[Match Thread]: Pak tour of Zim Odi Series : 1st Match : ZIM vs PAK

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [Match Thread]: Pak tour of Zim Odi Series : 1st Match : ZIM vs PAK

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:28 pm
The other young man who’d offer first change seam and has a lot of potential with the bat is Brad Evans. He’s doing well in Uni cricket. I’d say he’s got the edge on The Don. I’ve heard he’s very keen to come back, but again is currently at Uni, but plays a lot of quality cricket games.
I've faced him, right nasty fuck, but what a bowler. If you want somebody with a bit of pace and bounce I completely agree, Evans is one to target

Googly

Post by Googly »

It’s early days for Murray. IMO he’s a bit suspect against quality seam, has a bit of work to do.
There’s no way he was as good as BT at the same age as a batsman. Taylor is a world class player, but he’s definitely got capacity to improve.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I know it’s not fair to compare, but look at the keepers in waiting for England. The incumbent is Bairstow, then in the wings is Foakes, Pope (20) and Banton (18). You have to watch the two youngsters bat! Everyone raves about Pope, and he’s damned good, but the one to watch is Banton. This lad is one of those rare batters that makes batting look easy, he gets a quality delivery that most look to defend and he more often than not plays it with ease through a gap, he’s one special talent. These boys play 40 or more games of high level cricket in a season and then look to winter in Australia or wherever for another 20 or more games vs Murray who is a talented part timer whom everyone is excited about, as am I, don’t get me wrong, but this is why we’re getting left in the dust.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I wonder what Grant Flower’s reception has been like from our players, tech staff and supporters?

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

I don't know what to think. On the one hand, I want to see guys like Taylor, Williams, Cremer, Ervine, and Raza play till they are 40 cuz Zimbabwe need them. Then again, that just delays the changing of the guard which will hamper development for the future. And, those senior guys at the end of the day will be measured by the fact that when it all came down to it (the UAE game), they let it slip with all factors in their favor. They knew the equation, home field advantage, flat deck, etc.

Ervine is almost 33. Taylor 32, Williams almost 32, Raza 32, and Cremer almost 32. Realistically how many years do they have left given they are now in the peak of their careers?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

NickG
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by NickG »

Jesus Christ it comes to something when we are praising a kid for scoring 32 at a poor strike rate by international ODI standards!!!

There is nothing positive to take from this game. All it does is amplify the woeful state of cricket in Zimbabwe and those responsible for it.

I pray for change soon...

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

32 and out, is nothing not even at a run a ball on such a flat track. 32 not out though means he could have gone on to score bigger. Very young player and this is a top class bowling attack so its not all bad. Still far too little and too early to say a whole lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

It is important to blood new young players but the team should never exclusively be young. Taylor, Raza, Ervine, Williams, Cremer, Waller still have at least another 4 years of international cricket in them. The difference in selection needs to be that when one of them strikes poor form a younger players is selected instead. The days of any of our veterans being automatic selections needs to come to an end.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

My call for Hamilton to be dropped a few months ago doesn't seem so far fetched now.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Obviously Pakistan have an outstanding bowling attack, but this is not looking too tidy. I haven’t seen any of these guys but as batters there’s Kamunukamwe and Prince that people are talking about. It would be worthwhile having a look whilst we’re in this desperate situation. There’s also Shumba and Shardendorff who looked fairly solid in the U19’s. Unfortunately there’s no substitute for lots of tough games at FC level to prepare someone for international cricket so it’s an almost impossible task finding replacement batsmen.
The one guy everyone has forgotten about is Trenoweth. Weekly English Div 1 club cricket is probably a better school than our FC stuff so he’d be as well prepared as anyone here. By all accounts he’s good and can give it a clout. They should have given him a T20 game.
This crap about doing some time here or it will upset the local lads who’ve tried so hard is stupid, we’re in crisis and most here aren’t good enough for international cricket and never will be.
I heard last night that they were trying to persuade Muyeye to bin the UK and come back here, I hope for his sake that he told them to fuck off. There’s an act of selfish desperation, ignore a black kid at u19 that goes to Peterhouse because it’s an elite school and then beg for him to come back one year later to play for your national side :lol:
Peterhouse is full of politicians’ kids so it’s funny that they like to stick with Churchill. Well probably not that strange as they don’t play cricket.
There’s a fantastic video floating around of some of these charming boys smacking the crap out of white kids in the dormitories for everyone’s amusement.
There’s Mavuta and Madhevere that also look ok in the spin dept. I have to say I wasn’t that impressed with Roche’s bowling. International cricket is the toughest school of them all and he bowls too slowly and not much variation, maybe he can change it, but it doesn’t look like it, I think he’s got a bit of work to do. He wasn’t in long enough with the bat to assess, but he looks a bit loose.
People obviously know about the state of our cricket, but it’s only becoming apparent how dire it actually is. England or India u19 would give our national side a hiding in any format, that’s the sad truth. They’ve just played, in fact SA U19 is there in england now playing a series. Singo will pick his team in a year or so and we’ll all pray there are some winners amongst them :lol: