2023 World Cup Qualifier discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
tej_27

Re: 2023 World Cup Qualifier discussion

Post by tej_27 »

sam_ahm wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 5:21 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 4:24 am
Josh Little being rested from the Lord's Test in order to be fresh for the WCQ. Unfortunate, but at least Ireland are putting an importance on the WCQ even if Netherlands and Scotland aren't or can't.
He is playing in the IPL 🤦‍♂️
I think he meant he could have joined the team after IPL .but CI chose not to play him so that he is fresh for qualifiers

Crastle_cog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Crastle_cog »

Just can't fix my head around the last man in our world cup squad. The 14 I concluded with are:
Ervine
Kaia
Gumbie(wk)
Madande(wk)
Madhevere
Raza
Williams
Burl
Mavuta
Masakadza
Muzarabani
Chatara
Ngarava
Evans

Who would the last man be folks?
Jongwe can be an important asset but I just ain't sure. If this was t20 I would literally have no doubts.
Then you've Marumani
But would he really be needed? Hasn't shown enough either in this series.
Been a fan of Campbell and Myers but neither of them even played in the series, the later missing out through injury.
Nyauchi gets a shout but in an ideal world he should be fighting with the 3 other frontline seamers.
Will leave the last spot to you guys and the ZC selectors.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Crastle_cog wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 1:37 pm
Just can't fix my head around the last man in our world cup squad. The 14 I concluded with are:
Ervine
Kaia
Gumbie(wk)
Madande(wk)
Madhevere
Raza
Williams
Burl
Mavuta
Masakadza
Muzarabani
Chatara
Ngarava
Evans

Who would the last man be folks?
Jongwe can be an important asset but I just ain't sure. If this was t20 I would literally have no doubts.
Then you've Marumani
But would he really be needed? Hasn't shown enough either in this series.
Been a fan of Campbell and Myers but neither of them even played in the series, the later missing out through injury.
Nyauchi gets a shout but in an ideal world he should be fighting with the 3 other frontline seamers.
Will leave the last spot to you guys and the ZC selectors.
I guess it comes down to a few factors, being

- Composition of the ideal first XI ie how many bats, spinners, seamers etc

- How confident they feel in those 8 batsman

- Do they think Marumani could make an impact

- Do they want to have a ‘wildcard’ up their sleeve ie Chivanga’s pace

I actually think it’s clear the composition of the XI they’ll go with. 7 bats (inc wk) 3 seamers & a spinner. So it makes sense to carry a spare of everything plus an all-rounder.

I can’t see the point in carrying an extra batsman, especially since there isn’t anyone that I can outside of the squad that would make much of a difference. Shumba & Marumani have shown they’re not ready quite yet.

The wildcard option of Chivanga is interesting, but ultimately he can’t be trusted in a big game v Sri Lanka or West Indies. So I’d stick with Jongwe, he showed yesterday that his bowling offers something different especially on flat decks.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Marumani will be that 15th man, they can go with Jongwe Or Chivanga bit I don't really think they will ne needed in any case. It's a bit unfortunate that Campbell, Myers, Curran were not tried at all so by default Marumani gets that spot.

To be honest I'm fed up with this long rope given to Marumani, they need to try out others like, they cannot have different rules for different players.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

sam_ahm wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 7:07 am
Marumani will be that 15th man, they can go with Jongwe Or Chivanga bit I don't really think they will ne needed in any case. It's a bit unfortunate that Campbell, Myers, Curran were not tried at all so by default Marumani gets that spot.

To be honest I'm fed up with this long rope given to Marumani, they need to try out others like, they cannot have different rules for different players.
I still have my doubts Curran was ever actually available for selection

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

He was

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

USA haven’t selected any of Corey Anderson, Shadley van Shalwyk or Liam Plunkett, all of whom I believe have just completed their qualification period and are eligible. In a way it’s kinda nice they are sticking with the squad that got them this far.

Ian Holland also not released by Hampshire.

I think Zim are the last country to announce their squad….of course!!! :lol:

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 11:16 am
He was
Any new evidence to support this?

Seems odd that every other player just about got a run in one squad or another yet he didn’t

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

jaybro wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 11:14 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 11:16 am
He was
Any new evidence to support this?

Seems odd that every other player just about got a run in one squad or another yet he didn’t
I have it from a very reliable source He was definitely available, 100% at the start of our season and he played as a domestic player this year. Unfortunately he had a bad season and tbh was nowhere near full national team selection.

So He left the country early March, eg. before the North/South/A/Select/XI squads etc.

He’s playing as the Pro for Norfolk in the minor counties championship I believe. And some club cricket. I’m not sure if he will be back here next season. I hope he does give it one last try though

CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by CalZim »

Less than 2 weeks to the qualifiers and we still don't have a squad announced ffs.