Campbell Steps Down as Chairman of Selectors

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Conant
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Campbell Steps Down as Chairman of Selectors

Post by Conant »

zimfan1 wrote:
Conant wrote:Oh, my God. From bad to worse
Is it such a bad thing, in esence the cricket committe is even more important the people who select the sqaud (as it is fairly obvious who the group of core players are and then its up the coach and captain to select the team from that core group)

The cricket committe is cruial in developing the grass root strutures and the plans for the under 19's under 18's Zimbabwe "A" etc...

It was always going to be difficult for Campbell to juggle three jobs and now he has handed the role over to Wayne James who in many ways knows more about domestic cricket then anyone else, since he played much more of it than either Curren or Campbell.

I think we need to say well done to Campbell for being one of the main reasons we got back into Test Cricket (after 6 years remeber) and lets hope he can contribute as much on the cricket committee
My premise wasn't based so much in Wyne James but on the two gentlemen working with him, whom I wasn't aware were already on the selection panel with AC. You should hear Kevin Curran speak: quite easily the most clueless person that ever played cricket
Last edited by Conant on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

andybligz93
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by andybligz93 »

good move he was doing to much at once he would have ended up doing a vermuelan and torching the campus . hes only human , like to thank you but campbell did a steady job and moved us into the right direction for the future ! please dont employ some drongo who has no idea we need a calm smart head who knows cricket !

bayhaus
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by bayhaus »

maybe Campbell was taken to task for selecting Zhuwao and asked to go gracefully?
POVOAfrika = Arts + Culture + Sustainability
Follow on Twitter
My Blog

Zimfanatic69
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Zimfanatic69 »

In other news the Captain of HMS Titanic has stepped down and handed the wheel to the First Mate directly after hitting the Iceberg.
A talented batsman but a modest, hardworking character, Stuart Matsikenyeri is the third of three school friends from Churchill Boys High School, Harare to represent Zimbabwe in international cricket. - Cricinfo.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Zimfanatic69 wrote:In other news the Captain of HMS Titanic has stepped down and handed the wheel to the First Mate directly after hitting the Iceberg.
:lol: Was about to type something similar

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

bayhaus wrote:maybe Campbell was taken to task for selecting Zhuwao and asked to go gracefully?
That would be proactive. But maybe he was asked to go after finally dropping Cephas?

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

http://www.thestandard.co.zw/sports/322 ... icket.html

Campbell says poor player base is affecting Zim Cricket, and that he would ideally like to concentrate on grass root levels to strengthen that. Hence the resignation for the selectoral role.
“I take full responsibility of every decision as the chairman of national selectors. One needs to be on his toes, attending matches. We would work with the franchise coaches in monitoring the performance of the players. (Kevin) Curran and (Givemore) Makoni would watch the franchise matches while I monitor the international games,” he said.

Flower power

Post by Flower power »

Certainly the grass roots need a lot of watering .....and Campbell is good at revival , its like having an old car in your garage and starting it after 5 years >that is what Campbell did for Zim Cricket to return to test cricket .Obviously some parts will have rusted hence needing oiling and perhaps replacement outright .

Areas that AC could look into
1.Schools cricket - Can be the best in the world .
2.Age group teams -ZimU13 Zim U16 Zim U19
2.Club cricket -Need to up standards here to acceptable levels .ie were the school boys will lay in when they finish school or are still in skool.
3.Provincial teams -I believe the talent that does well at club level should continue being exposed at a wider scale and provincial selects . Manicaland , Harare , Mash East , Bulawayo , Mash West etc
4.Franchise B - The reservoirs for our first class
5.Academy .Sharpens our players
5.First Class -if quality from 1-4 increases so will the quality of players coming through in the system .

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

3&4 r prob. the same thing?

Flower power

Post by Flower power »

Jemisi wrote:3&4 r prob. the same thing?
I included three and four because they have always been selection biases . If you have a provincial set up that is working you can choose fairly .

Scenario 1

Mountaineers B - Manicaland & Mash East

The problem is some players from Manicaland or Mash East might be overlooked by the current system for various reasons . However if there is a provincial set up the same players will continue to be exposed .