Zimbabwe V Ireland 5th T20I [Match Thread]

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Zimbabwe V Ireland 5th T20I [Match Thread]

Post by CalZim »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:19 am

Madhevere
Chakabva
Ervine/Myers (if Craig is injured)
Taylor
Williams
Raza
Burl/Shumba (if Burl is injured)
Jongwe
Masakadza
Muzarabani
Ngarava
I like this XI if Burl is fit, Craig isn’t injured just didn’t field because of fatigue and a bit of a niggle.

It’s harsh on Myers but we have to go with the best XI and he doesn’t fit in just yet.

If Burl is injured i would go Marumani up top so Regis doesn’t have to open. Plenty of bowling options for 5th bowler; Raza, Williams, madhevere.

I think Jongwe has had an impressive series so he will definitely be the 3rd pacer. Knowing Zimbabwe though if Burl is injured DT will play. Ireland always together wickets that are better for pacers.

It’s vital that we get at least 2 wins this ODI series, I’m really worried that we will finish bottom of the super league, still early days but these games are crucial.

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

The final t20 also proved a point I made vs BD to Rajkumur that anything can happen in the final over. You just need to take the game there. Maybe Because DT luckily bowled well, The bowling changes were top drawer and for once showed the importance of playing a lot of cricket and learning from mistakes. Instead of bowling Muzarabani in the last over, he was done in the 18th, and he bowled a good one to keep the pressure. Then Jongwe barring the 6 that almost changed things gave Ngarava a decent 9 to defend in the last over. That was brilliant.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:53 am
The final t20 also proved a point I made vs BD to Rajkumur that anything can happen in the final over. You just need to take the game there. Maybe Because DT luckily bowled well, The bowling changes were top drawer and for once showed the importance of playing a lot of cricket and learning from mistakes. Instead of bowling Muzarabani in the last over, he was done in the 18th, and he bowled a good one to keep the pressure. Then Jongwe barring the 6 that almost changed things gave Ngarava a decent 9 to defend in the last over. That was brilliant.
how do. you guys rate ngarava this series?

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

slcricfan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:59 am
CholeZimbo wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:53 am
how do. you guys rate ngarava this series?
Improved and getting some good consistency.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

I think Jongwe has enhanced his reputation, it is clear he wants to bowl in the pressure situations. Shame his batting has fallen away a bit.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Milton Shumba has the makings of a very good batsman in the longer formats, both tests and ODIs. He looks technically better than Wesley and Myers. If only he can be groomed properly.

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

sam_ahm wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:08 am
Milton Shumba has the makings of a very good batsman in the longer formats, both tests and ODIs. He looks technically better than Wesley and Myers. If only he can be groomed properly.
If it were up to me I'd have him open with Regis and slot Wes around 5

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

If everybody is fit then the 1st ODI for me would be like

Regis
Wes
BT
Craig
Williams
Shumba
Raza
Burl
Jongwe
Blessing
Ngarava

Shumba has adjusted better to the European conditions so I think Myers has to sit the first one out. Shumba batting with Craig especially has really helped him. I think they are very similar actually.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Interesting little interview with Craig here

https://www.sundaymail.co.zw/ervine-loo ... ague-games

Says Regis really helped him with the captaincy as he has a lot of experience being a domestic captain. Pretty sure he will be the next captain. No other keeper is close to him right now so it makes sense

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:19 am
From what we saw, if we get Stirling early, Ireland are not much of a batting threat. On paper we should be winning this and Ngarava has looked like a bowler who has benefitted from these 5 games. The experience of defending 5 and 9 in the final over will do him a world of good. The rustiness of our senior batters and the momentum with the Irish bowlers could mean we might lose the 1st ODI. I am going for a 1-2 series win for us. In ODIs, Wes has done better in the middle order but he may have to open with Regis this time.

Madhevere
Chakabva
Ervine/Myers (if Craig is injured)
Taylor
Williams
Raza
Burl/Shumba (if Burl is injured)
Jongwe
Masakadza
Muzarabani
Ngarava

The first choice team can easily beat them if Stirling is managed. Oh and good that there is a warm up game for Taylor, Williams and Raza to get some time in the middle.
Just on that point, Wes has done really well in 50-over cricket in the middle order. I think he has to stay down there tbh. That means someone else has to platy up top and open along with Regis. That's going to have to be either Taylor, Raza or Shumba. No idea which. It's annoying that we don't have any decent openers in any format at the moment. Hopefully someone can fill the role well temporarily.

Also I think Burl will miss the ODIs. Sprained ankle and it looked pretty bad when he went off the field during warm up apparently. Can't see him being ready next week.