5th T20I | Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh | May 12, 2024

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: 5th T20I | Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh | May 12, 2024

Post by Googly »

I'm really curious about that T10 logo on the Zim shirts. Anyone know anything about that?
That charlatans circus appears to not be coming here and of course he hasn't paid some of the players. He'd have paid the overseas guys, but under advisement he'd have been told not to worry about the local lads. Why eat cake when sadza is just as good?

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

We just aren’t a T20 country
Almost all our bats appear bedy classically trained. One of the reasons we seem to put up more of a fight in tests in terms of batting.

What always surprises me with our guys is why they don’t swing more in the power plays. There’s way more room for error as you just need to clear the circle for the most part. Players really should be clamouring to open as a big score really sets you up in this format for a Zim career.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by CalZim »

We lose 4-1 to this Bangladesh side yet USA have beaten the exact same side today :shock:

Crastle_cog

Post by Crastle_cog »

Win-win for Kriterion I'd say :lol: :lol:

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Looks like my predicition of Bangladesh getting pumped at the WC is well on its way to fruition.

Now I had predicted getting to Super 8 stage and getting pummeled. They might not even make it past the group stage at this point. Sri Lanka will be heavy favorites, and even Netherlands will too. But now even the likes of Nepal will think they've got a shot at beating Bangladesh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Yeah, looking at that result Zimbabwe should have won at least one more game, easily. It's about the mindset as well, you've got to believe that you can.

Having said that, we should also acknowledge that a lot of these associate nations are no longer pushovers, they've improved a lot, esp in this T20 format. T20 is definitely the future, as much as I hate to say this, because this is the format which is expanding globally.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Everyone is thinking T20 has gone up a notch, watching this IPL. A helluva lot depends on the pitch when a big side plays an Associate. If the pitch is tricky the minnows are in with a shout. If its a flattie the big teams have about 9 batters than can lace it and their bowlers generally give less away.
I'm interested to see if we're going to see crazy scores and starts that seem to be the order of the day in the current IPL in this WC. It obviously depends on boundary sizes and pitches.
I don't think the pitches will be as batter friendly as the IPL pitches and I'll be surprised if we see many scores of over 200. If West Indies and USA have any sense they'll prepare low scoring pitches, really levels the playing field.

Googly

Post by Googly »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 7:50 am
Almost all our bats appear bedy classically trained. One of the reasons we seem to put up more of a fight in tests in terms of batting.

What always surprises me with our guys is why they don’t swing more in the power plays. There’s way more room for error as you just need to clear the circle for the most part. Players really should be clamouring to open as a big score really sets you up in this format for a Zim career.
I think it's a mindset. Raza is our only T20 bat with real self belief. The reality is that a lot of our batters haven't actually had that much coaching and they're left to their own devices in the formative years. I wish they'd had classic formal coaching! The white guys generally have a better grounding, having gone to better schools and had private coaching..and actively involved parents. One has to wonder how good some of the other guys would have been with the same start.
Everyone worries about a collapse and they bat conservatively, not having too much faith in the others. The mindset seems to be to post 150 so we've got something to bowl at.
We hardly ever get a good start. A huge percentage of games are won or lost in the first 6 overs. It puts so much pressure on the others, so hard to play with any freedom coming in at 30-3 after 6.
Then of course we don't have many guys that can lace a good ball, they just don't have the shot. You don't often need it here, you're going to get a bad ball that you can score off. I mean why play a higher risk shot when you know you're going to get a bad ball and you want to get a good score, pad your stats, put your hand up for selection.
It's not dissimilar when we're playing an international- a batter knows that 25 off 20 guarantees him another game.
Then we have guys with poor shot selection and poor placement. Poor in international terms.
If we played the big teams the better guys would figure it out. We no longer have that luxury, except in a world cup, and we can't ever seem to qualify, caught between a rock and a hard place. This continual failure to quali has had devastating consequences. Maybe when we host we'll turn the corner?

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 8:51 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 7:50 am

I think it's a mindset. Raza is our only T20 bat with real self belief. The reality is that a lot of our batters haven't actually had that much coaching and they're left to their own devices in the formative years. I wish they'd had classic formal coaching! The white guys generally have a better grounding, having gone to better schools and had private coaching..and actively involved parents. One has to wonder how good some of the other guys would have been with the same start.
Everyone worries about a collapse and they bat conservatively, not having too much faith in the others. The mindset seems to be to post 150 so we've got something to bowl at.
We hardly ever get a good start. A huge percentage of games are won or lost in the first 6 overs. It puts so much pressure on the others, so hard to play with any freedom coming in at 30-3 after 6.
Then of course we don't have many guys that can lace a good ball, they just don't have the shot. You don't often need it here, you're going to get a bad ball that you can score off. I mean why play a higher risk shot when you know you're going to get a bad ball and you want to get a good score, pad your stats, put your hand up for selection.
It's not dissimilar when we're playing an international- a batter knows that 25 off 20 guarantees him another game.
Then we have guys with poor shot selection and poor placement. Poor in international terms.
If we played the big teams the better guys would figure it out. We no longer have that luxury, except in a world cup, and we can't ever seem to qualify, caught between a rock and a hard place. This continual failure to quali has had devastating consequences. Maybe when we host we'll turn the corner?
Also feel we pushed the wrong guys for the format. They honestly should have been improving Cephas’ defence than playing Craig if we look at it fairly. Cephas tees off and our chances of winning quadruple. In T20s that is. 6 or 7 years ago the balance of games was 50/50. If Cephas had been given the almost 30 games Marumani has gotten I believe we might have had something there.

You can also see how almost all the kids now can clear the ropes. They have at least one shot they know if they get a good connection, nobody will catch it. This is against spin or pace. How many sixes did we see Craig, Sean and Regis hit off pace? Hami, BT and Raza are the only senior guys who adjusted

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Really good point about not hitting pace for six. One guy who did adapt strangely was Malcom Waller, he had a really good record in T20s. Elton too could smash the pacers over long on fairly frequently.