Future tour rumours

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Future tour rumours

Post by secretzimbo »

^ Pretty much all at home as well aren't they? Not very interesting.

Most of the Tests probably won't happen either, especially against Ireland and Afghanistan.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:06 am
^ Pretty much all at home as well aren't they? Not very interesting.

Most of the Tests probably won't happen either, especially against Ireland and Afghanistan.
Yes SZ, except for one Afghanistan series, the 2nd one, which is away, others are all home.

I'm wondering where will they play the 'away' series against Afghanistan? Probably in Sharjah is my guess.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

At least we have three counties touring in February/March. Should be a lot of opportunity for a lot of our domestic guys to have a proper test.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I am reading rumours that Afghans are backing out again. No surprise for me, but does anyone have more details?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Yeah it’s been discussed and lost in other threads but the series is unlikely to take place. Possibly could be delayed to next year or something but it looks very u likely that they’ll be coming as planned from what I’ve heard

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Can we not invite the Dutch or the Scots or the Irish?

Maybe a Quad series or something?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:34 am

Who’s paying for it?

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:28 am
Yeah it’s been discussed and lost in other threads but the series is unlikely to take place. Possibly could be delayed to next year or something but it looks very u likely that they’ll be coming as planned from what I’ve heard
Afghans came last time because those were WSL games, they themselves are getting some fixtures only because of WSL, otherwise they will have a worse fixtures list than Zimbabwe.

I don't expect anything from this team, they are shameless.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:41 am
jaybro wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:34 am

Who’s paying for it?
Let’s say we had a quad series and three teams visited. A conservative 20 people per team (players and coaches) - 60 people. You’d need 40 hotel rooms for them. Based on current prices at the Harare holiday inn that’s costing $75k just on hotel rooms for say 10 days.
Then you consider the food for 60 men , the transport and security locally and then intercontinental flights for that many people. And insurance and all the extra stuff we don’t think of.
Just for those three teams the costs are high.

That’s not including the costs of adding Zim in there too.

As we are a full member, our games have to follow higher standards than associate games, which is ridiculous. A full status T20I or ODI between two associates is cheaper than one between a full member and an associate. It’s crazy.

If there is a full member involved then the ICC stipulates double the number of ICC ACU officials are flown in, and they charge a small fortune. There’s also a higher security and insurance requirements. And we haven’t even thought about umpires or match Referees yet.

Then there’s a broadcast. Men’s International cricket involving a full member must be broadcast in some form. I’m not sure if just a stream is okay or not these days. Again associates can just stream their matches but the ICC now stipulates full member games are broadcast quality. There’s few or no broadcasters interested in paying the rather huge costs to broadcast a quad series between 4 minnows (and the costs of doing so somewhere like Zim) when the viewing figures in most countries will be so low.

Remember Scotland and the Netherlands have significantly less funding than Zim even.

It’s not easy.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I understand it’s not easy and these types of series cost money, but when you have 4 cricket boards who are all essentially in the same boat (struggling for money & fixtures) surely they can get together and work something out.

The Afghanistan series doesn’t bring in much money so it’s not like we’re trying to replace India with a quad series.

Anyways it’s just me venting really
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement