2023 World Cup Qualifier discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: 2023 World Cup Qualifier discussion

Post by Kriterion_BD »

You don't need XI performers in the starting lineup...apart from probably India, no team has that; everyone has some passengers. Even India sometimes carries a passenger.

But you also won't win many games with just 2-3 decent performers and 7 or 8 passengers. You need 7-8 guys who can contribute in any given game in order to win consistently. There will be days when everyone fails...and there will be days when everyone clicks. But most of the time only half of your guys will show up in a single game. And half of 8 guys is more than half of 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

TapsC2 wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 8:30 am

Yes there is a real chance of a boycott now. I suspect they will most probably say number 9 qualifies. Having a third spot up for grabs at the qualifiers would be more interesting though
Lattest Cricinfo article suggests PCBs hybrid model may be back on the docket. BCCI, BCB, SLC, and ACB are all discussing at the IPL final but no final decision will be made until "consulting" with the PCB. The article PCB is not expecting any pushback on the hybrid and that the only main issue is whether India games will be hosted in the UAE or in Sri Lanka. Personally I vote for the UAE. No chance of rain, and world class stadiums with massive crowds for India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Afghanistan.

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

Selecting Ngarava over Evans is a no brainer at this point. Evans has done nothing with the bat to warrant his selection on the batting edge of his game. Chatara, Ngarava, Muzarabani and Masakadza will give you a solid 40 overs on their day.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

Googly

Post by Googly »

He's certainly missed out for too many times with the bat. It's frustrating because technically he's sound. I really thought he'd kick on with bat and ball, but he's stagnated.
It's happened to so many of our players.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 7:13 am
He's certainly missed out for too many times with the bat. It's frustrating because technically he's sound. I really thought he'd kick on with bat and ball, but he's stagnated.
It's happened to so many of our players.
My theory is that if you want to be the number 8 batsman for us, the lowest you can bat domestically is number 6. This is specifically for our level of domestic cricket. If I'm being honest I trust Wellington with the bat more than Evans as it stands. Evans has a higher ceiling but he is inconsistent. He already has a List A hundred but consistency is the issue. Probably better for him to move to a weaker franchise so that he can have more responsibility with the bat.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I'd go a step further-
We have such a shortage of guys that have potential to play up that they should decide who has potential and give them more opportunity at franchise and club level. He should bat 3 at club and 4 at franchise, give him a year to sink or swim.
And not lose track of the fact that he's a bowler first and foremost. We've got two seaming all-rounders- Brad and Luke. How scary is that!!

Otherwise it's more or less the same guys we see year in and year out. Anyone with real potential needs opportunity. These franchises obviously want to win so they keep picking the same guys that will do ok domestically, but we've seen them and they struggle higher up. No amount of franchise seasons will make them much different.
Not strictly true, but mostly. A big country like England can afford to let guys fight their way through the system but do we have that luxury? Get the better guys in a high performance set up and prioritize them in franchise or we're wasting time and we fall further behind all the time.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Josh Little being rested from the Lord's Test in order to be fresh for the WCQ. Unfortunate, but at least Ireland are putting an importance on the WCQ even if Netherlands and Scotland aren't or can't.

pillowprocter

Post by pillowprocter »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 4:24 am
Josh Little being rested from the Lord's Test in order to be fresh for the WCQ. Unfortunate, but at least Ireland are putting an importance on the WCQ even if Netherlands and Scotland aren't or can't.
Isn't he at the IPL

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 4:24 am
He is playing in the IPL 🤦‍♂️

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

Today is the last game before qualifiers. We should be playing 11 which Dave thinks should start in the first game. Final opportunity to see if that combination is the right one