Series Thread: U19 World Cup

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zulu

Re: Series Thread: U19 World Cup

Post by zulu »

yes i agree but i feel that many white players will leave thats the general pattern... I am South African living in the UK and in SA the same thing is happining whites dont get equal opportunities anymore in cricket and rugby theres a qouta system and even if your trying to get a job in SA or Zim if you are pale and male uve got very little chance.

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

Still a long way to go in the match, but Zim have at last managed a decent innings.

Put in to bat in a game reduced to 34 overs, Zim managed 186-6 @ 5.47 an over. Daniel Landman top scored with 45* from 22 balls, Peter Moor 37, Solomon Mire 36 and Tinashe Chimbambo 28.

Latest score is Malaysia 84-4 after 18 overs still requiring 103 from 96 balls, Kyle Jarvis has 2-28, Edzai Jaure 1-13 and Prince Masvaure 1-17.

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

At last, a WIN :!:

Malaysia were dismissed for 142 giving Zim a 44 run win. Jaure finished with 3-39, Landman 2-7, Jarvis 2-28, Stewart Matsika 2-30 and Masvaure 1-17. Landman was named man of the match.

Zim will now play the winner of Ireland v Bermuda on saturday to decide 13th and 14th place.

Not much to crow about but better than 15th or 16th :roll:

baiju029

Post by baiju029 »

ya a win is always sweet.................But, Iam really impressed with the bowlers of zim............Jarvis,Jaure,masvaure,Landman and Matsika.........They had been extremeny consistent.............I hope to c all of them soon in the lime light...........In batting Solomon mire and Landman had been impressive occasionally..........NO more comments on batting :)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

A win is a nice change. It has been a dismal time recently for Zimbabwean cricket teams.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

andrewn9

Post by andrewn9 »

Agreed its great the Zim U19 have finally won a game albeit against Malaysia but to my mind the selection of the squad contained a couple of glaring mistakes. Correct me if I'm wrong but are not Kasteni, Maruma and Matthew Williams all eligible? I don't know whether ZC had earmarked these players (the 1st 2 at least) for possible games versus S.A. teams but surely they'd have been well served playing in the U19 World cup against their peers where they'd have had a chance to shine and for Zim to perform well at an age group level? I'm sure with these players the team would have done much better...

aydee

Post by aydee »

Is that it for Zim now, or have they got another game left??

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

aydee wrote:Is that it for Zim now, or have they got another game left??
One more left - against the winner of Ireland v Bermuda.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

maehara wrote:
aydee wrote:Is that it for Zim now, or have they got another game left??
One more left - against the winner of Ireland v Bermuda.
...and Ireland won that, so Zimbabwe play Ireland tomorrow for 13th/14th place.

aydee

Post by aydee »

As you would expect, it's pretty much only the private schools in Zim that play any serious cricket... Even the majority of black players in the national team got ZC scholarships to private schools to help their cricket... So which, if any, of the U19s (or national team players for that matter) didn't go through the privgate schools system?? I suppose the list would be fairly small...