Zimbabwe Pacers Thread

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Zimbabwe Pacers Thread

Post by Kriterion_BD »

With Chatara back, there should be some pace in the the pace attack. Here is a thread to monitor progress of all Zim seamers.

The first topic is pace itself. Anyone know the full list of Zim bowlers to register 90 mph (or 145 km)? I believe Jarvis was the last to do it? Anyone know what year that was? Any bowlers reach 150 kph?

I saw Chatara get right up near 90 mph last year but not cross it. He got to 89.8 or 89.9 both in the Bangladesh tour 2014 and at the World Cup a few months later. Will be interesting to see his pace at the WT20.

The Zim U-19 team had a kid with raw pace, forgot his name, may have been Ngarava. But he was tall, probably 6'4" and I saw him hit 139 which for a U-19 is very quick. Anyone else in the domestic scene who is quick?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Zimbabwe Pacers Thread

Post by tawac »

Chigumbura.... well once upon a time. Now he is neither a batsman or a bowler but can still make the team.

Im sure Chitara would have lost some pace due to the injury.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

ZIMFAN

Post by ZIMFAN »

Paging Sloandog. Come in sloandog...

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I've seen blignaut hit 148 at the WACA. Surprised me as he is normally 130 but he was having a fiery spell that day, repeated it a couple of times that 2004 tour.

I've seen Streak in the low 140s which he looked to do without much effort. Normally he was early 130s

Olonga was rumoured to be around there but I'm not sure I believe it. Ditto Gerald Aliseni.brightin Maryannes was rumoured to have pace too but I think that's another hyped fable. I personally think Gus Mackay could break 150 if he tried.

What was brandes?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

tawac wrote:Chigumbura.... well once upon a time. Now he is neither a batsman or a bowler but can still make the team.

Im sure Chitara would have lost some pace due to the injury.
Eltons always been wildly inconsistent with the bat. People just forget because he used to be able to bowl and when he is on song with the bat he looks world class (him and Chibhabha have to be two of the most dramatically inconsisten players I've seen my entire life) but what I do want to know is what happened to Eltons bowling? Used to be one of our best!
Yes when injury happens pace can drop, and I assume that's happened to him, but what happened to his accuracy?

Normally when a player loses pace he gains accuracy. Elton lost it with his pace and is now embarrassing with the amount of wides he delivers.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Way back in 2001, in an interview with Andy Flower, he rated Brighton Watambwa as the quickest Zimbabwe had around that time. Flower was still keeping at that time, and as anyone who has done the job will know, it's a good place to judge from.
Sadly he didn't play a great deal- read somewhere he went to USA, and now is in Belguim? Doesn't really help in an argument about what we have now mind...
Chatara has to be the quickest, though after his injury, it reamins to be seen how quick he is...

reverbinstinct

Post by reverbinstinct »

Brandon diplock maybe?..pity that he wasn't able to progress forward..i also remember will mashinge ticking close to the 140s..then only over here recently from all the descriptions thrown around i came to know about daniel jakiel..how much FC has he played b4 and How old is he?

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

McMillan Campbell was fast I wonder what happened to him.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Matigimu is the kid who hit 139kph. he only just turned 18 so I'm thinking he is still terrorizing kids in school boy cricket. what I want to know is whether there is a way to make guys faster and what age do fast bowlers peak? for example will madziva and jong we ever get to the 140 mark or is it too late for them. Is it a technique thing or is it a fitness thing? Matigimu had a short run up..I'm sure if he goes to a high performance center he can get to 145kph. how that west Indian kid was so quick already I don't know.

also who are the quickest guys in the current setup. I would say chatara then vitori but after that I dont know how quick the likes of tiripano nyauchi mumba etc are. madziva was bowling around 135. Solomon mire around 137

reverbinstinct

Post by reverbinstinct »

[quote="TapsC"]Matigimu is the kid who hit 139kph. /quote]
Oops thats right,my bad.It was by matigimu.