Is Waller really that bad

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
FlowerPower
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Is Waller really that bad

Post by FlowerPower »

This is a common theme from my friend hhm. Did a quick analysis and this is what I found:

His ODI career is in two sections 2009 and post 2011 almost dead bang right the middle (14/13 matches respectively). Chalk and cheese. Ironically, his 2009 struggles were against Kenya and Bangladesh. Averaging 15, at a strikerate of 69. He was rightly dropped.

Fast forward to 2011, he re enters the scene, hitting a 99* versus NZ, averaging 40 at SR of 106. 2012, as is the case for everyone yielded 3 barren matches, averaging 11 on the fateful NZ tour. 2013 has started off nicely, a 50, average of 30 at SR of 80.

He's struggled in his first chance, against Kenya (ave 23) and Bangladesh (13), and as mentioned already, rightly dropped.

Post 2011, he's averaged 31 vs Bangladesh, 30 vs WI, 43 vs NZ, failing only against Pakistan (13). He commands a decent average (for a number 5/6) of 30, 3 50s, SR 78.

Compare with MVP Chigs (arbitrary yardstick batting there about) in this period (2011+)
Ave 22, 1 50, SR of 78.

Somehow one is MVP and the other a heinous aberration? :roll: :? :? ....and before you say one is an allrounder the other isnt....Waller actually has a better average (which isn't anything to write home about, but better than MVP)

PS: If we had decent operners, despite the very compelling argument put up by BRM on another thread that Vusi is actually good opening and loses it after he has settled, I am still with Hhm about having our top order being Vusi/Hami/Taylor 6/7 is still for grabs. 6 would be the keeper, 7 for me would go to MVP, for his being able to fill in the 5th bowler slot, especially LHB infested opposition. In slower conditions, and requiring runs, Waller would be my choice. Where we have our quota of 5 bowlers then neither of these guys would make it as that slot would be taken up by the fifth bowler. Should Taylor take the gloves then 6 opens up, for either Craig or Williams the other taking up. Personally I would like 7 depending on conditions to either Waller or Chigs (e.g. Waller at Queens and Chigs HSC, etc).
1. Mawoyo 2. Duffin 3. Sibanda 4. Taylor 5. Masakadza 6. Williams 7. Chakabva 8. Creamer 9. Jarvis 10. Rainsford 11. Mpofu

eugene

Re: Is Waller really that bad

Post by eugene »

Waller may not have the best technique but he is scoring runs and that is all that matters - unless you are hhm.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

hhm

Post by hhm »

You're still on about the 99*!

Matsi got 89 odd from a lower position against an SA attack 5 times better than that NZ one which caused an uproar among their fans!

We'll never scare anyone with the like of Waller in our lineup.

We need Elton & Matsi. :D
1Mawoyo 2Vusi 3Hami 4Taylor(c) 5Craig 6Matsi 7Taibu(wk) 8Elton 9Cremer 10Rainsford 11Mpofu 12Jarvis

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

hhm, this topic is not a contest between Matsi and Waller.
And if it was, it's certainly wouldn't be a close one... I don't think Matsi has any stats that are better than Waller's.

Regarding the original post, no Waller is not as bad as certain elements make out. He's been one of our better players on this tour for starters.

eugene

Post by eugene »

Your still on about an 89 from 2009 where he mostly faced Ryan McLaren and Johan Botha?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Sometimes Waller looks like a club cricketer, batting, bowling, fielding ... in the first ODI I thought he would never middle another ball in his life, but he gets decent results by Zim standards. Zim need more players who make the most of their talents.

hhm

Post by hhm »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:And if it was, it's certainly wouldn't be a close one...
Absolutely!

19 yrs old vs gough, wasim, waqar, shoaib, murali, polly, ntini, vaas etc

or 25(&27)yrs old vs ?,?,?,&?
1Mawoyo 2Vusi 3Hami 4Taylor(c) 5Craig 6Matsi 7Taibu(wk) 8Elton 9Cremer 10Rainsford 11Mpofu 12Jarvis

hhm

Post by hhm »

Sometimes foreignfield?

Don't you mean almost always?

He is still to make the most of his talents in anything notable. Apart from that 26 in the 2nd ODI, Malcolm has been batting for himself!

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Every single thread is being turned into this ridiculous debate, it's putting me off coming here all together.

Somebody make a thread with Wallers name in it, people start to provoke Hhm by writing his name in bold, then he takes the bate and airs his bias, racial views. It's happening in every single thread lads. Come on :| :idea:

eugene

Post by eugene »

I think you should have bolded every single thread. hhm would have.