Youngsters a must after this tour

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Youngsters a must after this tour

Post by sloandog »

55* and 45* against the UAE as well as four straight wins as skipper. That’s as big an improvement as any player

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

sloandog wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:30 am
55* and 45* against the UAE as well as four straight wins as skipper. That’s as big an improvement as any player
And on that note, congrats on the 7000!

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:39 am
sloandog wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:30 am
And on that note, congrats on the 7000!
😁😁🙋🏻‍♂️ didn’t even realise hey!

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Not sure how most of you see Hammy as a core player. The guy is 35 with a terrible record as captain, and not producing the goods on the field. His last five international innings in any format he has scored 8, 4, 5, 7 and 14. Remember that 4 of those innings were against the Netherlands. A side he really should be cashing in against or at the very least hitting mid double figures.

He may be a household name, but he is by no means a core player. Youth are needed and the argument that by dropping Hammy means we lose a lot is flawed. If he was scoring runs, there would be an argument for his spot, but the fact that he is not means that if a youngster was doing the same thing, we lose nothing, but stand to gain everything by a youngster scoring runs and gaining the experience needed.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:59 am
Not sure how most of you see Hammy as a core player. The guy is 35 with a terrible record as captain, and not producing the goods on the field. His last five international innings in any format he has scored 8, 4, 5, 7 and 14. Remember that 4 of those innings were against the Netherlands. A side he really should be cashing in against or at the very least hitting mid double figures.

He may be a household name, but he is by no means a core player. Youth are needed and the argument that by dropping Hammy means we lose a lot is flawed. If he was scoring runs, there would be an argument for his spot, but the fact that he is not means that if a youngster was doing the same thing, we lose nothing, but stand to gain everything by a youngster scoring runs and gaining the experience needed.
Could not have agreed anymore , thank you sir !
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Nobody else is firing either though so to lay blame solely on him isn’t fair. Additionally, if there were 3 or 4 youngsters in the wings itching to go I’d understand, but there aren’t. He’s still one of the best we have and I think he should be there for another couple of years. Yes, he’s in a terrible patch of form, but class in permanent

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:31 am
Nobody else is firing either though so to lay blame solely on him isn’t fair. Additionally, if there were 3 or 4 youngsters in the wings itching to go I’d understand, but there aren’t. He’s still one of the best we have and I think he should be there for another couple of years. Yes, he’s in a terrible patch of form, but class in permanent
I'm not solely blaming him, just stating that I don't think he is undroppable. When you start talking about class is permanent, then you are starting to look at comparing to players like a Smith or Amla. Players who have been out of the game for a while or had drops in form but then were still able to produce quality and whose quality is justified by their stats.

Hammy is a great servant, not so much an undroppable player who oozes class. You and I both know that their are youngsters in the wings capable of taking the spot or being given the opportunity.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Andybligzz wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:08 am
zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:59 am

Could not have agreed anymore , thank you sir !
You got to think Hammys next series is make or break. He also seems to go well in tests, so is his test place safe?
Is it just a matter of he can’t walk and chew gum at the same time and he needs to ditch the captaincy? Not the first time a zimbo couldn’t do both.

Although in my opinion, we need to look at whether Hammy is a possibility for the next World Cup or T20 cup. Unlikely the first but probably the latter.
Although If it’s decided that the his T20 days are behind him then there is absolutely no point in keeping an old Bloke out of form at this stage. Tari or Burl would suck balls for his spot atm. Although I’d like to see one of the expats return.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

Hammy’s future rests on who wins this boardroom battle, end of story. If there’s a new board his days are numbered, he’ll rightfully be phased out unless he hits proper form again because there’s Burl and Masakanda that should have the opportunities he’s had.
I’m a fan but you can’t keep failing, when was the last time he made a run? He’s also played a quiet political game and that will count against him. He needs hundreds to save his own bacon.

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

On this tour of Europe
Hami and Mire have dissappointed
Jarvis and Chatara have been ordinary
Tiripano has showed usefulness with the bat but miserable bowling
Raza and Mutumbani have been up and down