Breaking... Taylor retires

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sam_ahm

Re: Breaking... Taylor retires

Post by sam_ahm »

It is an emotional decision by Brendan, and an incorrect one. Even if you consider Williams, Raza and Ervine, Taylor is a class above them. He is the best batsman to have played for Zimbabwe after Andy Flower.

Never thought BT would do this. Terribly disappointed.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

It's with a heavy heart that I'm announcing that tomorrow is my last game for my beloved country. 17 year's of extreme highs and extreme lows and I wouldn't change it for the world.

It's taught me to humble, to always remind myself how lucky I was to be in the position I was in for so long. To wear the badge with pride and leave everything on the field.

My goal was to always leave the team in better position as to when I first arrived back in 2004 , I hope I have done that.

I'm so thankful for the friendships I've gain around the world, you will always be with me and I hope to cross paths again in the near future.

To Zimbabwe Cricket.
Thank you for the opportunity and I hope I have made our country proud in some small way. 🇿🇼

To my team mates and coaches past and present. I thank you from the bottom of my heart ❤🙏 I will never forget you all.

To the fans back home who have been so loyal to me over the years. I'm eternally grateful.

To my friends at home, my parents and my best mates my two brother's who have been with me every step of the way.
Thank you so much.

Finally to my wife @tkellyanne
and our four beautiful boy's. You have meant everything to me on this journey and it wouldn't have been possible without you.
No more airport heartaches.
I look forward to our next chapter. I love you all very much.

BT

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Hope Rajput F***s off ASAP. Has done nothing for Zimbabwe cricket. Good luck Nepal.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Heartbroken is probably the best way to describe the feeling. It feels like you've lost a family member or a friend you've grown up with. I remember following a 2006 series in October time in Bangladesh where Gary Brent returned, and the only player I was even close to being interested in watching was BT. I really hope we can squeeze out another year or 2 from sean williams

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I'm just hoping Brendan changes his mind if other seniors stick around and plays the WC Qualifier.

I'm just so upset hearing this and I'm not even a Zimbabwean. I was thinking with all the seniors available it will be great if Zimbabwe just play freely and don't worry too much about results and let's see how it goes until the Qualifiers.

This is so heartbreaking guys.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

This news has been coming for awhile I think. I maintain my prediction that within five/ten years we will be battling it out with Nigeria and Uganda and will be well behind Namibia.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Look I hate it but is it really a surprise?
A- he has countless times tries to organise a players Union and the players themselves rejected it
B- he is better than all the coaches. I’ve heard he coaches the coach and they seek advice from him (I’ve interpreted that to be from Matsi).
C- you can tell he’s just about having fun lately
D- random uninformed amateurs have mouthed off about him being a has been on Facebook. I’ve personally witnessed his wife getting upset in the comments and then himself coming in to placate his wife whilst basically saying ‘people can habe their opinions’. I’m sure a legend of the local game would love seeing random niggas slandering him online. Would take its toll.
E- told he isn’t part of the T20 plans despite obviously being good enough
F- fitness
G- I recall he want happy with his contract after the initial one to bring him home

What I don’t get is the timing- why not play that last WC?
Despite all that I listed. There is something here we don’t know.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

As a zimbo this is so upsetting. He’s above cricket - he’s a national hero to me and many others in this country. Without doubt Zim’s greatest white ball player of all time. This sounds mad but I’d rather all of Raza, Willo and Slug retire than BT - that’s how attached I am to the great man. My favourite cricketer of all time.

Desperately disappointing and I’m not sure I can even bring myself to watching the game tomorrow knowing it is his last.

Rajput’s legacy is one of chaos and disaster. Nepal fans should be worried. Mutendera and Hammy too - surely them dropping him from the T20’s was the final straw.

I’m very upset. Where do we go from here?

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

This sucks. I don't think there is anyone that can step up and fill the gap he will leave. None of the youngsters are consistently good enough or at that level.

ZC are heading down a path of destruction and it's going to affect the youngsters big time. Rajput needs to go.

Xlife
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Xlife »

So many people here simping for Taylor, y'all need to grow a pair... Yes, he has been a great player for Zimbabwe and should be remembered as one of the legends.

BUT at the end of the day, he is old, he has proven multiple times that he is not loyal to Zim cricket, he has clearly been unmotivated for a while (I've mentioned this several times before), he is unfit, he is unhappy, and the time for him to retire was always coming... Why are people surprised?

Time to focus on developing the exciting young crop of batsman we have and move forward. Perhaps Taylor can contribute as a coach in the future?