3rd T20 | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Rawalpindi

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: 3rd T20 | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Rawalpindi

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Zimco wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:23 pm
If you don't mind me asking Zimdoggy, what were your reasons for leaving aus/go to Eastern europe?
My girlfriend lives here. Thought I'd give it a crack.
And to be honest even if we broke up, the talent here is unreal. Even a simple bus ride or trip to the corner store becomes a very pleasant experience. Where I am is known as a model factory.
Tall blondes with huge juggs is me all over.

Also I really really do not like sun and heat. Always been that way. Australia is perfect for sun and beach but I've had too much of it. I like snow and cold.

I'm also ethnically half Russian so I think it's in the blood.

Once the Corona passes the short term plan would be to spend half the time in both countries (make no mistake, apart from the reason I listed Australia is 100% better) and luckily for me I can now work completely remotely so could work anywhere as long as I keep my American customers happy.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Just because you were a good player doesn’t mean you have a good understanding of the game. Very few Zimbabwe captains even show the slightest bit of innovation and thinking outside the box. Elton didn’t when he was captain. I don’t think he will be a good coach. They should get him an admin job .

Tino Mawoyo is an example of somebody you can tell has a good understanding of the game and I think would make a good coach even though he wasn’t one of our best players

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC2 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:18 am
Just because you were a good player doesn’t mean you have a good understanding of the game. Very few Zimbabwe captains even show the slightest bit of innovation and thinking outside the box. Elton didn’t when he was captain. I don’t think he will be a good coach. They should get him an admin job .

Tino Mawoyo is an example of somebody you can tell has a good understanding of the game and I think would make a good coach even though he wasn’t one of our best players
Yeah I was thinking Tino Mawoyo as well.
Tino wasn't really that naturally gifted either yet still carved out a career he shouldn't have had. Similar to Gary Brent in a way who did well despite being a 115 km/he bowler.
That's who you want as a coach.
Players who didn't have the physical gifts but made up for it between the ears.

Another factor is Elton might be a bit too close to the players to pop up as a coach anytime soon.

In the nineties there was a good NRL player who was forced to retire in his mid twenties because of neck injuries. He popped up 3 or so years later as his teams head coach but was a massive failure. He went on for better honours later in his career and is still coaching, but his initial failure was widely publicised as he was too close to the players who saw him as one of them as they played with him a few years earlier for a few years. He didn't have the respect in a coaching capacity.

Imagine Craig getting tips from him who is younger and not as good a player as he is?

Or BT who was in all his age group sides and probably spent years giving him advice and tips?

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:59 am
Zimco wrote:
If you don't mind me asking Zimdoggy, what were your reasons for leaving aus/go to Eastern europe?
And to be honest even if we broke up, the talent here is unreal. Even a simple bus ride or trip to the corner store becomes a very pleasant experience. Where I am is known as a model factory.

Also I really really do not like sun and heat. Always been that way. Australia is perfect for sun and beach but I've had too much of it. I like snow and cold.

Once the Corona passes the short term plan would be to spend half the time in both countries (make no mistake, apart from the reason I listed Australia is 100% better) and luckily for me I can now work completely remotely so could work anywhere as long as I keep my American customers happy.
Good for you zimdoggy 😀 yeah as good as Australia is it's not really working out for me, I think I'm gonna give the UK a try. Also Perth is limiting for someone In their 20s.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Zimco wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:09 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Zimco wrote:

Good for you zimdoggy 😀 yeah as good as Australia is it's not really working out for me, I think I'm gonna give the UK a try. Also Perth is limiting for someone In their 20s.
Where are you from and how come it's not working out?
I do foresee me return to Oz at some point. Could be next year. Could be a couple of years etc

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

kudet wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:43 pm
sloandog wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:27 pm
Mawoyo said on commentary that Elton is looking to get into coaching, to give back to ZC.
Essentially what he's saying is they're going to award him with a position in the club, much like Hondo, Matskinyeri, Masakadza and Utseya.
Annoys me immensely because there's a clear bias towards these guys who, in an ideal world, would struggle to be an assistant coach of a county second XI. I understand we are not blessed with healthy finances and can not lay out what England and other countries pay, but if you were an average international player yourself, how can we expect these guys to bring on the next generation.

