Euro Tour Ratings

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Euro Tour Ratings

Post by jaybro »

I usually enjoy writing these post series ratings because I can usually find positives despite the defeats, but after a hugely disappointing tour where Zimbabwe were easily accounted for by both Netherlands & Ireland the positives were few and far between. Overall the lack of depth and lack of any real match practice in the last 8 months has caught up with the side, the 'Big Dogs' of the side barely played any Domestic Cricket or were off warming the benches in various t20 leagues around the world, whilst the lack of quality amongst the domestic sides meant there weren't many options. Interestingly the one 'Big Dog' who did play the entire domestic season was Craig Ervine who ended up having a great tour, maybe the message to the rest who couldn't be bothered?

Craig Ervine - 8: Probably the only guy to actually have a great tour 'little slug' has well & truly put his demons to bed after the 2018 season including the UAE game, after a dominant domestic season & series v the UAE he's backed it up with 467 runs across both formats including a century & four 50 plus scores. He even dominated the T20Is which he usually struggles in, if he had more help around him things might have been different for Zimbabwe. 256 ODI runs @51.2 1x100 1x50 & 211 T20I runs @70.3 3x50

Sean Williams - 7.5: Williams had a decent tour as he scored the 2nd most runs for the tour whilst also taking the most wickets, but he started the tour off very slowly with the bat scoring just 29 runs against the Dutch, he came good in Ireland with the bat scoring three 50 plus scores, but as has been the norm in his ODI career, his half centuries didn't result in victories. Good to see him come good again with the ball after struggling for wickets in Bangladesh. 171 ODI runs @34.2 2x50, 92 T20I runs @34.3 1x50 & 9 ODI wickets @22.6 Eco 5.3, 4 T20I wickets @25.25 Eco 7.7

Ryan Burl - 6: Considering he was probably only in the squad because he actually turned up for the training camp, Burl was one of the few bright spots of the tour and maybe he is finally about to start showing on the potential we know he has. Brought into the side as a No.8 spinner, he took his chances with the bat & scored a 49* plus a career first 50 in the 2nd ODI v Ireland, sadly he wasn't able to get Zimbabwe home despite needing just 15 off the last two overs, but in all a good series for Burl, hopefully we see more of this from him. 103 ODI runs @51.5 1x50, 30 T20I runs @10 & 1 ODI wicket @75 Eco 6.25, 2 T20I wickets @39 Eco 8.6

Chris Mpofu - 5.5: Only got the one chance in the ODIs against Ireland & failed to take a wicket, but he was good in the T20Is where he took 5 wickets at a better average & economy than KJ. I wanted to see him more in the ODIs but the fact Tiripano's batting is superior to his made that a hard call to make for the side, always a willing contributor Mpofu is doing enough to make sure he's in the side for the T20I WC. 5 T20I wickets @24.6 Eco 8.78

Kyle Jarvis - 5: I was a bit generous with KJ because his efforts probably deserved better figures with the ball, but on paper his 3 ODI wickets cost 66.6 a piece & in the end of the day it was Zimbabwe's inability to take early wickets that cost them dearly this tour. If Jarvis wants to be a quality ODI bowler he needs to be doing much better, it's all well & good to run through & bully the UAE batsman, but he'll find tougher opposition than the Dutch & Irish who dealt with him too easily. Scored some good runs down the order which Zimbabwe have been missing from their bowlers. 3 ODI wickets @66.6 Eco 4.97, 5 T20I wickets @26.02 Eco 11.07 & 64 ODI runs @32

Tendai Chatara - 5: Much like KJ, Chatara wasn't at his best this tour struggling on the flat decks in Holland, whilst he couldn't take advantage of the new ball in Ireland. He still got 8 wickets overall but considering KJ & Larry are the only real strike bowlers in the setup at this point in time, Zimbabwe really needs them both to be taking more wickets. Not sure if it was the camera angles or not, but Chatara looked very 'pedestrian' this tour, hopefully we see him steam in more next series. 5 ODI wickets @36.20 Eco 4.34 & 3 T20I wickets @25 Eco 9.37

Brendan Taylor - 5: The tour started well for BT as he scored consecutive fifty plus scores against the Dutch, plus he also did the damage in the 'Super Over' to win the 2nd T20I, but the Ireland leg of the tour was a really poor one for him as he struggled with bat & gloves in the ODIs. He got caught twice hitting in the air whilst also collecting a 'Golden Duck' his glove work was sloppy missing a few crucial chances which could have turned the first two ODIs. I liked the fact he opened in the T20Is & I feel he could be used there in all formats going forward, also it really is time to give Murray the gloves. 137 ODI runs @27.4 2x50 & 106 T20I runs @26.5

Sikander Raza - 4.5: Another player who mostly disappointed throughout both tours Raza struggle to find his groove with bat or ball barring his 85 NO against the Dutch, it was a bare tour for Raza. You could imagine with all that has happened in the last couple of years & with the latest board issues, Raza is probably ready to finish his Zim career & concentrate on T20 league stuff. Ironically it was his T20 form which was poorest & he'll want to turn that around if he is to take the circuit route.141 ODI runs @35.25 1x50, 24 T20I runs @8 & 2 ODI wickets @65.50 Eco 5.03, 2 T20I wickets @34.00 Eco 7.55

