Cephas the great

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC

Re: Cephas the great

Post by TapsC »

Googly wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:50 am
There must have been some real politicking going on if Cephas was already in the UK. Burl really is a talented bat, I’m not sure why he hasn’t done well (yet), they may have made the right choice for this tournament but ultimately they have to persevere with Ryan because he’s the best of our prospects. He’s good, just needs that one innings to kick start him.
This is true. Funny thing is I feel like that for PJ as well despite his poor stats. When he first came onto the scene he was easily clearing the boundary ropes. Effortlessly.. I wonder what happened. Why did he suddenly change? He just needs that lucky break

Googly

Post by Googly »

I wasn’t considering PJ amongst our list of young prospects as he’s a bit older. He’s certianly reined in his shot making a bit. He probably keeps coming in when they have to consolidate the innings again, or has to come in and get on with it without too many sighters, which may partially account for that. Also the opposition probably have some information on him and know where his scoring areas are. I remember him being very strong through extra.
When you’re short on runs you try being positive, then if that’s not working you try and be more circumspect, then you start tinkering with guards, backlift and triggers and all kinds of shit. Every batsman has his own tempo and it’s important not to lose sight of that. Of course different bowlers, pitches and state of the game all impact your natural rhythm but it’s vital to practice hard and believe in your ability, even when you can’t buy a run. It’s a tough old game. I haven’t seen him for a while, but I’ve heard he practices very hard. I’m a believer in practicing harder than you play, but then I’ve also seen guys come off a break and get that monkey off their back. No one really knows the answers, what works for one person won’t for another. Everyone says it’s a batsman’s game nowadays but I’m not so sure. The bowlers have really come to the party these days, especially the spinners.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

TapsC wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:12 am
To think that they had Burl ahead of him. I don't credit streak and Taibu for this. They clearly didn't want him in the team. It was outside pressure that forced them to pick him.
Burl List A average is 30 with 1 century

Zhuwao List average is 23.6 with no centuries

Until Zhuwao's big hundred v Kenya which was after the UAE squad was picked he had no real argument for a spot in the side, Burl struggled at Sharjah and Cephas was brought in, I can't see what you're complaining about??

This rubbish 'assumption' that Streak & Taibu have something against Zhuwao and were 'over-ruled' by 'outside pressure' is absurd and it's just a conspiracy theory with zero substance from what I can see.

Where are you getting this info from?

Who are these 'outside pressures' ??

How do you know Streak and Taibu "clearly don't want him in the team"??
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

As for Cephas Zhuwao he's done his job so far barring the Afghanistan game but that is where I have my concerns about him against quality opposition. Hopefully he can emulate is form against the weaker sides against Ireland & Windies as a quick 40 against them is more useful than a quick 40 against Nepal.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement