[MATCH THREAD] Zim v Afg WCQ Group B 7th Match

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: [MATCH THREAD] Zim v Afg WCQ Group B 7th Match

Post by foreignfield »

sloandog wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:24 am
foreignfield wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:52 am
And can we please stop moaning about the mentality of our players now? Honestly, yes, they lose more than they win because they play against better opposition most of the time. But looking back over the last two years or so I feel we win more tight matches than we lose.
Really..?
jaybro wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:26 am
He’s right u know we’ve won some very tight matches with most of our losses being big ones
That's my feeling anyway, so I put it out there for others to agree or disagree. Now that we no longer have a forumite who will come up with the stats to show that Vusi averages more in tight wins on the subcontinent, but outside BD, than Taylor, or that Jarvis has conceided more runs in the death overs of tight losses against top eight sides in the months of February and March than Panyangara in October 2013 :roll:

SpitfiresKent
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by SpitfiresKent »

sloandog wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:34 pm
firebreaker wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:30 pm
Will Zimbabwe get decent crowd in UK given that there are many Zimbos?
They'll have a massive following here if they do make the World cup! I'll be going to as many games as I possibly can. Perfect excuse to wear one of my Zimbabwe tops, and facepaint!
If we do qualify then I would love to go to at least one ZIM match. Have the venues been confirmed for the world cup?

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

SpitfiresKent wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:14 pm
sloandog wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:34 pm
firebreaker wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:30 pm
Will Zimbabwe get decent crowd in UK given that there are many Zimbos?
They'll have a massive following here if they do make the World cup! I'll be going to as many games as I possibly can. Perfect excuse to wear one of my Zimbabwe tops, and facepaint!
If we do qualify then I would love to go to at least one ZIM match. Have the venues been confirmed for the world cup?
Not sure mate, but if we do manage to make it, I think some of us here based on ZCF should meet up! Try and get tickets in a bunch :D

Need to get there though first hey.. ;)

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I still think we have problems with mentality here. Most of the players do. The key guys in this victory I would say were Raza Taylor and Blessing

Raza without a doubt has a winner's mentality. Taylor has the talent which gives him more confidence than the rest. Blessing is still very new and that losers mentality will not have reached him just yet. For me Waller is a good example of the lack of mental stregnth we find with a lot of zim guys. We just knew in that pressure situation he was going to fail. It was inevitable. Hami also has a similar problem. Sometimes you just need to back yourselves.

You know a team with a strong mentality will run most games close or at least bat as long as possible. Had it been the other way round. I'm 100% sure Larry and Vitori would have tried to slog their way to those 20 runs. The Afghan last pair did really well to run it that close.

The boxing day test was another perfect example of no mental strength in our camp. Or that devastating morning against the West Indies when their fast bowlers were steaming in. That ability to conquer your fear just doesn't exist with the majority of our guys.

Williams is one person who sometimes displays it. I don't know what was going on with him last year but his century against New Zealand in that test where he was sick was a true display of grit and determination.

Maybe the best way to put it is that our batsmen don't have it but the bowlers have pulled it off a few times. Madziva with bat and ball and I think it was Tiripano for that tie against the West Indies. And 2 really close games against Afghanistan.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Getting a string of low scores like Malcolm Waller has endured I’m not sure you can put down to lack of mental strength. Im certain he walks in with grim determination every time.
Look at Rohit Sharma at the moment, he’s having a nightmare.
Obviously the worst scenario is walking in trying to stem the collapse that’s just happened in front of you. You’re dealing with your own problems and it’s magnified tenfold by your team’s predicament and then your country’s! Fuck me, that would make most people wilt.
When you’re having a shit run, you also don’t get the rub of the green. Thousands of batters have tried to figure out the magic formula that helps you turn the corner, quite often it’s a bit of luck.

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

I get all this stuff about waller being a nice guy and stuff....great. however there has been no reddeming features for a long time now. He scored a fighting 90 against scotland last year and a few cameos vs sri lanka. He is long on borrowed time. If this was chigumbura getting these scores there would be anarchy on these forums. Lets have some balance please

Googly

Post by Googly »

Nowhere was I arguing Malcolm over Elty.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I was just thinking today the type of player we miss is that ‘you’ll have to kill me and walk over my dead bloody body to take my wicket’ type of guy.

Someone who could possibly open or be a floating batsman just someone who we can rely on to not get out

A Guy Whittall type of player
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

List of batsmen who should be very upset that Waller is there in front of them

Burl
Tari
Mutombodzi
Prince
Chamu

I’ve left out Vusi & Elton because they haven’t been really playing for various reasons, also Maruma because he’s like Regis proven time after time he’s not good enough for ODI cricket

Waller has had probably the longest run for little reward out of anyone, a lot of us have been guilty of justifying his selection because of his ‘potential’ to score quickly and useful bowling. The truth is though he hasn’t produced anything for a while with the bat and his bowling is not used often, Vusi & Elton we’re dropped for better performances.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

At the end of the day the way to get the attention of the selectors is to make big runs in franchise. Malcolm generally does better than them so how upset can they really get?