[ Poll ] What happens next?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!

What happens next? (TM - Tavengwa Mukuhlani / DEB - Dave Ellman-Brown)

Cricket LIVES: TM board restored, ICC restore funding and the players stay
6%
Cricket LIVES: DEB board stays, ICC restore funding and the players stay
11%
Cricket LIVES: A new board is elected and the situation returns to normalcy
22%
Cricket DIES: TM board restored, no more funding and players leave
11%
Cricket DIES: DEB board stays, no more funding and players leave
28%
Cricket DIES: A new board is elected and the situation deteriorates
22%

Total votes: 18

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

[ Poll ] What happens next?

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Let the people of the forum make their predictions.

Googly

Re: [ Poll ] What happens next?

Post by Googly »

Well I don’t think a DEB board is an option now. A new board constitutionally elected for the next 4 years from the outset has to be one of your options.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Googly wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:49 pm
Well I don’t think a DEB board is an option now. A new board constitutionally elected for the next 4 years from the outset has to be one of your options.
The SRC's mandate was that the DEB board would need to hold fresh elections by late next year.

Presumably he didn't put his neck on the line like this to be interim chairman for a couple of weeks?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well I don’t think they expected ICC to be so strongly opposed, so they have to shift emphasis. I’m not a great believer in African democracy. I believe in benevolent dictatorships, not that we’ve ever seen one. :lol:
Well we have in the short term, but the absolute power gets to them eventually. Whilst anyone thinks he might be president one day they spend their lives plotting and not working and it gives a voice to extreme idiots and to people that only have a tiny piece of the jigsaw through lack of education and terrible prejudice.
It’s like social media :lol:, the shit that people come up with and their views and opinions are staggering. Nobody would ever deign to listen to some folk, it would be like a casual swat to the head and be told to go to the playground, but they have a voice.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Fair enough, I added the new board option.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

Help me out here.

Back in 2006, the then-ZC board was suspended by the SRC and an Interim Board put in place. (Never mind for the moment that that 'Interim Board' was led by Chingoka and probably marked the start of the collapse in management ability that we're seeing the end results of now...) At that time, the ICC's determination was that it was an internal matter and that they wouldn't intervene; ZC opted out of Test cricket, but otherwise remained in-play.

So why, when the same Government-backed organisation does the same thing, does the ICC now decide that it's suddenly not on..?

My take is that the SRC are doing the right thing (for whatever underlying motivations); the ICC have fucked up; and if our suspension lasts longer than the end of the year at the latest, we're done permanently.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Very good points.

The only thing I'd add is that even the end of the year might be too late. A few more blokes join Mire in retirement and we'll be too depleted to recover.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

If the ICC only care about a selected board. The SRC just has to engineer a new election?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

tawac

Post by tawac »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:17 pm
If the ICC only care about a selected board. The SRC just has to engineer a new election?
Is that option even on the table. Can fresh elections be held within three months when the TM board was given a 4 year mandate. If its possible then I think thats the only way out of this. Reinstating the TM board will never do.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

tawac

Post by tawac »

maehara wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:38 pm
Help me out here.

Back in 2006, the then-ZC board was suspended by the SRC and an Interim Board put in place. (Never mind for the moment that that 'Interim Board' was led by Chingoka and probably marked the start of the collapse in management ability that we're seeing the end results of now...) At that time, the ICC's determination was that it was an internal matter and that they wouldn't intervene; ZC opted out of Test cricket, but otherwise remained in-play.

So why, when the same Government-backed organisation does the same thing, does the ICC now decide that it's suddenly not on..?

My take is that the SRC are doing the right thing (for whatever underlying motivations); the ICC have fucked up; and if our suspension lasts longer than the end of the year at the latest, we're done permanently.

Somewhat double standards by ICC. Without ICC funding Zimbabwe Cricket is dead. And not being able to play in ICC tournaments only adds salt to our injuries. I would have thought if we were treated the same way Nepal and USA were treated by being allowed to participate in ICC tournament then at list the livelihoods of the players wouldn't be taken away.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'