Donald Tiripano - 3: Time is surely running out for the Don, I've been saying for a long time now his bowling is just cannon fodder for any decent batsman, his bowling is only effective on pitches favouring bowlers which is a rarity in most parts of the world. He once again showed grit with the bat, I honestly think if he concentrated on his batting he'd be of more use to the side as a batsman who can still bowl some overs, but he cannot be Zimbabwe's 1st change bowler if the side wants to improve. 72 ODI runs @24 & 2 ODI wickets @84.50 Eco 5.28

Solomon Mire - 2: A miserable tour for Solomon with the bat in both formats, he really has totally lost confidence in his game & looks so out of shape. He's not even trying to be that aggressive opener anymore as most of his dismissals came as he meekly tried to survive the likes of Klaassen & Murtagh. A move down the order was tried for the final ODI, although it didn't work I feel that is his best spot for now, especially if he continues to bowl, he actually bowled well taking 5 wickets @16. Didn't bother posting his T20I numbers as they were rubbish 50 ODI runs @12.5 & 5 ODI wickets @16.4 Eco 5.46

Ainsely Ndolvu - 2: Ainsley started his International career off the best possible start - a wicket off his first ever ball, but it was all down hill from there as he struggled to contain the Dutch batsman & failed to take another wicket. The frailty of the batting order meant he was left out of the Irish ODIs for Burl which was a shame, it would have been good to get a better look at him, now we're still unsure whether or not he's the answer to Zim's spinning problems. 1 ODI wicket @80 Eco 4.70

Hamilton Masakadza - 1: Hamilton's tour best sums up the entire sides' story, pathetic! He barely hit the ball out of the middle & didn't add one single decent score to the tour, hard to see how he can continue as captain considering his abysmal record having never won an ODI as captain & with such poor form. I sort of hope he doesn't get dropped & is able to bow out on his terms, but with no cricket at home scheduled in the near future it's hard to see him getting a home fair-well, plus he's been ridden off before only to claw his way back. 54 ODI runs @10.8 & 13 T20I runs @3.28

Peter Moor - 1: The deputy definitely followed his captains' lead as he had a horror tour, no runs to speak of at all, although he was dropped after the 1st ODI v Ireland which was odd considering he has played a lot of cricket there. I'm not convinced batting down @7 is his best spot, nor am I convinced his game is suited to ODI cricket, but he's a good chap & a hard worker so it's worth sticking with him, possibly moving up the order is best for him & the side.26 ODI runs @8.66 & 13 T20I runs at 4.33

Richmond Mutumbami - 1: Not sure what he was doing on the tour at all to be honest? and I was even more surprised to see him get a game, I guess the injuries to Elton & Kamunhukamwe opened the door for him. Did score 28 in the 3rd ODI but the side needed more, it makes zero sense he's in the side in front of Murray.30 ODI runs @15

Elton Chigumbura - n/a: Played a really good knock in the 2nd T20I against the Dutch where his 29 off 18 almost got Zimbabwe home, he then helped BT in the Super Over to win it for Zimbabwe, picked up an injury in the Ireland Wolves match & wasn't sighted again. He definitely would have played in the 1st ODI v Ireland so the injury came at a bad time for him, but surely it's time to say goodbye?

Tinashe Kamunhukamwe - n/a Out first ball he faced after getting a chance against Ireland, and to be fair it was a peach from Mark Adair that jagged back in off a dangerous length, sadly he rolled his ankle and wasn't seen again.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Euro Tour Ratings

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

What a miserable tour. Those ratings speak for themselves. You might have been a bit lenient on Raza and Taylor too. They were better in the NED leg, but we were basically Ervine-Williams show by the time it all came to an end. Taylor's keeping levels were specifically sad. The less said about Hamilton and Moor the better.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:05 am
What a miserable tour. Those ratings speak for themselves. You might have been a bit lenient on Raza and Taylor too. They were better in the NED leg, but we were basically Ervine-Williams show by the time it all came to an end. Taylor's keeping levels were specifically sad. The less said about Hamilton and Moor the better.
Yeah I agree I was going to give them less but Raza’s ODI average was actually on par with his career obviously due to that 85*

Even KJ & Chatara could have been lower, miserable is the perfect word to describe the whole thing
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

If there’s a changing of the guard you’re going to see some of these guys doing some extra practice :lol:
The days of complacency will be drawing to a close.
If I wrote these contracts I’d just have a stipulation about hitting x amount of balls a day. I’m not saying they don’t practice hard, but they could certainly do a bit more.
We’re so missing a couple of good guys doing the hard yards ready in the wings. They’ve got to get Murray into this side as soon as, provided he’s still up for it.
Coach, selectors and capt have to pack their bags. Always room for Hammy if he comes back strong and escapes the witch hunt, but not as captain.