Match Thread- Zimbabwe v West Indies

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Match Thread- Zimbabwe v West Indies

Post by eugene »

I really miss the Recreation Ground in Antigua. This Viv Richards stadium is so sterile.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I think it's great that Jarvis has a slower ball, but I'd really like to see the occasional quicker ball.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Yep, a heavy ball would be good.

Jemisi

Post by Jemisi »

cme on Mpofu, get another before they wipe us out.

Jemisi

Post by Jemisi »

Good comeback after that terrible ODI start. One bowler and two batsmen can hold their heads up.

eugene

Post by eugene »

Great to see Mpofu playing well. Waller and Ervine are the only others who deserve praise.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

cock
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by cock »

For once I agree with hhm, Jarvis bowled shit and should definately be rested. Waller & Mpofu are really the only two players that did anything today

hhm

Post by hhm »

Vusi can also hold his head high!

Jarvis can spend the rest of his T20 career against Can, Bermuda & USA,and he still wouldnt manage Mpofu like figures.

You guys are wrong about him. So many matches so far with the new ball, and still just 2 wickets if im not mistaken.

If he has a shocking 1st Test, which is likely to be the case since I dont see them batting twice and as usual its unlikely that he'll get more than 1 wicket at most, will you give your opinion of him some necessary consideration?
1Mawoyo 2Vusi 3Hami 4Taylor(c) 5Craig 6Matsi 7Taibu(wk) 8Elton 9Cremer 10Rainsford 11Mpofu 12Jarvis

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

What I liked about Mpofu today was his intent with the ball. He looked totally focused, and had some hunger to bowl quicker and not within himself. His quickest ball was 137.1 Kph (85.3mph), and it was evident that the batters were rushed for pace when he bent his back. It begs the question what he was doing in the first ODI, when we needed some fire power with the new ball. His slower ball was also put to good use in this game, and his line and length was superb.

Possibly the most frustrating bowler to watch because he has these kind of performances in him, but we see them too few and far between which is a shame. In 2010 against India and Sri Lanka, he was bowling like this in every single game and it was fantastic to see. The same against New Zealand in the ODI series in 2011!

He makes me sound so fickle, because I was calling for his head the other day, but when you see performances like that you can't help but give praise and consideration for talent

Ming
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Ming »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:I think it's great that Jarvis has a slower ball, but I'd really like to see the occasional quicker ball.
I'd rephrase the first part to say its great that he's WORKING on a slower ball. But it still needs work, because way too many end up wayward or full tosses. Plus, the fundamentals of his normal bowling aren't right. I was very disappointed at how toothless he looked last night.
Peterhouse U14C 4th change bowler and no. 10 batsman (but only because Aaron didn't have a bat).