[MATCH THREAD] Pro50 R5 2019/20 Tuskers v Rhinos & Rangers v Mountaineers

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: [MATCH THREAD] Pro50 R5 2019/20 Tuskers v Rhinos & Rangers v Mountaineers

Post by Googly »

Well then you’ll find that these reporters and their ilk will just be taking out some of the bigger words of two syllables or more that they don’t understand and passing it off as their own. I’ve often wondered how they’ve managed to write more than 4 sentences about actual cricket :lol:
What you should do is write a piece using small words about steam engines of the 1800’s and see if it appears on the sports page.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

jward wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:17 pm
zimfan1 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:44 pm
jward wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:26 pm

In this case Jongwe chucked it away, apparently deciding to celebrate his 50 with a six and instead putting the ball down long-on's throat. But until then a fine innings.
Where can I read your full reports John?
Probably nowhere, I'm afraid! ZC releases them to the local press only, to use in their papers if they want, but on the odd occasion when I do see a local paper I haven't found any of my articles for years. But I used to get paid for writing them. I should still do, but I am still waiting for payment - surprise, ZC have no money! In Zimbabwe today you have to take what you can get.
That's a real shame. I used to enjoy your match reports immensely during the brief period where ZC put them up on their website.

You wouldn't know it, but way back in your cricinfo days (Zimbabwe Cricket Newsletter? I can't quite remember the name) you were very instrumental in kindling my passion for Zimbabwe cricket and where even so kind to answer the e-mails of a probably pretty clueless cricket-newbie from an unlikely place like Germany.

Cheers,
foreignfield

jward
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jward »

Googly wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:52 am
Well then you’ll find that these reporters and their ilk will just be taking out some of the bigger words of two syllables or more that they don’t understand and passing it off as their own. I’ve often wondered how they’ve managed to write more than 4 sentences about actual cricket :lol:
What you should do is write a piece using small words about steam engines of the 1800’s and see if it appears on the sports page.
My reports have to go through the ZC censor first!

jward

Post by jward »

foreignfield wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:55 pm
jward wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:17 pm
zimfan1 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:44 pm

Where can I read your full reports John?
Probably nowhere, I'm afraid! ZC releases them to the local press only, to use in their papers if they want, but on the odd occasion when I do see a local paper I haven't found any of my articles for years. But I used to get paid for writing them. I should still do, but I am still waiting for payment - surprise, ZC have no money! In Zimbabwe today you have to take what you can get.
That's a real shame. I used to enjoy your match reports immensely during the brief period where ZC put them up on their website.

You wouldn't know it, but way back in your cricinfo days (Zimbabwe Cricket Newsletter? I can't quite remember the name) you were very instrumental in kindling my passion for Zimbabwe cricket and where even so kind to answer the e-mails of a probably pretty clueless cricket-newbie from an unlikely place like Germany.

Cheers,
foreignfield
Thanks very much, I'm very glad to know that. It was ZCO (Zimbabwe Cricket Online).

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I honestly think ZCF should crowdfund the return of John's Zimbabwe Cricket Online. Those were the glory days.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

eugene wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:54 am
I honestly think ZCF should crowdfund the return of John's Zimbabwe Cricket Online. Those were the glory days.
Work out the numbers, I’d happily pay for thorough match reports
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

jaybro wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:08 am
eugene wrote:
Work out the numbers, I’d happily pay for thorough match reports
As would I. I loved the bio’s of all the lesser known FC players like Glen Goosen, Campbell Macmillan etc. I honestly still read them from time to time just to fall back into an era where ZC has so much budding talent coming through, with big ambitions to playing ODI and test cricket.
They were asked some really good questions and they gave great answers back. I’m sure I read a Doug Higgins bio once and he spoke about how he got the CFX academy going with Houghton? Those kind of insights would have been invariably lost to the common reader outside of ZC.

Googly

Post by Googly »

jward wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:35 pm
Googly wrote:
That means they don’t trust their Herald and other paid reporters either :lol: which is real paranoia and they should be rightfully offended, I would be if I’d sucked dick that long and still wasn’t trusted. :lol:
Those guys would report an Alien XI playing Zim in a T20 next week if they thought it would curry favor.
I wonder what they fear, it’s hard to bullshit a cricket match outcome :lol:

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

eugene wrote:
YES

jward

Post by jward »

Googly wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:38 am
jward wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:35 pm
Googly wrote:
That means they don’t trust their Herald and other paid reporters either :lol: which is real paranoia and they should be rightfully offended, I would be if I’d sucked dick that long and still wasn’t trusted. :lol:
Those guys would report an Alien XI playing Zim in a T20 next week if they thought it would curry favor.
I wonder what they fear, it’s hard to bullshit a cricket match outcome :lol:
It's me they don't trust! They are afraid I will be critical of - well, anything or anybody - so most of the critical comments I make are removed before being released! When I complain I am told that, because it is released by ZC, "We cannot criticize ourselves." Or admit to mistakes.