Ryan Higgins Turned Down Zimbabwe Approach

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Ryan Higgins Turned Down Zimbabwe Approach

Post by zimfan1 »

Middlesex allrounder Ryan Higgins declined interest over the winter from Zimbabwe Cricket but has refused to rule out ever taking up an offer from the country of his birth.

Higgins, 29, has been a consistent source of runs and wickets in county cricket for much of the last decade but, since representing England at under-19 level, has not come in for higher honours.

The allrounder, who re-joined Middlesex in 2022 after a successful spell at Gloucestershire, was born in Zimbabwe and spent the first 13 years of his life in the country.

Speaking to The Cricketer as part of a wider interview, he explained that Zimbabwe had been in touch before Christmas but that he had turned down the approach. Representing the country of his birth would mean he could only play in county cricket as an overseas player.

"I don't think I'd ever make it a definite no," he told The Cricketer. "It is a tough question, but a good one. With a young family now, it's trying to work out if I could commit to something like that.

"But in my head, I still want to try and play for England. Without losing my words, I wouldn't ever say it's something that I don't want to do. But it's also like, with a young family, committing to moving back to Zimbabwe, and also with what my parents gave up to move to England, it would be a tough one."

secretzimbo

Re: Ryan Higgins Turned Down Zimbabwe Approach

Post by secretzimbo »

Not at all surprised he said no.

He is a really quality player though and it's interesting that ZC are still making such approaches to players. i thought the Ballance disaster might have put them off going down that route again. It's good to hear that ZC are trying!

Googly

Post by Googly »

That's desperation. :lol:
I've watched a lot of Ryan H.
He's decent enough but we've got better batsmen right here.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Don't completely discount Ballance making a comeback. Never say never.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Averages 35 in County with the bat and 24 with the ball. I'd say thats rather good for an all-rounder. Would Evans/Jongwe/Faraz have those figures in county...?

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

He would be the best player in the side, without a shadow of a doubt.

Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by 55727835 »

Googly wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 12:21 pm
Don't completely discount Ballance making a comeback. Never say never.
is this a throwaway comment?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Not a cat in hells chance. More chance of BT making a playing comeback.... :lol: .....and thats as likely as the Vic Falls stadium turning out to be a success :lol: :lol: :lol:

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Yes, interesting that ZC are making such approaches.

Considering this, you would expect them to give a longer run to Nick Welch and probably try out Benn Curran at some point, but they haven't got any preference actually.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Googly wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 12:18 pm
That's desperation. :lol:
I've watched a lot of Ryan H.
He's decent enough but we've got better batsmen right here.
:lol:

Seems a random approach. We’ve got thousands of medium pace trundlers who can bat a bit down the order. Need a gun batter up top like Eddie Byrom. The middle order is stacked for options.