Zimbabwe v Sri Lanka | ICC CWC Qualifier | 2nd July 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo

Re: Zimbabwe v Sri Lanka | ICC CWC Qualifier | 2nd July 2023

Post by secretzimbo »

jaybro wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:28 am
Why are we talking about PJ Moor?

He’s gone

It’s over

Move on
preach brother

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Again, haven't watched today but seems like we've not learnt much new?

SL are the class side in the tournament by a mile.

Do or die game with Scotland. As others have said we'd have probably taken that a couple of weeks ago. It's going to be incredibly nervy though. Jeez that really won't be an enjoyable day.

Maddening that they've stuck with Wes this long but that surely has to be it now. Kaia has done literally nothing wrong? Get him back in the side. I'd also bring Marumani in, probably for Jongwe? We've been a batter short since Madande got injured.

Part of me can see them bringing Chatara back in for the crunch game for his experience. Not sure I'd agree based on his performances so far but there you go.

Ultimately we really should be beating Scotland, especially at home. We are a better side, no doubt. But the UAE ghosts will be lingering for sure. Anything can happen. It's going to be tough.

Also, can't help but think we've really missed Reggie. He was a higher class keeper than all of Gumbie/Madande/Marumani and another experienced head with the bat could have helped, not least because he was always happy to bat in pretty much any position depending on requirements.

Xlife
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Xlife »

sam_ahm wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:26 am
I stopped watching after that 1st innings and that appears to be a good choice. If Evans has dropped catches then there us no way he is playing ahead of Chatara. This was his big chance and he seems to have messed up again.
Correct... this forum has a tendency to overrate mediocre white players, it's a trend going back years.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Xlife wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:31 am
sam_ahm wrote:
I stopped watching after that 1st innings and that appears to be a good choice. If Evans has dropped catches then there us no way he is playing ahead of Chatara. This was his big chance and he seems to have messed up again.
Correct... this forum has a tendency to overrate mediocre white players, it's a trend going back years.
:lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

Xlife wrote:
Googly wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:23 am
Xlife wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:21 am

If he can't get a game for a side like Ireland (who are arguably an inferior side, at best on par) what makes him a good player?
Well I've seen him play often from when he was a kid and he is a good player.
I can't say why he's not getting games, perhaps the same reason Madhevere is?
There are "good players" in our domestic setup, what we need are "very good" to great players to replace the big 3 and perform at international level. So why the clamour for him in particular?
I'm not pitching for him to be in the side at all. Had he stayed here I'm almost certain he'd be our keeper batsman. He's absolutely good enough.
He'd have to have come off some good domestic stats.

He made a decision that was probably right for him at the time and it hasn't worked out for him.
He ran afoul of folk anti him for his part in the attempted coup and he rightfully felt he'd probably cooked his goose.
Had he hung in for the Houghton era he'd likely be in the side.
I just don't like folk gunning a good guy and player.

Also I agree about the trend to up mediocre white players, but a mediocre Moor (for example) is still good enough until someone else puts his hand up. We are waiting patiently.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

It's mind boggling to me that all these bowlers were picked yet don't get used . The selection of this side is terrible , You only need 3 seamers and the part time spinners then you can boost the batting . If it's not sorted for Scotland then game over.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Why didn't Chakabva end up making the come back? It is true that he has been missed. Very experienced with the field setup and bowling options. In another world we would have had Regis and Ballance to back up Sean Craig and Raza. It's a shame how things never really work out for us in terms of player retention.

I will also always wonder why Regis didn't wait a year to make his move. I also think in a weird way Burl has filled the batting gap Regis left behind.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Aside from Kaia and Marumani do we have any other domestic players that would do well at this level?

Jeez Regis' time has surely come and gone?

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Yeah we put up with Regis being an awful ODI batsman for years, finally started finding his feet and then he retires lol

Sorry for lol
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Xlife wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:31 am
sam_ahm wrote:
I won't put it that way. Evans is good and I always wanted him in the side but it is about taking chances. If he is dropping catches then obviously it hurts and that itself will prompt the selectors to drop him.

On top of that Chatara despite getting thrashed is somehow picking wickets. So it becomes even more difficult for Evans to breakthrough.