[Short Interview]: Chari wants second bite of test cherry

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Detective RDS

[Short Interview]: Chari wants second bite of test cherry

Post by Detective RDS »

A good short interview of Brian Chari. Want more pieces like this one in Zimbabwe media.

http://www.sundaymail.co.zw/chari-wants ... st-cherry/
Chari wants second bite of Test cherry
BRIGHTON ZHAWI JULY 17, 2016

BATSMAN Brian Chari not only let down himself down, but the nation as well, when he got his first bite at Test cricket. That was on his debut in the forgetful 0-3 series whitewash away to Bangladesh in 2014, posting scores of 25 and 4 in his first match, and made a pair (two ducks) in his second.

Not surprisingly, he retreated into his shell for some serious soul searching. The selectors were left with egg on their faces amid accusations that they had thrown the then 22-year-old into the deep end.

“My debut was one made in Hell, I really wanted to make a mark but things just did not go according to plan,” recalled Chari last week.

The disappointment in Bangladesh spurred Chari want to learn more about the sport he loves and lives on: he bought several autobiographies of the game’s icons and watched tonnes of documentaries.

The batsman has since earned himself the moniker “Student”, and in his bag right now are the biographies of Australian Ricky Ponting (“At the Close of Play) and Rahul Dravid (The Nice Guy Who Finished First).

Chari’s approach seems to be paying dividends and the 24-year-old made clear his intentions to improve his Test performances when he scored a patient 98 against South Africa A in the drawn first four-day match at Harare Sports Club last week.

That innings was the latest in a purple patch which stretches back to the games against Bangladesh A and Afghanistan A last year.

Two years after the Dhaka disaster, Chari’s name is being touted among those expected to don the whites in the two Tests against New Zealand from July 28 to August 10 at Queens Sports Club in Bulawayo.

Amid the excitement triggered by his fine form, Chari is trying his best to keep his feet on the ground while continuing to sweat it out in the nets.

“I am taking it one game at a time . . . if I make it into the Test team, it will be another important occasion that I will relish and work hard to do well at,” said the soft-spoken batsman.

“A combination of hard work and knowing more about my game and the game itself has helped me. The hunger to succeed has also forced me to be a student of the game hence, I now know as a batsman, a top order for that matter, how to construct my innings and look to bat, bat and bat.”

Zimbabwe batting coach Lance Klusener has challenged the batsmen to “come out of their comfort zones”. Chari believes he has already done so.

“I think I have managed to take my game a step up,” he said. “At first I was deemed a longer version player but now, through expressing myself more, I have managed to play ODIs and didn’t do too badly in the last T20 tournament.”

The former Milton High student has a long cherished wish, one that could come true when New Zealand visit.

“It is my dream to play at home (Queens Sports Club) for my country. Hopefully I will realise it soon,” said Chari.