MATCH THREAD! West Indies vs Zimbabwe 2nd test @ Queens Bulawayo

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Conant
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: MATCH THREAD! West Indies vs Zimbabwe 2nd test @ Queens Bulawayo

Post by Conant »

TapsC wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:48 pm
PJ is probably the only player in the world who is suited for test cricket and t20s but not Odis because he can't rotate the strike
Great pearl of wisdom.

Wonderful innings from Hammy, hopefully we can get a break from Kriterion for some time yet.

That innings is why Hammy should never have been dropped in any of those three times ahead of a crucial tournament, especially in the limited overs stuff.

I recall the SA selectors a year and a half ago mulling about dropping Amla for the T20s tournament (was it England or India) because they wanted to accommodate AB as opener; the nerve and ridiculousness of it all. :oops: That's what we have done to Hammy over the years; they mistake reasonability for dispensibilty.

To think Amla, after what they have been watching him do in ODIs since 2009 couldn't play T20s! Still makes my blood boil to this day.

Also very happy with PJ Moor this is the kind of innings we need, obduracy rather than Raza's happy go lucky kind of stuff. Moor has to compete with other batsmen on an equal footing and somebody else has to challenge Chakabva, perhaps Mutumbami. Crucially and even better, Chakabva has to perform with both bat and gloves and justify his place.

I won't complain if its the end of play for today, its will be one day salvaged after the disaster of the morning.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Hami has under-performed, he should have more runs than he does. He has admitted the pressure of batting with so much riding on him.

But never in the last 15 years have we had six better batsmen than him to pick from. The WC exclusions were a farce.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Looking like Stumps.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Good point Conant - there's a bit of friendly competition for Chakabva after that knock from Moor.
Maybe we can accomodate them both, but if Chakabva fails with the bat again in this Test I think we'll see Moor with the gloves again (for better or worse).

Doesn't worry me that today is rained out. We haven't drawn a single Test since we returned in 2011. I don't think it'd be a bad result at all if day 2 was partially rained out as well - 8/300 at stumps on day 2 would be nice. It would force WI to bat aggressively on day 3 if they wanted a result, and that would create chances for our bowler.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Might work in Hami's favour this rain. He can rest and won't have to face a new ball early in the morning as we still only about 60 overs in.

In the end it was a successful rescue mission for me. We could have been bundled out for less than 100 with those conditions at the beginning.. If we can bat for 3 more sessions it will be a tough game to lose.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

TapsC wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:53 pm
Might work in Hami's favour this rain. He can rest and won't have to face a new ball early in the morning as we still only about 60 overs in.

In the end it was a successful rescue mission for me. We could have been bundled out for less than 100 with those conditions at the beginning.. If we can bat for 3 more sessions it will be a tough game to lose.
Totally agree. When Taylor got out I thought it was game over. But Moor showed tremendous grit to bat alongside HM for however many hours it was.

I look forward to seeing how many Masakadza adds tomorrow, he has looked in great touch.

Conant

Post by Conant »

If Hami adds 10 runs tomorrow before he is dismissed, he's gonna get 180. My reverse jinx.

pariah

Post by pariah »

We're looking at this from the wrong angle again. Rain worked against ZIM.

Zimbabwe won the toss, and after day one they've lost 4 wickets for very very few runs on the board - in conditions both captains agreed were good for batting.

More importantly, the West Indies bowlers are still very very very fresh.

ZIM won't keep the WI attack occupied for much longer tomorrow, but WI batsmen will keep ZIM occupied after that.

As things stand, ZIM will already be thinking and discussing more about defensive bowling and defensive field placings to slow the WI run scoring and eat up more time in the game.

The good thing about a completed innings is that it does give you an indication about the pitch. Right now ZIM don't have a clue. All it'll be telling them is that they went in with far too few seamers and they'll be dreading the number of overs Mire and Hami have to bowl, while regretting Malcolm's presence ahead of Chamu.

Hopefully Chase and Bishoo pick up some genuine spinner's wickets tomorrow in order to put Streak and co at ease.

Streak and Taibu were quoted saying plenty ahead of the game. So far it's pretty clear their minds processed little of whatever the pitch told them ahead of their meeting. Throw in the fact that they are both locals(more so Heath) and knew rain would be a factor and alter the conditions less in favour of spin, then you wonder even more just how much thought if any went into the team selection.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Conant wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:12 pm

Wonderful innings from Hammy, hopefully we can get a break from Kriterion for some time yet.
Yes he's done well with the lucky break in the teens. I went off to bed with the score at 35-3. But this marks the first century by Masakadza against a decent bowling attack in his entire career. He really does need to carry on if ZIM are to set this game up.

I reckon this is not as flat a wicket as people are making it out to be, but that might just be due to the cold and cloudy conditions on day 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

eugene

Post by eugene »

Missed all of the action today but kudos to Hammy and Moor. Is Hammy now a test opener? With Jarvis out of the attack it leaves Cremer as a one-man bowling attack essentially.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes