Lalchand rajput's Short term Evaluation

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimdis

Lalchand rajput's Short term Evaluation

Post by zimdis »

What do you think about the impact that Lalchand Rajput has had on the Zim team ?
What areas would you suggest him to work on and which areas of his work with the team are you really happy with ?

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Lalchand rajput's Short term Evaluation

Post by sloandog »

zimdis wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:02 pm
What do you think about the impact that Lalchand Rajput has had on the Zim team ?
What areas would you suggest him to work on and which areas of his work with the team are you really happy with ?
Hi Lalchand

zimdis

Post by zimdis »

This was ought to be a serious discussion :geek:

Googly

Post by Googly »

:lol: :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well the good thing is that the Big Man has figured out that this is where it all happens. :lol:
Good job boss. Good luck with ZC and the selection panel.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Does anyone else call him ‘Lachlan’ in their head?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimdis

Post by zimdis »

Haha. Disheartening to see that you guys don't care to appreciate or even criticize someone who has world class experience in coaching.
Tough to understand who else is serious out here with ZC as a whole ?

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I think he's done fairly well considering what he's had to deal

Player strike
Losing Blessing
Cremer injury
picking the guys up after the CWCQ Disappointment
Stepping in after the popular Coach Streak was sacked
Tough match ups v Pakistan, Australia, South Africa & Bangladesh

I can see a definite improvement on how the boys were playing the spin in Bangladesh but they really were outclassed against the speed of the Saffers attack.

There have been some guys who have really improved like PJ & Jarvis but it's hard to know how much credit Rajput gets for that?

The biggest issues facing Rajput are the same ones everyone who takes this job on faces

Lack of fixtures which kill off any momentum the side builds up over time, the way the guys are playing now if they were starting a series v Sri Lanka or the Windies in a months time at home I reckon they'd be a really good shout at winning an ODI or Test series. But the fact they'll sit around play a bit of domestic cricket then have to go wait for a 2 month training camp before playing India kills off any momentum or strides they've made.

The other big issues he faces are around the make up the side, the side is ageing and although guys like Whatmore and Streak have tried to bring in new guys the side really hasn't changed much over the last 10 years, LR has said he will make an effort to bring in new guys but it's easier said than done for a few reasons

Lack of quality coming through

Lack of matches especially against 'inferior opponents' to blood the youngsters

Interference from 'outside powers'

It's hard to believe LR would say he's trying to bring young guys yet pick guys like Chamu, Cephas & Elton whilst leaving guys like Murray, Kamunhukamwe & Tari on the bench during the last two tours, I could be wrong but I think since Utseya, Walter and Makoni got back in power there have been selections made over Rajput's head.

The other issue linked to rejuvenating the side is attracting the young guys back from overseas, with not many fixtures, less central contracts, shortened domestic season, poor salaries for domestic players and staff cuts coming back to play in Zimbabwe isn't very attractive. Plus Rajput wouldn't have the links to the players families like a local like Streak would have had to encourage them to comeback.

2019 seems like a year that ZC will just try and survive and pay off most of the debt then hope to use the ODI championship in 2020 to secure more fixtures and cash flow, until then I can't see what the coach can do to improve things much considering what he has to play with.

looking at the fixtures ahead in 2019 I think he should be targeting the following

Home series v India likely to be all 3-5 ODI's and maybe 2 t20's

India will likely send a side minus a few stars but they'll be in full steam ahead for the WC, if Zimbabwe can win one ODI and one t20 game that would be a good result, the last time India came with a very under-strength side the ODI's were very one sided but the t20 series was very tight.

Away series v Ireland 3 ODI's & 3 t20's

Shame there won't be any Tests as Ireland are also staying away from hosting Tests due to heavy costs involved. Although the conditions will be very foreign for the guys they really need to win both series I feel otherwise the board won't be happy with LR, Ireland are going through a transitional phase and the board won't be happy losing to a side they feel they should beat.

Home series v Windies 2 Tests & 3 ODI's

I still think they'll end up flipping it to just ODI's and t20's but if the Tests go ahead they really should target this series as a chance to win at least 1 Test, in the series last year Zimbabwe really should have won one of the Tests after letting strong positions slip in both matches, LR would have been in charge for around 18 months by then so if he hasn't got the players playing to a satisfactory level by that point the board will be getting very impatient. The ODI's should also be very even depending on what side the Windies send over, there will likely be a massive overhaul of their side after the WC.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

I’m a huge fan of him , can already see his quirkiness is having. a solid effect on the boys . He hasn’t got the greatest playing pool to choose from but he seems to get the best out of what he has got. I have a feeling he will
Unearth some real gems in the near future
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

To be honest i struggle to understand what a coach does for an international cricket team outside of selection and motivation.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*