Jackiel- Our own Malinga

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Jackiel- Our own Malinga

Post by jaybro »

eugene wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:53 pm
I am hyping up Jackiel over at Zimbabwe Cricket News on facebook. I might try to get an interview with him.
I wonder if he knows we've been talking him up for years
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jward

Post by jward »

jaybro wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:10 pm
eugene wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:53 pm
I am hyping up Jackiel over at Zimbabwe Cricket News on facebook. I might try to get an interview with him.
I wonder if he knows we've been talking him up for years
EVERYBODY - please note, correct spelling is JAKIEL, as he told me personally himself.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Good article, apart from mis-spelling Jakiel’s name lol

Zhawi is my favourite local Zim reporter/writer, he’s much better than Mehuli Sibanda

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

The reporter casually threw in that he made headlines in Australia but gave no context or examples.

Would be very curious when or where this happened?

No zimbo's make the news here.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:14 am
The reporter casually threw in that he made headlines in Australia but gave no context or examples.

Bit loose there with the 'made headlines in Australia' part, there was an article (probably in this thread) where he apparently made an impression on Glenn Maxwell & Aaron Finch whilst bowling at them in the nets during the 2018 t20 tri series.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Well I remember an article saying that Bumrah, Jakiel, Rabada and Ferguson were the best new young upcoming fast bowlers in the world but that wasn’t Australian, that was an Indian article.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:14 am

It's as Jaybro says. Made an impression on some of the aussies.

Zim journalism is just terrible. The title is "Malinga continues to shine" which is wrong on so many levels from a journalistic standpoint.

kudet

Post by kudet »

https://www.theindependent.co.zw/2019/0 ... o-come-to/
TOCHUKWU Emwerem kind of let us down a bit.

By Enock Muchinjo

A Nigerian name on a Zimbabwe Test team-list would have been cause of great fascination among world cricket’s press corps — definitely a story worth telling.

While he is still only 27, Emwerem has all but faded away — cricket-wise that is — unable to add anything beyond his three Youth ODIs for Zimbabwe Under-19s and a couple of Matabeleland Tuskers B appearances.

Born and bred in Bulawayo into a proud Nigerian immigrant family, Toch — as his mates call him — initially showed his prodigious talents at Falcon College, where coaches and onlookers alike spoke of him as a certain future Zimbabwe international.

But while it is really not something out of the ordinary that a Zimbabwean cricketer can be a locally-born son of Nigerians — raised in a city with a proud cricketing heritage and schooled at the eminent Falcon College — you would think that this would be as far as any cricketing relations between these two countries can get.

Now, a Nigeria Under-19 national team coming to play Zimbabwe — as is currently happening — would have been a most unthinkable thing in the history of Zimbabwean cricket even as the West Africans were flying here for the one-week tour.

You just could not make it up.

Zimbabwe are using the matches as part of preparations for next year’s Under-19 World Cup, to which they automatically qualify by virtue of being a full member of the International Cricket Council (ICC). As for the Nigerians, they are en route to Namibia for a qualification competition in Africa Division One later this month, in pursuit of an elusive ticket to that Under-19 World Cup.

Few expect them to qualify.

There has not been any meaningful cricket to talk about in Nigeria since the game was first introduced there many decades ago.

But the ICC says it is using hugely populated countries like Nigeria as one of the target zones in the world to grow the game.

These are all plausible efforts and, for Zimbabwe, there is of course the moral obligation to offer a helping hand to an African brother who needs it.

It is a nice gesture by ZC, to reach out, and Zimbabwe should feel a sense of responsibility towards the emerging African cricketing nations.

We have been shown the way too, sailing in waves of a huge sea of goodwill from different people and different places.

But spare a thought for the long-suffering Zimbabwean cricket supporters. Do not lynch them for having a bad feeling about now having to play cricket against teams from Nigeria.

They have been here before — seeing the signs, the steady decline and all of a sudden the Waterloo.

It happens in stages: overtaken by Bangladesh, overtaken by Afghanistan and denied a place in the World Cup by United Arab Emirates.

And then while you are still wondering if that is what is has come to — reduced to playing against Nigeria—you wake up to more distressing news that strife-torn Afghanistan are calling off a tour because their hosts, Zimbabwe, are too broke to afford sharing the broadcasting costs.

As if to rub it in, this just has to happen in the World Cup year, where Zimbabwe will be conspicuously absent for the first time in 36 years.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I remember joking 10-12 years ago that we were on our way to playing against Burkina Faso and Nigeria, it seems that prediction is coming to fruition!
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes