like he can confidently get more than 30 at the moment.

For me the competition is coming from Myers, Welch, the new Madhevere, perhaps Munyonga as batters and maybe in a year or so from Welch Jr. Don't discount BT either.
Evans will be back. If he gets his batting right he's better than Jongwe and Akram. If selectors got company vehicles it would make the right decisions a bit easier.
For Welch to get another look in he's going to have to finish top in the NPL and then get a hundred if he gets another shot. In a set up where we're crying for someone with potential the most obvious guy is getting overlooked.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Pat_Bee wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 4:33 pm
The suits like Ervine, they’ll have a sweet gig in the hierarchy lined up for him when he does retire.
No they won't.