Ryan Butterworth comeback discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Ryan Butterworth comeback discussion

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

This thread is for all news and discussion about Ryan Butterworth's hotly anticipated First Class comeback.

As we all know, he is arguably Zimbabwe's best ever cricketer to have played at domestic level and never be selected for internationals.
He starred in the Stanbic T20 around 2010-11 and ended up being selected in the touring squad to Bangladesh but unfortunately wasn't selected beyond the tour match. Then he was lost to the game.

At age 39, let's hope he can successfully dominate the domestic circuit one last time. He would be the oldest returnee since 2010, when Grant Flower made a domestic (and international) comeback.

Butterworth got off to a good start in the friendlies league this week, smashing an unbeaten 29 off 26. Let's see if the Mashonaland Eagles selectors take notice, or the Southern Rocks draft him in to bolster an inexperienced lineup.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Ryan Butterworth comeback discussion

Post by eugene »

I was trying to think of who else could be in the discussion for best player to never play international cricket. Steve Trenchard was the other name I thought of. Given at times it seems almost everybody who can hold a bat has played at least a random T20 or randomly opened the batting in a Test for Zimbabwe it is remarkable Butterworth never get a shot.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

eugene wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:44 pm
I was trying to think of who else could be in the discussion for best player to never play international cricket. Steve Trenchard was the other name I thought of. Given at times it seems almost everybody who can hold a bat has played at least a random T20 or randomly opened the batting in a Test for Zimbabwe it is remarkable Butterworth never get a shot.
He wouldve, but didnt stick it out.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

He wasn’t good enough, simple really.
I watched Butterworth in league cricket a few summers ago and he was a solid club batter, nothing more.
Alan Butcher selected him for that tour on the back of his superb T20 stats; he never watched him play. When he was over in Bangladesh and batting Butcher said he realised very quickly that he simply wasn’t of international class. This is all in his book if you want to read it/find it.

Stop talking about has beens and start talking about the will bees, like Evans, Muchwete (spelling) and Odendaal. I’m talking purely FC here. We need youngsters coming through and playing this FC season for the sake of quality and competitiveness

jward

Post by jward »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:15 pm
eugene wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:44 pm
He wouldve, but didnt stick it out.
He wanted to play for Eagles in 2011/12, when Kevin Curran was coach, but had a bust-up with him, details of which he said he would tell me, but never did. That was when and how his career (or previous career) ended. I tried to fix him up with other provinces, but without success.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Alan Butcher in his book said that Butterworth was clearly out of his depth when he went on the Bangladesh tour and said that Butterworth himself asked not to play as he knew he was not up to it.

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

If he is now better than Chari or Chibhabhbh
Give him a chance ... hahaha
a .