Zimbabwe Vs Uganda | ICC T20 Qualifier | 26 November 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: Zimbabwe Vs Uganda | ICC T20 Qualifier | 26 November 2023

Post by TapsC2 »

I would say the pressure will be on Dave, Matsi, Ervine, Williams and Chatara. I can see the first 3 getting different posts. The last 2 I don't know. I hope they play the Ireland ODIs as a farewell.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

There’s issues right through the team.

Muzarabani has been up and down. For some reason he doesn’t seem to be as threatening as 1-2 years ago. Maybe the successive injuries have taken a toll. He’s still great, but seems to have peaked.

Nothing to say about Chatara.

Jongwe is too fat to get into the XI. How has that situation been allowed to happen ffs?

Madande’s glove work isn’t good enough at this level, he’s demonstrated it this past week.

Madhevere - batting at number EIGHT now?!?! Wtf. Why the fuck is he anywhere near the team if the coaches think he is so bereft of confidence and ability that he needs to bat at 8?!?!?!

Marumani, I want him to succeed more than anyone but his international returns are shocking.

Burl is inconsistent.

Kaia is not a T20 player. I’m not rubbishing him in other formats but he’s just too slow for this format.

Also everyone on here fucking loves our all rounders but their bowling IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH on a consistent basis. This is exactly why you need a frontline, high quality spinner. Raza/Burl/Wes/Williams are all capable bowlers on their day but as a collective are simply not reliable enough whatsoever. This is the exact reason that every other successful T20 side in the world has an awesome frontline spin bowler.
Wellington has had a bad tournament so maybe it’s not him. I’m not writing him off completely though.
Mavuta as a leggie is the obvious one to invest in but he’s fell out with everyone apparently so some effort needs to be made to build bridges there.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I've just got in and watched the last 3 overs.
That was devastating. I'm gutted. Shattered.

To me it was clear we needed another 2 batsmen. You've got Welch and Ervine warming the bench and they're playing the extra spinner, who also gets a batting promotion and bottles it. If you're not going to put the best team on the park then you thoroughly completely and utterly deserve what you get.
Unfortunately this will continue until we are no longer even an Associate team. If you keep giving incompetent people millions of dollars to run cricket as a family business this is the result. The chickens are coming home to roost.
If they think Inno and Maru are better openers than Nick Welch then I'm at a loss for words. Not having Welch in the batting line up was a massive massive massive mistake. Let him settle into his role and he will deliver.

It's hindsight but I did say it before the game, Jongwe was a better option than Larry with pace off dibbly dobblies and he's an extra batting option. That was a gut wrenching last over from Larry.

How does Raza mess up the bowling changes that he gets to bowl the last over? I didn't watch the game but surely there's a mistake there? I knew he'd give himself the last over. Game was pretty much lost by then anyway, but still.

I suspect admin will give themselves a pay increase to calm their shattered nerves and look for a couple of scapegoats that they're not related to.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Googly wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:30 am

How does Raza mess up the bowling changes that he gets to bowl the last over? I didn't watch the game but surely there's a mistake there? I knew he'd give himself the last over.
You called Raz Dawg bowling himself at key times when his captaincy was announced :lol: where else could he go after messing the changes up though?!

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

TapsC2 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:24 am
I would say the pressure will be on Dave, Matsi, Ervine, Williams and Chatara. I can see the first 3 getting different posts. The last 2 I don't know. I hope they play the Ireland ODIs as a farewell.
Ya they deserve something. Even Larry, he’s been a great servant on his day.

I feel Williams has more to give, he gave that impression in interviews at the 50 over qualifiers. Who knows now though?! Realistically the big three have nothing to look forward to now other than the England tour but that’s 2025 which is a long way away when you’re approaching 40. No way all of them if any will be there.

Sad end for the big three if it is the end. The younger lads will be back though.

chetanpatel1981

Post by chetanpatel1981 »

Ohh ..is this lost against Uganda....shut the door for Zimbabwe team to Qualify for T20 cricket world cup ???

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

Too many changes, the side is never settled . If you are going to bring Welch in give him more than 1 game ffs. The selections have been puzzling for a long time now, Chatara has been ordinary for the last 12 months yet he keeps getting games, why ? Batting Wellington at 6 is probably the best example of a team in shambles. He is a number 9 bat at best but I don't think he is a t20 player anyway. Needs a clean slate , the time is probably right for Ervine and Williams to step aside now. Evans is the only bowler missing who can make the team better and get Bennett in as well and ffs play Welch. The captaincy also is a big concern , nobody is any good at it. Williams is the best I've seen from this group but he'll be gone

Googly

Post by Googly »

Just looking at the scorecard, the spinners bowled 2 overs each, Burl bowled one (for 10) and the seamers bowled 4 each. Blessing and Richie should surely have bowled the 19th and 20th?
Seems like Raza was ringing the changes. Welly bowled economically but only got 2 overs?

I'm at a loss as to how we lost this? At a complete loss.
They are going to fire everyone whose surname doesn't begin with M.

Googly

Post by Googly »

chetanpatel1981 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:40 am
Ohh ..is this lost against Uganda....shut the door for Zimbabwe team to Qualify for T20 cricket world cup ???
Last edited by Googly on Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

Googly wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:30 am
I've just got in and watched the last 3 overs.
That was devastating. I'm gutted. Shattered.

To me it was clear we needed another 2 batsmen. You've got Welch and Ervine warming the bench and they're playing the extra spinner, who also gets a batting promotion and bottles it. If you're not going to put the best team on the park then you thoroughly completely and utterly deserve what you get.
Unfortunately this will continue until we are no longer even an Associate team. If you keep giving incompetent people millions of dollars to run cricket as a family business this is the result. The chickens are coming home to roost.
If they think Inno and Maru are better openers than Nick Welch then I'm at a loss for words. Not having Welch in the batting line up was a massive massive massive mistake. Let him settle into his role and he will deliver.

It's hindsight but I did say it before the game, Jongwe was a better option than Larry with pace off dibbly dobblies and he's an extra batting option. That was a gut wrenching last over from Larry.

How does Raza mess up the bowling changes that he gets to bowl the last over? I didn't watch the game but surely there's a mistake there? I knew he'd give himself the last over. Game was pretty much lost by then anyway, but still.

I suspect admin will give themselves a pay increase to calm their shattered nerves and look for a couple of scapegoats that they're not related to.
Totally agree 👍