Future tour rumours

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Donald

Re: Future tour rumours

Post by Donald »

109 in what time frame. 4 years 5 years?

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/icc- ... le-1325260

Zimbabwe
Zimbabwe should feel encouraged, as they have been allocated 20 Tests in a total of 109 international matches in the next four years. Like in the last four-year period, they play most of their cricket against Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Ireland, with South Africa and New Zealand playing a combined three Tests against them.

They have fixtures against Pakistan and Sri Lank but only for white-ball matches, while Zimbabwe have proposed a T20I tri-series in July 2025, though the opponents' names aren't public.

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:44 am
Zimbabwe have been allocated 109 international matches in the next FTP including 20 Test matches.

I believe that included 2 tests with SA and 2 with NZ with the rest all being with Afghanistan/Ireland/Bangladesh.

Limited overs matches with Pakistan, SL and WI but doesn’t sound like any fixtures at all with the big three.
I think one of the teams in that proposed T20 Tri-series for July 2025 will be India.

Otherwise why wouldn't India tour? They've toured for every FTP and Zim are traditionally very friendly to the BCCI, unless something has changed recently?

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Marshmallow wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:13 am
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/icc- ... le-1325260

Zimbabwe
Zimbabwe should feel encouraged, as they have been allocated 20 Tests in a total of 109 international matches in the next four years. Like in the last four-year period, they play most of their cricket against Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Ireland, with South Africa and New Zealand playing a combined three Tests against them.

They have fixtures against Pakistan and Sri Lank but only for white-ball matches, while Zimbabwe have proposed a T20I tri-series in July 2025, though the opponents' names aren't public.
Yes, it's probably not as bad as we had feared and if Zimbabwe can keep pushing and produce good results we could be in for some more high profile series'

109 international games over 4 years excluding the ICC events is not bad by any means. I hope we don't see any cancellations and that all these are honoured.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

20 Tests is 5 a year which is not bad at all, and far more than what Zimbabwe have played in the last 4 years. I doubt they've played even 10 in the last 4.

Do well against Ireland and Afghanistan and you can make a case for inclusion to the WTC, given how poorly Bangladesh has been doing. Granted I think BD are just a batting lineup away from being a decent Test side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

I'd be amazed if all 109 games and especially the 20 tests are honoured. We'd probably be doing well to play even 10 tests tbh.

Who's going to fund them? Zimbabwe Vs Ireland in a test match is just about the very worst financial proposition ever. You might as well go to Vic Falls and throw a few million dollars off the bridge.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

I think too much is being made of finances and the t20 take over.

There was a lot of doom n gloom about this FTP but if this draft is the real thing, then nothing had changed vs 6 years ago. Only the IPL has a window that kills global cricket. Every other country stops playing during their league but doesn't halt the intl calendar. It's not ideal but something we have come to accept.

As for the viability of Tests, assuming it coats 1.2 million USD to host a Test, I don't see why a team like Bangladesh wouldn't use money from the BPL, and ICC events to fund loss making Tests. I reckon the BCB and PCB can at least break even when they play the top 5 teams, so it's more of a factor of cutting loses vs other teams down using profits from elsewhere.

Teams like NZ, WI, and SL will struggle tho.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

Until I see evidence of a 5 day game of cricket costing $1m I'd rather believe in unicorns.

Donald

Post by Donald »

The finances minister Ncube visited the match Zimbabwe vs netherlands and was booed by large sections of the crowd. When he was at the presentations at end of match the booing and chants did not stop until he left the podium :o :o :D :D

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

:lol: Was a good moment