[Match Thread] 1st Test, Zimbabwe vs West Indies

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC

Re: [Match Thread] 1st Test, Zimbabwe vs West Indies

Post by TapsC »

Looking back I would say the first innings collapse and that Bishoo knock took the game away from us. Every moment counts in test cricket. In the end I think only Taylor and Hami scored more than Mire and he did get a wicket ( don't think Bobby got one), as much as he doesn't look the part he got the job done. The fact that Mpofu got more runs in the test than Williams, Waller, Chakabva and I think even Raza should be really embarrassing. For me Waller is out. I'm even tempted to put PJ in there because he does have a 30/40 in him (just like Mire) even though he isn't the best keeper.

Another point is that I asked earlier on why they prepared such a pitch, people said it's because we are better players of spin. That is clearly on paper and not the reality if guys like Williams and Ervine who are our best players of spin are getting out like that. We are the underdogs so I think the first think we must do is not lose, then we can work on winning from there. Flat pitch for the next test please.

If the squad stays the same I would go with

Chamu
Mire
Hami
Ervine
Taylor
Williams
Raza
Pj(wk)
Cremer
Chisoro
Jarvis

With Jarvis Mire and Chamu sharing the new ball. I know stats don't back Chisoro but at least he would bowl 30 or so overs unlike Mpofu who bowled just 10 I think in 1 innings. If they change the squad I would bring Burl and Chatara into the team instead of Chamu and Chisoro.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Some left field team selections for test 2:

Byrom (convince him!) to open with Mire, and Masakadza sliding down to 3, followed by everyone down by one, ousting Waller. I would love to see that fairy tale Byrom - Masakadza partnership. Regis and Williams switching 7 and 8. Yes, Williams gets in at 8 as a bowler who can bat a bit, he was at many points more accurate and imaginative than Cremer in this match as a bowler, even when Cremer had clearly raised his own game. But he can't be trusted with the bat in tests anymore, so demotion to 8.

Kasuza in place of Byrom in the above statement, everything else remains same.

Keep everything as is but replace Waller at 8 with Mashinge at 8.

Chamu and Moor are just "better than Waller" options, not absolute, but only relatively sensible. So a NO for me in both cases.

Of course Chatara in if fit enough for the 5 day rigor, but replacing whom? Probably Chatara replacing Waller again, Mpofu and Jarvis moving up one place each in the batting order. I thought we underbowled Mpofu who actually did not look all that bad. He can conjure up a feary burst out of nowhere if we are interested in using him, so he must stay. Especially after his final hour entertainment.

Basically, get anyone for Waller. We have had enough of this sentimental selection. He is not good enough to step up. Maruma, Vusi situation all over again.

By the way, does Taylor think he is Taibu with his running between the wickets? :)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I would ditch Waller for a second spinner, just not Chisoro.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Jemisi wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:43 pm

First innings we threw 5 wickets away. 2 runouts plus Williams and Regis soft in the Second.

Opening partnership worked well enough. Bowling was decent.
Well if the boys didn't throw their wickets away (both innings), an umpire would always find a away to screw ZIM anyways.

Chicken and egg problem: you can't get consistently good decisions without strong play and you can't play strong without getting consistently good decisions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:27 pm
Some left field team selections for test 2:

Byrom (convince him!) to open with Mire, and Masakadza sliding down to 3, followed by everyone down by one, ousting Waller. I would love to see that fairy tale Byrom - Masakadza partnership. Regis and Williams switching 7 and 8. Yes, Williams gets in at 8 as a bowler who can bat a bit, he was at many points more accurate and imaginative than Cremer in this match as a bowler, even when Cremer had clearly raised his own game. But he can't be trusted with the bat in tests anymore, so demotion to 8.

Kasuza in place of Byrom in the above statement, everything else remains same.

Keep everything as is but replace Waller at 8 with Mashinge at 8.

Chamu and Moor are just "better than Waller" options, not absolute, but only relatively sensible. So a NO for me in both cases.

Of course Chatara in if fit enough for the 5 day rigor, but replacing whom? Probably Chatara replacing Waller again, Mpofu and Jarvis moving up one place each in the batting order. I thought we underbowled Mpofu who actually did not look all that bad. He can conjure up a feary burst out of nowhere if we are interested in using him, so he must stay. Especially after his final hour entertainment.

Basically, get anyone for Waller. We have had enough of this sentimental selection. He is not good enough to step up. Maruma, Vusi situation all over again.

By the way, does Taylor think he is Taibu with his running between the wickets? :)
Good ideas.

Taps also had a reasonable idea of drawing first before going for the win. Thats the template BD used for 3-4 years. Issue is, does ZIM want to spend that much time before winning Tests?

IMO, a spinning pitch was always a bad idea. ZIM batters don't like facing spin unless its a pitch with absolutely zero turn - and even then all you need is 30-40 overs of left arm spin to bundle ZIM for 400 or less. The fact is that the batsman rely almost solely on sweeping and reverse sweeping to get the runs vs spin on a turning track. The sweep is a very risky shot and should only be used occaisionally. You can get a top edge, you can get an under edge onto the stumps, you can miss completely and be bowled or lbw. There is no other shot that sets you up for some many different types of dismissals.

You have to play straight to spin, rely on the cut and pull if the ball is short. Klusner should employ a "no sweep" rule. It sounds attractive at first and then makes the players impatient.

A seaming pitch is also no good unless you are facing an Asian team.

So a dead flat track with the intent of drawing is probably the best idea.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

No they need to keep on playing the sweep shot. Just need to execute it better.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

Think the boys should be super proud yet disappointed ,day 2 cost us big. We showed we belong at this level but Cleary the big stage and zimbabwe is a odd occasion, we need more cricket and to learn to play for 5 days. Great effort by Jarvis and mpofu at the end and a solid knock by Brendan ( welcome back ). Overall there will be some changes and Williams is the one worrying me the most , he plays away from his body always on the back foot to quicks , he's gonna struggle unless he changes that. Really disappointed in Waller , Williams and even ervine for his 2nd innings soft wicket. Overall lots of negatives but also some positives . We go away we learn we come back quicker. Well played Jarvis , hammy , mire and cremer and even though no wickets mpofu showed heart .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Jemisi wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:59 pm
pariah wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:51 pm

Mawoyo
Craig
Hami
Taylor
Vusi(c)
Kasuza
Mutizwa(wk)
Shingi
Panyangara
Chatara
Wellington
Quote this back to yourself in a while or just wait for It to make it into one of Eugene's amusing Hhm retrospectives

hhm used to proclaim Mawoyo to be useless:
Picking Mawoyo to open is baseless and stupid...
- Source: http://www.zimcricketforums.com/viewtop ... oyo#p28127

hhm was also a fan of the 8-3 selection:
1Taylor, 2Duffin, 3Hamilton, 4Williams, 5Sibanda, 6Craig Ervine, 7Sean Ervine(Ewing), 8Taibu-wk(c), 9de Grandhomme(Jarvis), 10Ireland (Mpofu), 11Price
- Source: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2156&p=25276&hilit=hhm#p25267

hhm also doesn't rate Mutizwa:
Mutizwa might have some here fooled, but not me.
- Source: http://www.zimcricketforums.com/viewtop ... try#p32439

On a side note, hhm used to be a big Charles Coventry fan, rated him up there with Tendulkar, Saeed Anwar, and Yusuf Pathan. Even rated him ahead of Mawoyo and Mutizwa.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

zimfan1 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:22 pm
No they need to keep on playing the sweep shot. Just need to execute it better.
what percentage of deliveries does Kohli sweep when facing spinners? thats the whole point, its hard to execute the sweep due to the risk of top edges, under edges, lbw, or clean bowled.

Ervine, Taylor, and Williams sweep excessively. it is a very risky shot especially if there are sweeper fielders at deep midwicket or backward square leg becuae high risk shot for just a single.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

eugene wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:56 pm
Jemisi wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:59 pm
pariah wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:51 pm

Mawoyo
Craig
Hami
Taylor
Vusi(c)
Kasuza
Mutizwa(wk)
Shingi
Panyangara
Chatara
Wellington
Quote this back to yourself in a while or just wait for It to make it into one of Eugene's amusing Hhm retrospectives

hhm used to proclaim Mawoyo to be useless:
Picking Mawoyo to open is baseless and stupid...
- Source: http://www.zimcricketforums.com/viewtop ... oyo#p28127

hhm was also a fan of the 8-3 selection:
1Taylor, 2Duffin, 3Hamilton, 4Williams, 5Sibanda, 6Craig Ervine, 7Sean Ervine(Ewing), 8Taibu-wk(c), 9de Grandhomme(Jarvis), 10Ireland (Mpofu), 11Price
- Source: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2156&p=25276&hilit=hhm#p25267

hhm also doesn't rate Mutizwa:
Mutizwa might have some here fooled, but not me.
- Source: http://www.zimcricketforums.com/viewtop ... try#p32439

On a side note, hhm used to be a big Charles Coventry fan, rated him up there with Tendulkar, Saeed Anwar, and Yusuf Pathan. Even rated him ahead of Mawoyo and Mutizwa.
In case anyone was fooled that hhm is just here to stir trouble, the Pariahhunter is on the case.
Firstwave hhm was a different personality, and I'm sure if that account wasn't banned they would go missing.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*