Series Thread: U19 World Cup

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Series Thread: U19 World Cup

Post by eugene »

What are the details of quotas at Under-19 level? Is it a white/black quota?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

tlse

Post by tlse »

the batting is very disappointing but I agree the bowling is good and some players like Masvaure, jarvis and landman are good bowlers. for the quota system in every under 19 world cup there was 8 withes and 7 blacks or 8 blacks and 7 whites. For the first time this year there is only 4 whites. st johns college cricket team is 100% white, st georges is 90% white, falcon college is 80% white, Peterhouse is 100% white. Churchill 100% black an prince edward is 80% black. The selection is always from these colleges .

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Sounds like the usual discimination against white players. Why doesnt ZC just come out and say that they dont want any white cricketers in the national teams. At least then they would be acting honestly for a change.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

tlse

Post by tlse »

You can see some results of st johns college in south africa. they plays against some good south africans colleges and they won their matches

http://www.superschools.co.za/ScoreCard ... OLSCRICKET

http://www.superschools.co.za/ScoreCard ... OLSCRICKET

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Gaisford has been a major letdown IMO, I was expecting him to really shine. Solomon Mire as well. Kyle Jarvis seems to be a decent quick bowler, I hope he plays in the Logan Cup. Daniel Landman has been good at times, as has Prince Masvaure.

At least there is some hope for the future (albeit nothing great it seems for the time being :( )

zulu

Post by zulu »

zim bowled out for 59 and get thrashed by Nepal this zim u19 teams batting lineup really is a joke :?

Utseyalitharan

Post by Utseyalitharan »

we lost again!!! so what does this mean, are we out?

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

Not quite yet, Zim play Malaysia in the Plate play off semi final 1 on tuesday so there is always the chance that the team won't finish in 16th place :roll:

zimdan

Post by zimdan »

eugene wrote:Sounds like the usual discimination against white players. Why doesnt ZC just come out and say that they dont want any white cricketers in the national teams. At least then they would be acting honestly for a change.
Well this is a sticking point, because im white in Zimbabwe, and in the norm i am treated no different to any black person, however the same cannot be said for sporting teams. Here in Bulawayo, whites play cricket together, and blacks play cricket together, but rarely do you see a mixed game of random cricket. In harare a mixed game is much more common, but on the most part the whites are better at the game. No disrespect to the black players because some of them are really good, but overall there are more talented white players than black.

What it comes down to though are two points, does Zimbabwe want a quota system, or field the best possible sporting team? We are lucky to have two world class athletes still willing to hold the zimbabwean flag with pride, both Kirsty Coventry and Cara black are symbols of zimbabwean loyalty. In time the black sports persons of Zimbabwe will be on par with the whites, providing they are given the same backing(the main reason why they arent as good on average).

We should understand the reasoning for a quota system, to give the black population an equal opportunity, i fully agree with this, but when they havnt had the proper backing to fulfil their full potential then why force them into something they arent ready for. Lets take the land reform for example. Our economy was flouishing under white owned farms, i was able to go to town everyday and buy fresh grocery, but reforming the land to persons who didnt have a farming backing just put the cycle into reverse. The same can be said for cricket before i go too off topic. Rhodesia was a cricket nation through and through, brought upon by the colonies, the popuation played the game, and even the native africans also. We saw the once top ranked test batsman of Andy Flower proudly raise his bat for Zimbabwe on a number of occasions, and we saw the best black cricketers coming through the ranks to genuinly earn their place. Both Mbangwa and Olonga were both top bowlers, showing that it wasnt only the white players who could become world beaters. This infact set the trend for the black population that they too could play cricket at the highest level. Im sure this notion brang alot of black cricketers started to rise up the ladder and become national players themselves.

Moving onto the thread topic and what i quoted at the start. These colleges are remarkably still segrigated by colour, when really they shouldnt be. Everyone should be equal, and players should be chosen on merit, not colour. This u19 squad in Malaysia, from what i have seen and heard is a farce....the reason? The politics behind Zimbabwe cricket. Id put my monthly wage on that team out there being no where near the strongest u19 team we have, yet we are faced with even more humiliation, this time on a cricket pitch, rather than in a house of parliment.

This is my personal insight to my thoughts and knowledge of Zimbabwe today. It is not meant to be an insult to anyone either.

tlse

Post by tlse »

I agree 100% with zimdan this u19 team is a farce the team must be chosen on merit and the best players must be in the team white or black; This is an humiliation for zimbabwe to lost against nepal and malaysia. I am french and if you see the french football team 8 players are black only because they are the best players . black peoples in france is may be 3 or 4% of the population. the best players must be in the team or more and more players will leave Zimbabwe. Where are gary balance, glen querl, ryan higgins , barney rogers, travis friend, roland benade choose rugby,and also some black players like panyangara. In south africa you have nicolson, neeten chouhan, with kwazulu natal inland you can find chihota from midlands and gary penford from manicaland. Like rugby all the best players will goes very soon because thre is no future for them in this team. I am very disappointing als not to see Graeme Cremer in the zimbabwe team He is the best wicket takers since 2 or 3 years in zimbabwe; SEE the statistics he must be in this team.