England won`t play Zim as long as Chingoka is still in charg

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

England won`t play Zim as long as Chingoka is still in charg

Post by maehara »

http://www.zimbabwemetro.com/news/engla ... e-chairman
Sports Minister Hugh Robertson has reiterated England’s stance on playing against Zimbabwe, stating that until Zimbabwe Cricket head Peter Chingoka is ousted the two teams will not compete.

Zimbabwe cricket is on the rise, having endured a period in exile the team has of late competed against a number of Test playing nations, with the Southern African nation also aiming to regain their Test status.

Many former players have returned to the Zimbabwean ranks, both on and off the field, while former Surrey coach Alan Butcher was appointed the team’s head coach earlier in the year. But despite the changes in the country’s cricketing structures the English’s stance has not changed because Peter Chingoka remains at the helm.

“The problem is simple,” Robertson said. “Zimbabwe cricket is headed by a man who sits on the EU banned list and he sits on that list for good reasons. As long as he is in charge of Zimbabwe cricket it is extremely difficult for them to be fully integrated into the global cricketing community. Officially government advice remains we discourage teams from playing. England will be discouraged from travelling over there and it is difficult for them to come here while their chairman remains on the banned list."

“It is very difficult to welcome a team here if the chairman cannot get a visa to enter this country,” he added.

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: England won`t play Zim as long as Chingoka is still in c

Post by Train Driver »

Just this moment been reading an article in todays Daily Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricke ... ister.html

nochp

Post by nochp »

sorry guys im not pulling a race card here but to be honest the english are being racists.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

Worth pointing out that Robertson is the English sports minister, not the UK's - sport is devolved, so as far as Scotland are concerned it's the opinion of the Scottish Government in Edinburgh that counts.

Also, the quote is that England would be "discouraged" from touring - that holds no weight with the ICC. It would need to be a formal ban if England wanted to avoid ICC fines.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I don't think Australia, New Zealand, or England will want anything to do with Zimbabwe until Mugabe is gone. Having him as patron of Zimbabwe Cricket is rather embarrasing to say the least.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Boundary

Post by Boundary »

But we faced similar resistance to our initial Test status from England didn't we? I've a feeling if it's not Chingoka it'll be something else. Sport in Zim is now officially under Coltart - doesn't that count?

andybligz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by andybligz »

such crap we need to play england to improve

Boundary

Post by Boundary »

... and England are coached by a Zimbo. We now want him back :lol: :lol: :lol:

eugene

Post by eugene »

Boundary wrote:But we faced similar resistance to our initial Test status from England didn't we? I've a feeling if it's not Chingoka it'll be something else. Sport in Zim is now officially under Coltart - doesn't that count?

Zimbabwe is still under Mugabe, that counts more.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

clikcspeed
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by clikcspeed »

Boundary wrote:... and England are coached by a Zimbo. We now want him back :lol: :lol: :lol:
LMAO LMFAO!!! But seriously, it would be great to have Andy back. And yes we do need to have England, Oz and NZ (even SA - they look like they are playing the silent card, given that we are always playing in SA and not the other way round) touring the couyntry - I think that is the only piece of the puzzle missing towards a full recovery. Right now, I must say (and anyone too) that ZC have done a GREAT job improving the structures of local cricket, and now the local clubs have prominent names in the game (Allan Donald etc etc), even the new field @ Vic Falls, if it surfaces, that will be a HUGE +.

As for Chingoka, right or wrong (believe me, I am the last person who should be saying this) I think he should take a bow and do what is best for the country - cricket wise. If he is the 'sole' reason why these countries won't tour then he should swallow his pride - for the greater good. Otherwise they (Eng, Oz, NZ) should bring up the reasons why they are not touring - politics aside, in June earlier this year, NZ said they are not touring for health reasons, and seriously that is not ON! India and Sri Lanka came and no one died! Shouldn't the ICC do a follow up on such things?