Zimbabweans in English County Cricket

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Zimbabweans in English County Cricket

Post by zimfan1 »

As this year we have six players involved in the county season i though it would be a good idea to start a thread so that we can track the progress of the players particularly as the likes of Antony Ireland and Sean Ervine seem close to a possible return when there contracts expire at the end of the season.

players to follow are

Elton Chigumbura - Northamptonshire
Grant Flower - Essex
Murray Goodwin - Sussex
Gary Ballance - Yorkshire
James Cameron - Worcestershire
Sean Ervine - Hampshire
Anthony Ireland - Gloucestershire

shumbat

Re: Zimbabweans in English County Cricket

Post by shumbat »

All good man,its quite a representation. If at the end of the season all these guys could come back to Franchise Cricket and ZC, there will be competition and experience in our team, and we might be ready to play Test Cricket again next year. Always watch county cricket and will keep tabs on these guys.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Good idea,

one question i have,
Why cant Ervine and the Irishman play for Zim whie they play county?

players over the world play county and for their country at the same time.....why are they different?

What am i missing?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Mike

Post by Mike »

TBH no point on watching Goodwin and Flower, they'll never be back in Zimbabwe colours :oops: :(

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

[quote="Mike"]TBH no point on watching Goodwin and Flower, they'll never be back in Zimbabwe colours :oops: :([/quote

Hmmmm,well i think it's fair to say that Grant Flower won't be seen in red again, but there's a small question mark over the head of Murray Goodwin. I reckon he's still got a lot to offer internationally

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Cameron determined to capture his chance

HAVING left Zimbabwe in search of a better life, new Worcestershire all-rounder James Cameron is hoping he has found that at New Road.

The former under 19 international left his troubled homeland to study and play cricket in Western Australia.

Now after several years in Perth, Cameron is hoping his dreams of being a professional cricketer are as good as he imagined.

The 24-year-old has signed a two-year deal with the New Road club and his opening aim is to try and break into the first team.

Having played grade cricket for University in Perth, Cameron has been on the fringes of the Western Aus-tralia second team.

A batting all-rounder, a poor man’s Jacques Kallis is how the commerce graduate describes himself, is looking to throw the kitchen sink at his opportunity which he has waiting for since growing up in Harare.

“This is huge, massive for me,” he said. “I always wanted to do this.

“When I left Zimbabwe there was a decision that had to be made whether I was going to study or try and become a professional cricketer.

“I took the decision to go and study and in the meantime I’d try and play cricket at the highest level that I could.

“Once I finished my degree I would go from there to see if I could play professionally.

“It has worked out perfectly.

“I had to make a decision as to where I was going in life and then Worcestershire came up and gave me this chance.

“Hopefully I’ll get my op-portunity and then I’m going to throw the kitchen sink at it.”

Although he wants to bat as high as he can in the order, Cameron is well aware that you dont always get what you want. I’m a batting all-rounder, batting is my priority, I would like to think I can contribute with the ball as well, especially in one-day cricket,” said Cameron, who holds a British passport.

“If I can be an option at any stage with the ball, that’ll be good, but batting is my focal point.

“Maybe I’m like Jacques Kallis to a lesser degree.

“I like to open the batting in one-day cricket but I know I need to be as versatile as I can.

“Whatever role Worcester-shire want me to play I will be happy to do so.”

Despite having gone to the Under-19 World Cup with Zimbabwe, Cameron is not thinking of making a return to his homeland and play for his country.

“Never say never,” he said. “When I was at school I was in the mix.

“But with the political situation that is going on and the instability I decided to go to Australia and cut my teeth there.

“At the moment there is no intention of going back and playing for the Zimbabwe national side, my focus is Worcestershire and get my-self into the first team and establish a career here.”

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/sport/80 ... is_chance/

Flower power
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Flower power »

When conditions remain good in Zim or improve for the better all these players will be on their way back to Zim .

morgieb

Post by morgieb »

Some guy called Glen Querl is apparently playing for the "ECB Unicorns" in the 40 over competition.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

A very average player is Glen Querl

PSR

Post by PSR »

James Cameron made his debut for worcesteshire :)