ODI Team

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: ODI Team

Post by Jemisi »

Welcome to the forum Jaybro

FlowerPower
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by FlowerPower »

betterdays wrote:
jaybro wrote:Hi all Im new to the forum I live in Aus but have a soft spot for Zim this would be my side for the 1st ODI Taking into consideration Jarvis' heavey work load and sore quad plus Meth is obviously injured aswell and working with the players in the squad here go's

Vusi
Hammie
Raza
Taylor
Waller
Williams
Chigs
Mushangwe
Mutombodzi
Shingi
Vitori
welcome Jaybro ... like the team, not sure you needed the preface about Jarvis though, i don't think he should be in the ODI team but this team looks good (looks like Mutombodzi's not in the squad so maybe Utseya?)
I think he did, as I too did. Issue is people lack objectivity. Jarvis is the brightest Test talent (although Shingi may want to have a say if hr can maintain his bright start). Howrver limited overs is a different game for him altogether hopefully he can adapt. Just like Hoggy for England and to lesser extent Steyn for Proteas one can br excellent for Tests and ordinary in limited overs, Jarvis is currently (hopefully not forever) in this category.

To compound matters the entire series is at Queens. So Id have the two Ms and Utseya, one of Shingi, Chatara, Vitori or Jarvis in that order with Chigs and Hami making the fifth bowler. ( 7 Chigs 8 Shingi 9 Utseya 10 Mutombodzi 11 Mushangwe)

Ideally Id have Mpofu and Rainsford (who have better control) as the two quicks and the 3 slow trio ( 7 Utseya 8 Mushangwe 9 Mutombodzi 10 Mpofu 11 Rainsford especially for Queens and subcontinent ).

Not hatting Jarvis but just being real, just like Chigs is not a Test player Jarvis isnt an ODI bowler.

Shingi Jarvis and Chigs in ODI is asking for it.

Good luck all the same hopefully Im proved wrong.
1. Mawoyo 2. Duffin 3. Sibanda 4. Taylor 5. Masakadza 6. Williams 7. Chakabva 8. Creamer 9. Jarvis 10. Rainsford 11. Mpofu

Boundary

Post by Boundary »

So, after an impressive 2 wins, how does a "permanent" ODI side look like? The batting debate seems settled but the bowling positions are anything but.

1. Vusi
2. Hami
3. Raza
4. Taylor
5. Williams
6. Waller
7. Chigs
8. Mushangwe/Mutombodzi/Utseya (can't make up my mind)?
9. Jarvis
10. Shingi?
11. Vitori?

Chatara and Mpofu are in with a shout but I wouldn't trust Meth in the one day stuff, he's too slow and would just be fodder for the modern player. If fitness issues raised by Heath are a real concern, I'd put Chatara in and move Shingi to the Test side during a series but what about a tournament like the World Cup? Prosper is seasoned player whose purpose seems to be to quickly go through the middle order without incurring much damage and I think that is a very clever idea because my concern with the leggies (Cremer and the 2 M's) is that someone can easily take them to the cleaners and put the match out of our reach. So as you can see, I haven't really made up my mind.

eugene

Post by eugene »

1. Vusi Sibanda
2. Sikander Raza
3. Sean Williams
4. Brendan Taylor
5. Hamilton Masakadza
6. Craig Ervine
7. Malcolm Waller
8. Elton Chigumbura
9. Shingirai Masakadza
10. Ray Price
11. Kyle Jarvis

I know Chigs is risky as the third seamer, but Hamilton has become a very useful 4th seamer so perhaps it will work. If we needed another bowler I would move Hami back to opening and sacrifice Raza.

There are too many bowlers I want to pick: Mutombodzi, Mushangwe, Mpofu, Rainsford, Cremer, Vitori, Chatara, Meth, Utseya - an embarrassment of riches.

My batting reserves would be PJ Moor, Kevin Kasuza, Nathan Waller, possibly Richmond Mutumbami (I don't know much about him in the limited overs game).
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

With current available players

1.V.Sibanda
2.H.Masakadza
3.S.Raza
4.B.Taylor C w/k
5.S.Williams
6.M.Waller
7.E.Chigumbura
8.T.Mutombodzi / S.Masakadza / T.Mupariwa
9.N.Mushangwe
10.E.Rainsford
11.K.Jarvis / B.Vitori /Chatara

Still think there is a place for Rainsford , he keeps it tight and can bowl at the death which Jarvis, Chatara and Vitori struggle with. I think it's time to move on from Utseya with Mushangwe and depending on the pitch Mutombodzi as well. I think you need the right balance in your attack so I think it's dangerous to have too many 'Attacking' bowlers in at once who may get you wickets but go for 5-6 an over e.g. Jarvis, Chatara & Vitori. Still believe there is a place for Mupariwa he's one of those bowlers who always takes wickets, Mpofu is not finished yet but I believe he must be made to earn a recall and not given automatic selection like before. Would still like to see Craig Ervine in for maybe Waller or Raza depending on form, for me Coventry would be in the squad but like Mpofu must demand a recall with solid domestic season.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Raza has a way to go yet to displace Ervine from the top 6. Price should be in. The seamers are all doing pretty well at the moment. No one has really risen to a new class, but the breadth of options is good.