National Premier League 2020 ( NPL )

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: National Premier League 2020 ( NPL )

Post by Googly »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Ballance

Averaged 37 in tests, high 40's in List A, but didn't do as well in ODI's, but absolutely zero doubt about his caliber. Proper proper world class player, these guys don't grow on trees.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Not that we need to throw yet another Captain's hat into the mix, but he's a damned good captain.
He's partly home grown as well, clearly the powers that be feel that's a necessary box to tick.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

zimfan1 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:33 pm
Although on the bright side. Ben Curran wants to play in the Logan Cup, I think decisions over squads are being made in the next couple of days. No fixtures though.
What’s Ben’s preferred batting position? And I can’t remember if he is a wicket keeper or not. I hope ZC see the opportunity presenting itself here

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

zimfan1 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:43 pm
jaybro wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:38 pm
zimfan1 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:19 pm
Hmmmm, I think we may find that a couple of players call it a day over the next couple of months.
I assume you’re talking about current national team players, not the old fellas in the boozer league?
Not in the current squad but not far from it. Can't say any more at the moment. Contracts are about to be awarded which will make decisions for a number of players over their futures.

Franchise slots being allocated this week I think,
I got a feeling PJ might be one of those players. Don’t know anything but I don’t really think he needs ZC so if he doesn’t have a contract he might not see the point anymore. He will be 30 next year. I hope he sticks around and fights for his place

Imagine Chamu sneaking in a national contract before being dropped in a few months smh

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

zimfan1 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:33 pm
Although on the bright side. Ben Curran wants to play in the Logan Cup, I think decisions over squads are being made in the next couple of days. No fixtures though.
Is that true :) if it will happened that so good and also want some county players to play in logan cup. Finger crossed 🤞

Googly

Post by Googly »

BC is an opening batsman, and a decent one . Nice technique, solid defence, leaves well, hits the ball hard etc, done the hard yards in English conditions and knows his game.
Also an absolute gun fielder.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Last flight out of UK is tomorrow. They go into lockdowm and no international flights. If he's not here by now he won't be coming.

Googly

Post by Googly »

If ZC had plans for a couple of overseas to spice things up and strengthen the league I don't think we'll be seeing any English players this season. I stand to be corrected, but I'm fairly sure international flights are about to be put on hold.

Its a pity because its good for the local lads to measure themselves.

Googly

Post by Googly »

ZC are missing a trick here. Some reciprocity with England opens a lot of doors. The strength of your local professional game has a direct impact on your national players. Plus you soon see who copes at the higher level.
That covid really messed things up, it would have been great to watch Derbyshire and Durham. These county sides are seriously professional and there are some damned good players on display. Perhaps they'll think about another pre-season in Feb/March again?

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Big money to Ballance to resume his international career with Zim in 2021.
That's the play.
He's a guy who's test quality who will never play for England again so is in that zone if someone that should be playing international
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*