Anyone else not looking forward to it in the same way...

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimbos_05

Anyone else not looking forward to it in the same way...

Post by zimbos_05 »

...the world cup is obviously what I am talking about.

I saw the captains photo and not seeing Zim hurt a little bit, especially as it was Afghanistan (who by all accounts were dead and buried) who made it.

Like every time I see the hype for the tournament, I just don't feel it as much. It sucks that the ICC keep this game as an elite boys club and show no signs of changing. I got an email about the store and last world cup I was super keen to splash cash, but this time I just delete the email before opening it.

I will watch games, but know that a part of me will keep reliving in my head, '3 damn runs', 'it was the frikken UAE', 'this just sucks'...

...and as such, I am not looking forward to it in the same as per usual.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Anyone else not looking forward to it in the same way...

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

It sucks, but if we are to be truly honest we would just be making up the numbers this time around. I don't think we would have upset anyone... whereas as Afghanistan showed against Pakistan yesterday, they could actually make an impact in this tournament.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 2:37 pm
It sucks, but if we are to be truly honest we would just be making up the numbers this time around. I don't think we would have upset anyone... whereas as Afghanistan showed against Pakistan yesterday, they could actually make an impact in this tournament.
Warm up games don't mean anything. But yes, the quality of cricket at this world *should* be higher than its ever been before due to the cuthroat and brutal nature of the tournament (group stage and then straight to semifinals) no quarterfinals, no super n stage. Quite possibly, a Bangladesh-Pakistan-South Africa-New Zealand will be tied on points at the end of the league phase, with net run rate sending one or two of the sides to the semifinals whereas the other goes home. Can you imagine the jubilation/heartbreak when that happens? I'm prepared for it, but man that will still hurt.

Sri Lanka enter the tournament as the weakest side, but I think they will still win 2 games. I think the Afghans will win 2-3 games, possibly at the 2nd half of the tournament or if the English summer is as warm as last year. I can totally see the Afghans beating South Africa who cannot play spin to save their lives. The Windies will compete with Sri Lanka for having the worst bowling attack in the tournament, but I think their batting will be good enough to win 2-3 games as well.

Had Ireland played, the most they could hope for is 1 win against Afghanistan (who they matchup well with for some reason due to neutralizing Rashid-Mujeeb). A Zimbabwe would have done well to just avoid 100+ run defeats against every team. Scotland would have been in the Ireland boat had the qualifiers had DRS: hope for 1 good day against a team.

But the 10 teams that are in, will all win at least 2 games. Thats my updated prediction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Good posts here, and I agree this will be a tough world cup. No favourites for me tbh, just about any team can beat the other on a given day. As we saw the way India lost to Nzl today... Pretty much anything is possible.

For Zimbabwe, no need to be sad, they will have a tour of Netherlands and Ireland while the WC is on, otherwise honestly Zimbabwe would have just made up the numbers this time, better to rebuild as you are, it's time to get some strong results no matter whom you play, just like the UAE series and the test match win over BAN, build up on this success and focus on qualifying for T20 WC.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I don’t know the latest re Morgan’s finger but England surely have to be the favorites. The only thing that might undo them is some magic spin from someone, but their batting line-up is quite something. I stand by my prediction- Butler will win them the World Cup, I can feel it in my bones.
Zim are way off the pace here. Missing out has not only cost us financially, but I also think this WC will raise the bar on how 50 over cricket is played hereafter. When these big sides get into a position of only being 2/3 down at the 30 over mark and then playing the back end like a T20 results in some scary scores. One commentator was saying back in the day chasing 6 an over was practically considered impossible. The good teams are regularly chasing 8’s and 9’s without a hint of panic.

Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Andybligzz »

I seriously recon Australia are flying under the radar , 5 times champions and upset the poms last night . I know
It was a warm up game but England don’t do well with pressure and Yes England were missing root and Morgan but aus also didn’t have starc , Maxwell or Cummins . Massive massive confidence booster for the aussies .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Andybligzz »

Googly wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 6:44 pm
I don’t know the latest re Morgan’s finger but England surely have to be the favorites. The only thing that might undo them is some magic spin from someone, but their batting line-up is quite something. I stand by my prediction- Butler will win them the World Cup, I can feel it in my bones.
Zim are way off the pace here. Missing out has not only cost us financially, but I also think this WC will raise the bar on how 50 over cricket is played hereafter. When these big sides get into a position of only being 2/3 down at the 30 over mark and then playing the back end like a T20 results in some scary scores. One commentator was saying back in the day chasing 6 an over was practically considered impossible. The good teams are regularly chasing 8’s and 9’s without a hint of panic.
Flatter pitches , power plays , 2 new balls , bigger bats , smaller grounds , faster outfields ... cricket was best when it was a battle between bat and ball . No fun for bowlers anymore , no swing or Seam great if you are a batsman not so much if you are a bowler .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

Googly

Post by Googly »

Yup there’s that too :lol: but I do believe batting has gone to new levels.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

This CWC will show just how far behind Zimbabwe has fallen. To be honest not watching us get slaughtered in foreign conditions might be a relief.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I see your guys point, I guess I'm such a biased fan that I rather see my team there than any other. Plus, assuming we qualified, Streak would still be in charge and you have to feel some of the players would have come back and we would not have to deal with the likes of Elton or other sub par players ever again.

In saying that, losing is the wake up we needed. However, that wake up generally results in some serious change and overhaul. Things like out with the old, in with the new, investing in youth and infrastructure, developing a proper strategy, domestic franchise, and bringing in proper coaching talent...but none of that has really happened.

Still under the same leadership. We're like the Manchester United of cricket at the moment. Being run by the wrong people.