Haven't ruled out an international comeback: Brendan Taylor

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Haven't ruled out an international comeback: Brendan Taylor

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Another great article. This time a BT interview: http://web.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/77 ... dan-taylor

What makes him a great bloke are a couple of these honest insights for me:
I guess it was very difficult at the start of my career because we lost a lot of very valuable players to the World Cup, so for the first few years it was all about teaching yourself to play in tough situations, something we probably would have done a few years later. If we had played with the likes of Andy Flower and Grant Flower for longer periods of time, it would've only made us better cricketers.
Despite all that, your commitment was questioned around 2007

I was around 21 then and I got into a bit of strife sometimes; it was a combination of being a bit ill-disciplined, but that was all a part of growing up and taking responsibility as a professional cricketer.

Robbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Haven't ruled out an international comeback: Brendan Tay

Post by Robbo »

Top player, top bloke!!

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

If it wasn't the nightmare which is steve mangongo he would still be playing for Zimbabwe probably- see previous interview on disastarous Bangladesh tour

SpitfiresKent

Post by SpitfiresKent »

Great interview.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

great interview. Mangongo definitely has poor man management skills and I definitely think Whatmore is a better choice but if we are fair we must also admit he was a bit unfortunate. Results have not improved dramatically. we have all accepted now that Bangladesh are a superior side, Mangongo was just the first victim of many. Another key point people tend to forget is that we all saw Madziva, Jongwe, PJ Moor and Tiripano debut under him. guys we now see as good players. he also did bring back Mark Vermeulen.

I'm not defending his treatment of the players and his lack of experience at the top level but after the last few months of cricket we have played I realized he was not completely bad. Most of these senior players were too comfortable and needed a shock in their system with a combination of dropping them and bringing in new blood. Mangongo just overdid it

etoreveyi

Post by etoreveyi »

TapsC wrote:great interview. Mangongo definitely has poor man management skills and I definitely think Whatmore is a better choice but if we are fair we must also admit he was a bit unfortunate. Results have not improved dramatically. we have all accepted now that Bangladesh are a superior side, Mangongo was just the first victim of many. Another key point people tend to forget is that we all saw Madziva, Jongwe, PJ Moor and Tiripano debut under him. guys we now see as good players. he also did bring back Mark Vermeulen.

I'm not defending his treatment of the players and his lack of experience at the top level but after the last few months of cricket we have played I realized he was not completely bad. Most of these senior players were too comfortable and needed a shock in their system with a combination of dropping them and bringing in new blood. Mangongo just overdid it
Fair analysis. Balanced comments.

aydee

Post by aydee »

etoreveyi wrote:
TapsC wrote:great interview. Mangongo definitely has poor man management skills and I definitely think Whatmore is a better choice but if we are fair we must also admit he was a bit unfortunate. Results have not improved dramatically. we have all accepted now that Bangladesh are a superior side, Mangongo was just the first victim of many. Another key point people tend to forget is that we all saw Madziva, Jongwe, PJ Moor and Tiripano debut under him. guys we now see as good players. he also did bring back Mark Vermeulen.

Fair analysis. Balanced comments.
Agreed. Blaming Mangongo alone for the results was ridiculous. No coach on the planet could magic Zim into world beaters...

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) »

Mangongo's team lost all matches against Afghanistan U19 in India wheres Zim A hasn't lost any of the game against Afg A at the same venue. Mangongo was a disaster for one and all.
Zim Rules
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Satendra Singh, Delhi, India
Twitter: @drsitu

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

One doesn't need to give both pros and cons for a comment to be balanced. If the truth is on one edge.
that said, I will give mango one compliment and one compliment only.

And that was he tried. He gave it a go. Like the world could have predicted, when talking about an authoritative type who has NEVER played, he simply isn't up to it, and can never be respected.
You can't coach players who were 5x better than you ever were and earn their respect,That simple
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*