Vitori, Ervine injury blow

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

DANIEL NHAKANISO, SPORTS REPORTER | HAR07:47
Bookmark and Share

The Zimbabwe Cricket selection committee named a largely unchanged 15-man squad for the two Twenty20 (T20) internationals against New Zealand cricket team, but injuries to key players meant they had to make some adjustments to the team.

Middle order batsman Craig Ervine and pace bowler Brian Vitori joined the growing list of injuries, the former ruled out of the rest of the tour with a shoulder injury while the latter is expected to return for the lone Test.

New Zealand touch down at the Harare International Airport around lunchtime on Thursday aboard a South African Airways flight and have named two strong sides for the three one-day internationals (ODIs), two Twenty20 internationals and the one-off Test.

Vitori’s injury paved way for the return of seamer Keegan Meth, who has been in top form with both bat and ball in the domestic competitions.

Meth is one of the three seamers in the squad together with Kyle Jarvis and Christopher Mpofu — and they look to have ample support from all-rounders Elton Chigumbura and Chamu Chibhabha.

Forster Mtizwa, on the other hand, was named in the squad in place of Ervine and together with wicketkeeper batsman Tatenda Taibu, Charles Coventry and Malcolm Waller, are likely to form the backbone of the middle order.

Uncapped leg spinner Natsai Mushangwe is expected to provide cover for the experienced pair of Ray Price and the newly-wed Prosper Utseya, while explosive middle order batsman Charles Coventry also retain his place in the team. The selectors kept faith in the top order batting line-up comprising of skipper Brendan Taylor, Chibhabha, Vusi Sibanda and Hamilton Masakadza.

Zimbabwe coach Alan Butcher told NewsDay Sport he was happy with the squad although admitting injuries to Vitori and Ervine had affected their plans.

“I’m happy with the balance of the side, but obviously the injuries to Ervine and Vitori mean that we have to make minor changes to our plans. But I feel we have a strong squad which can compete against New Zealand.

“New Zealand are bringing a very strong squad, but it’s going to be important for the players to believe that they can compete which hopefully can see us cause some surprises,” said Butcher.

Zimbabwe squad for Twenty20s — Brendan Taylor (captain), Charles Coventry, Chamunorwa Chibhabha, Elton Chigumbura, Kyle Jarvis, Hamilton Masakadza, Keegan Meth, Natsai Mushangwe, Christopher Mpofu, Forster Mutizwa, Raymond Price, Vusimuzi Sibanda, Tatenda Taibu, Prosper Utseya, Malcolm Waller
http://www.newsday.co.zw/article/2011-1 ... njury-blow

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Vitori, Ervine injury blow

Post by Jemisi »

Waller & Mutizwa now have a real chance to get a Test cap.

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Jemisi wrote:Waller & Mutizwa now have a real chance to get a Test cap
dont forget Meth too. If Chigs form subsides further he will be in with a shout

gargamel
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by gargamel »

I see that we could see a four man pace attack with Chigs and Meth in the same time. I think Waller and Foster arent ready yet as shown in their last outings.
Rainbow Cricket Club First and Always

Flower power
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Flower power »

gargamel wrote:I see that we could see a four man pace attack with Chigs and Meth in the same time. I think Waller and Foster arent ready yet as shown in their last outings.
Remember our selectors can surprise you . they have not come up with a stable policy . They seem to be pushing around players here and there.
I feel Waller will have a bite of the cherry .

kudet

Post by kudet »

waller is the way to go he is an allrounder :W:

hhm
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by hhm »

How on earth did Vitori hurt his shin while playing cricket in the first place! Nani got a horrible knock there from nasty silly Charragher last time around while playing for my champions, and yet he was up and running in no time getting more knocks on that injured shin a few days later. I suspect Heath & Butcher are protecting this fellow - question is from what? After all, if he were to come back in the Test, what does that say after he was 'dropped' from playing there against the Pakis the last time, and the majority on this forum seem to accept and speak comfortably that our 'premier' seamer' is unsuitable for one of our only two grounds of international standard. :?
1Mawoyo 2Vusi 3Hami 4Taylor(c) 5Craig 6Matsi 7Taibu(wk) 8Elton 9Cremer 10Rainsford 11Mpofu 12Jarvis

aydee

Post by aydee »

hhm wrote:How on earth did Vitori hurt his shin while playing cricket in the first place! Nani got a horrible knock there from nasty silly Charragher last time around while playing for my champions, and yet he was up and running in no time getting more knocks on that injured shin a few days later. I suspect Heath & Butcher are protecting this fellow - question is from what? After all, if he were to come back in the Test, what does that say after he was 'dropped' from playing there against the Pakis the last time, and the majority on this forum seem to accept and speak comfortably that our 'premier' seamer' is unsuitable for one of our only two grounds of international standard. :?

Shin splints is a very common injury for fast bowlers, particularly young ones...

hhm
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by hhm »

aydee wrote:Shin splints is a very common injury for fast bowlers, particularly young ones...
At the top of your head, which well known or relatively well known young international fast bowlers, who've suffered from that in the last 10 years come to mind?
1Mawoyo 2Vusi 3Hami 4Taylor(c) 5Craig 6Matsi 7Taibu(wk) 8Elton 9Cremer 10Rainsford 11Mpofu 12Jarvis

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

hhm wrote:
aydee wrote:Shin splints is a very common injury for fast bowlers, particularly young ones...
At the top of your head, which well known or relatively well known young international fast bowlers, who've suffered from that in the last 10 years come to mind?
Why international ? There's lots in county cricket.
James Anderson did in 2002, I'll always remember it.
Rory Klingveldt from South Africa shattered his knee cap whilst bowling in a T20 against Bangladesh in 2010...look it up.
Jacob Oram did something similar in the 2000 ICC Champions Trophy.