The little Birds are saying that he is the new goats head coach. question is does he even have an ECB level 3 or its just a Jobs for the boys scenario. We will see.
That would make sense, ZC want Shephard to go and coach the Southern Rocks as that is where he is from. ZC offered Brent the Southern Rocks job for very little money and Brent still has kids in school in Harare so he turned it down.

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:18 pm
Zimco wrote:
ZIMDOGGY wrote:

I do foresee me return to Oz at some point. Could be next year. Could be a couple of years etc
From Zim originally, lived in aus for 10 years or so. Low to Mid 20s in age. No kids/girlfriend. Job wise, I am doing food delivery apping atm.

I may go play club cricket in UK and live there for 2 years on youth mobility visa. Better opportunities degree wise in uk I think, plus Perth is quite isolated). I could go teach in Asia though as I used to teach English online.

Bloody Corona has really screwed me. I was meant to be playing for a club in UK this year but fell through. I guess thats why I'm also doing delivery atm. I have played a season in UK in 2019 when visiting and averaged 60 (admittedly not the highest league) so it's whether I give it another go.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Zimco wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:43 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:18 pm
Zimco wrote:

From Zim originally, lived in aus for 10 years or so. Low to Mid 20s in age. No kids/girlfriend. Job wise, I am doing food delivery apping atm.

I may go play club cricket in UK and live there for 2 years on youth mobility visa. Better opportunities degree wise in uk I think, plus Perth is quite isolated). I could go teach in Asia though as I used to teach English online.

Bloody Corona has really screwed me. I was meant to be playing for a club in UK this year but fell through. I guess thats why I'm also doing delivery atm. I have played a season in UK in 2019 when visiting and averaged 60 (admittedly not the highest league) so it's whether I give it another go.
Try the East coast before doing that though. While other exciting world in Sydney, Melbs and the Gold Coast among others.
Perth is pretty isolated. Although it's good for Africa/Euro/Bali flights.
Prestigious universities there too. Sydney Uni is next to Newtown and the City and UNSW is sort of near the beach.
Uk is a corona mess atm.

England is like Australia, just colder, rainier and older and more historic. Beware London though it's the only place in the world I've ever felt unsafe after dark.

If you want to teach English do it remotely. A lot of companies teach chinks via laptop and that was before the corona thing went down.
Go to the Gold Coast or Byron bay and work online is my advice.

Moving overseas can be tough at times.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Again just to clarify I'm not saying Elton will become a good/ great coach, I'm just saying he has as much right to get into coaching as any other ex-player in Zimbabwe, and he has the potential to be as good as any other coach in Zimbabwe.

I agree he shouldn't be moved straight into a franchise head role, but again that's more of a reflection of the financial issues of ZC that there probably aren't any better options
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:20 pm
Zimco wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:43 pm

Try the East coast before doing that though. While other exciting world in Sydney, Melbs and the Gold Coast among others.
Perth is pretty isolated. Although it's good for Africa/Euro/Bali flights.
Prestigious universities there too. Sydney Uni is next to Newtown and the City and UNSW is sort of near the beach.
Uk is a corona mess atm.

England is like Australia, just colder, rainier and older and more historic. Beware London though it's the only place in the world I've ever felt unsafe after dark.

If you want to teach English do it remotely. A lot of companies teach chinks via laptop and that was before the corona thing went down.
Go to the Gold Coast or Byron bay and work online is my advice.

Moving overseas can be tough at times.
I would agree here. Don't be so hasty for the UK, especially right now. You still have time to go on the YMS visa, but now might not be the best time to be looking at it. Definitely consider your options on the east coast. Teaching English would be great for you especially if you did it remotely with places like Japan, Taiwan,Thailand, Korea as the time zone would be favourable.

England is a bit of a shit show at the moment and you may end up finding it much harder to get a job there than here because of the COVID situation and all the lockdowns they are constantly in.
jaybro wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:21 am
and he has the potential to be as good as any other coach in Zimbabwe.

Based on that reasoning, any person who plays cricket in Zim has the potential to be a good coach.

Elton should earn his role. He needs to learn the trade and gain his qualifications. All the good coaches do it. No coach should be allowed to walk in to a top role from the start. Even if money is an issue, then ZC needs to stop handing roles to all their friends willy nilly and invest in in developing a proper coaching structure and development programme, as well as investing in quality coaches who can serve as mentors for these guys.