[Logan Cup 2017 Round 1] Rhinos v Rising Stars

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [Logan Cup 2017 Round 1] Rhinos v Rising Stars

Post by sloandog »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:35 am
Moor has pretty much sealed his fate there.

A very creditable performance on debut for the Rising Stars. Onwards and upwards then.

If Chakabva fails for the second time in the other match, Richie should get an opportunity for Zim A vs the WI in my book.
That's shit that is from Moor. All he needed to do was see the team home.
Frustrating because he's easily one of the most talented in the country. It's just a case of whether or not he's going to be able to transfer that into results.
For Zimbabwe in white ball cricket he's been pretty abysmal.
Hope he sorts things out because cricket is one hell of a fickle game. It only take a season of bad performances to be categorised as ok player. Needs to take a leave out of Ryan Burl's book

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

The rising stars clearly have a batting issue. Their bowling is ok. In the end I think Burl and Mashinge did ok. These kind of games where your backs are against the wall and you are up against far superior opposition show who really has the guts to make it . It's not always about talent.

As for the Rhinos if they fail to pickup silverware this season then they should be disappointed. They have a really strong squad. I'm even beggining to think with Taylor and Jarvis playing for them as well they could challenge some top county sides like some people suggested before. I wish Cricket had a champions league kind of competition where you take the best domestic sides from all the full members and have a 50 over tournament
Last edited by TapsC on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

TapsC wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:06 pm
This kind of games where your backs are against the wall and you are up against far superior opposition show who really has the guts to make it . It's not always about talent.
This. A lot of guys in our set up should plaster this against their mirrors in the morning

Conant
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Conant »

Taylor basically walking back in and showing everyone he's a class above, once again. I see in the other game, Williams finally makes a big score. That attack from Mashonald is pretty worrying, though with Willy, Richmond and Raza all feasting quite easily.

So everything looks settled already: Craig at 3, BT 4, Willy 5, Raza 6 with Masakadza and somebody else to open. But if Craig is as solid as we say, why has never opened, leaving Hammy to play at his preferred number three position? He has the stats to back that assertion.

Anyway this means Richmond will bat at what..., 7? That might mean Malcolm Waller misses out? He can't bat at 8 anymore surely, with Kyle Javis and Chatara back to lead the attack with Cremer and (Mpofu?) as a third seamer?

The Malcolm will play even if he turns Bradmansque overnight is if if Brendan keeps. Which would be very controversial and raise a stink. Anyway its gonna be a decent team nevertheless. The only players who will be under prepared in my view are the bowlers, who all had easy games.

Its quite easy to pick this side to be honest. How they fare against the West Indies is another issue altogether.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Conant wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:35 pm

So everything looks settled already: Craig at 3, BT 4, Willy 5, Raza 6 with Masakadza and somebody else to open. But if Craig is as solid as we say, why has never opened, leaving Hammy to play at his preferred number three position? He has the stats to back that assertion.
If you want a stable team that performs consistently at the level of its potential, your best batsman must bat at 3 and 4. The only exception to this rule is if you don't have any 2 batters who are clearly better than the rest. In that case, the team is either the greatest team to every play or so bad the order of the batting is irrelevant.

Ervine and Taylor are without any shred of doubt the two best batsman in the team. They have been consistent enough to get that tag. On current/recent form, I would say Raza is 3rd. There is no clear 4th, although Williams leads that pack due to his potential for a swashbuckling effort. After your best two batsman, it doesn't matter where your next guys bat ie they ought to bat in their preferred, natural position or wherever they fit best in the team's plan. The third best batsman could be an opener, he could be batting at 5 or even at 6. But preferably your best 5 batters need to bat in the top 5.

Masakadza opening or batting at 3 or batting at 7 won't make any difference. He will average 20-25 and thats not enough to really make an impact at Test level.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

TapsC wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:06 pm
The rising stars clearly have a batting issue. Their bowling is ok. In the end I think Burl and Mashinge did ok. These kind of games where your backs are against the wall and you are up against far superior opposition show who really has the guts to make it . It's not always about talent.

As for the Rhinos if they fail to pickup silverware this season then they should be disappointed. They have a really strong squad. I'm even beggining to think with Taylor and Jarvis playing for them as well they could challenge some top county sides like some people suggested before. I wish Cricket had a champions league kind of competition where you take the best domestic sides from all the full members and have a 50 over tournament
Are you saying Rhinos will beat a County side?
Ask Jarvis and Taylor what they think about that statement.

reverbinstinct

Post by reverbinstinct »

To me the return of BT,might address our batting deficiencies in multiple ways,in the sense that it may restore a cushion of security/confidence in both Hami and Willo. (maybe analogous to the talk of AB's return would help Hashim amla to knock his rust off,a few months ago).I am pretty sure they were in much better nick when he was around than in the periods of his absence.And both seemed to kind of regress in turns after his exit too.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I would think that if a team with Mire,PJ,Taylor,Jarvis,Panyangara,Waller Chisoro and Cremer can't beat the worst county team then we really are wasting our time playing cricket at all. That is literally the majority of our national team. Half the national squad. The Aussie domestic teams maybe because there are only 6 but surely you can't tell me all 18 county teams are equally strong. That's just my opinion.

aydee

Post by aydee »

TapsC wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:32 pm
I would think that if a team with Mire,PJ,Taylor,Jarvis,Panyangara,Waller Chisoro and Cremer can't beat the worst county team then we really are wasting our time playing cricket at all. That is literally the majority of our national team. Half the national squad. The Aussie domestic teams maybe because there are only 6 but surely you can't tell me all 18 county teams are equally strong. That's just my opinion.
Remember that Taylor, clearly Zim's most accomplished batsman, couldn't even get into the Notts 4 day team most of the time...

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

Conant wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:35 pm
That attack from Mashonald is pretty worrying, though with Willy, Richmond and Raza all feasting quite easily.
Like the debt that still hasn't been paid, no one will qustion why Eagles are so shallow. My take is some guys rejected the contracts. Maybe a story is brewing. Probably why the Goats didn't play in opening round. Lots of noncentrally contracted top players who won't settle for peanuts
if Craig is as solid as we say, why has never opened, leaving Hammy to play at his preferred number three position? He has the stats to back that assertion.
:lol: Who still ask that in Zimbabwe? When even Taylor won't open against rookies after being forced to do so in county cricket :lol: