[Logan Cup 2017 Round 1] Rhinos v Rising Stars

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Mueddie28

Re: [Logan Cup 2017 Round 1] Rhinos v Rising Stars

Post by Mueddie28 »

Conant wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:35 pm
Taylor basically walking back in and showing everyone he's a class above, once again. I see in the other game, Williams finally makes a big score. That attack from Mashonald is pretty worrying, though with Willy, Richmond and Raza all feasting quite easily.

So everything looks settled already: Craig at 3, BT 4, Willy 5, Raza 6 with Masakadza and somebody else to open. But if Craig is as solid as we say, why has never opened, leaving Hammy to play at his preferred number three position? He has the stats to back that assertion.

Anyway this means Richmond will bat at what..., 7? That might mean Malcolm Waller misses out? He can't bat at 8 anymore surely, with Kyle Javis and Chatara back to lead the attack with Cremer and (Mpofu?) as a third seamer?

The Malcolm will play even if he turns Bradmansque overnight is if if Brendan keeps. Which would be very controversial and raise a stink. Anyway its gonna be a decent team nevertheless. The only players who will be under prepared in my view are the bowlers, who all had easy games.

Its quite easy to pick this side to be honest. How they fare against the West Indies is another issue altogether.
The lineup
Hami
Raza / Mire (if StreAk chooses Mire to open )
Craig
Taylor
SEAN Williams
Raza ( if Mire open]s) / Burl or Musakanda
M Waller/ Mutumbani ( wicketkeeper position)
Creamer
Jarvis
Chatara
C Mpofu / Ngarava

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

aydee wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:59 pm
Remember that Taylor, clearly Zim's most accomplished batsman, couldn't even get into the Notts 4 day team most of the time...
He was opening there remember. Again Taylor hsa a poor battign record away from ZIM. So I think he's a poor measure.

Can Logan Cup franchises beat County sides at home?

Personally, I think all of Eagles, Goats, Tuskers and Rhinos can thump a lot of County sides if they hosted them in ZImbabwe - provided of course that they are full strenght and this nonsense of a Bruce ahead of Panyangara, or a Mboyi ahead of a Vitori is not done, plus th elikes of non-bowlers like Nathan, Raza, Prince, Mire, Mutombodzi and Sean are not bowling.

NB: Zimbabwe must look to bring back Simon Mugava since they are so keen on splashing money to bring back talent. That boy had talent. What;s happenign with him? Of course people will be quick to say he's stats weren;t that menacing. But in truth he played at a time when the Logan Cup had top batsmen, longer seasons etc. He struggled as much as Cremer. Not today when Cremer can get a fifer blindfolded.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Mugava is hopeless
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

pariah wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:07 am
aydee wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:59 pm
Remember that Taylor, clearly Zim's most accomplished batsman, couldn't even get into the Notts 4 day team most of the time...
He was opening there remember. Again Taylor hsa a poor battign record away from ZIM. So I think he's a poor measure.

Can Logan Cup franchises beat County sides at home?

Personally, I think all of Eagles, Goats, Tuskers and Rhinos can thump a lot of County sides if they hosted them in ZImbabwe - provided of course that they are full strenght and this nonsense of a Bruce ahead of Panyangara, or a Mboyi ahead of a Vitori is not done, plus th elikes of non-bowlers like Nathan, Raza, Prince, Mire, Mutombodzi and Sean are not bowling.

NB: Zimbabwe must look to bring back Simon Mugava since they are so keen on splashing money to bring back talent. That boy had talent. What;s happenign with him? Of course people will be quick to say he's stats weren;t that menacing. But in truth he played at a time when the Logan Cup had top batsmen, longer seasons etc. He struggled as much as Cremer. Not today when Cremer can get a fifer blindfolded.
Ask Jarvis and Taylor what they think of a franchise side beating a county side in Zim. Cricket being what it is, there might be a one off upset, but if they played a series, there’s no danger of that.

aydee

Post by aydee »

jaybro wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:15 am
Mugava is hopeless
He definitely wasn't!

Don't think he has played any cricket for several years now. Very into religion instead, it would appear.

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

aydee wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:42 pm
jaybro wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:15 am
Mugava is hopeless
He definitely wasn't!

Don't think he has played any cricket for several years now. Very into religion instead, it would appear.

Taibu is a religious man. Are you implying his religion hinders his progress in the game?
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

http://m.bbc.com/sport/cricket/20747534

I hope the link copied correctly. That's the squad of the worst team in division 2 of the county championship this year. Leicestershire .. you can't possibly tell me that this team would easily beat a full strength Rhinos team. I don't even know who 90% of those guys are.. yes of course we wouldn't have a division 1 winning team but you can't tell me that this team would be favourites against any one of our teams over a 5 match series. Taylor played for one of the top teams. I don't think he would have failed to play a game in this Leicestershire team. How many of those guys have played more than 20 international games?

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

TapsC wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:53 pm

I hope the link copied correctly. That's the squad of the worst team in division 2 of the county championship this year. Leicestershire .. you can't possibly tell me that this team would easily beat a full strength Rhinos team. I don't even know who 90% of those guys are.. yes of course we wouldn't have a division 1 winning team but you can't tell me that this team would be favourites against any one of our teams over a 5 match series. Taylor played for one of the top teams. I don't think he would have failed to play a game in this Leicestershire team. How many of those guys have played more than 20 international games?
They have an ageing squad, so they might be there for the taking. But if I look at the names only, Horton, Pettini, Ackerman, Cosgrove, and Carberry would have easily walked into Zims Test side any time in the last few years, which gives them, on paper, more depth in batting. But only one of those guys is under 33, I think, and Carberrys story is well-known, so that's probably even par. McKay is also getting on a bit, but with him and my man Dieter Klein, who must be a good bowler, otherwise he doesn't deserve to share a passport with me ;) , they also have a decent seam attack. Would be an interesting series, for sure. I reckon Cremer could make the difference if the series is played in Zim. Late April in Leicester might be a different story.

aydee

Post by aydee »

foreignfield wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm
TapsC wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:53 pm

They have an ageing squad, so they might be there for the taking. But if I look at the names only, Horton, Pettini, Ackerman, Cosgrove, and Carberry would have easily walked into Zims Test side any time in the last few years, which gives them, on paper, more depth in batting. But only one of those guys is under 33, I think, and Carberrys story is well-known, so that's probably even par. McKay is also getting on a bit, but with him and my man Dieter Klein, who must be a good bowler, otherwise he doesn't deserve to share a passport with me ;) , they also have a decent seam attack. Would be an interesting series, for sure. I reckon Cremer could make the difference if the series is played in Zim. Late April in Leicester might be a different story.
Horton and Pettini have played Logan Cup and did well. Cosgrove is an Aussie international. Ackermann was one of the leading scorers in SA 1st class cricket last year. I think that team is stronger than any Logan Cup side.

totoro
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by totoro »

Bruce looks big in this picture. I haven't seen a picture of him before.