Logan Cup 2020 - 21 : Discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Logan Cup 2020 - 21 : Discussion

Post by jaybro »

TapsC2 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:19 pm
In fact if you honestly ask. Is there a game that Jarvis won for us single handedly since he came back like the way Blessing did a few weeks ago? Or how many games has he dominated like the way BT has since he came back? But suddenly ZC are the bad people in the whole situation
Leaving the UAE series aside KJ hasn't really been that great in ODIs since his return, one good game v Bangladesh and a few decent games against Sri Lanka, South Africa & Ireland. His best performances have come in the Tests against Bangladesh.

Sad to see him go if it is true, but purely numbers wise, it isn't the end of the world. The key is to get Evans in to replace him, along with the Blessing, Ngarava & Mumba (despite his struggles in Pakistan) there are some green shoots coming through bowler wise.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

TapsC2 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:14 pm
Sometimes when I see some of these players walk out I wonder if they would have been able to deal with a tough, competitive environment with real racial quotas and where results actually matter like South Africa. Too many people just decide to walk out when the going gets tough yet as fans we have had to endure so many disappointments. Which other full member has a situation like that besides us? Cremer can even plot a comeback despite walking out on us for 2 years. The mentality is so weak
There have only been about 5 white players in our entire franchise system for the last ten years, on top of that you're talking about racial quotas? It would be disingenuous of anyone to suggest that there are no quotas because 4 play for the national side at any one time when they're the only ones in the entire country that feel there's a career opportunity in cricket.
I agree that some of our guys need to toughen up on field but you most certainly can't point fingers if they have better career opportunities elsewhere. You can barely scratch a living in cricket here, and that's if you're on a central contract. The FC guys will be selling scratch cards at the traffic lights when they stop playing. Their lot in life is grim. They're going to be lucky to get in 2 months of cricket this season and I'm prepared to bet at least one third of the games will be rained off. Where's their money coming from for the remaining 10 months of the year?
The real problem is that the going only gets tough for the players, you don't see the hierarchy having to tighten their belts, in fact the opposite, they have to buy bigger ones to make allowance for their expanding stomachs.
Taps, in SA the white guys also vote with their feet, they're no different. Its interesting- its as if people want them to stay in SA and not get picked, not only for the national side, but also for franchise sides. Only then would they be really able to say "we've finally stuck it to these MF's". As a white cricketer you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you've got options and you exercise them you're an unpatriotic racist.That bird has flown here, but they're still getting mileage out of it in SA.
Returning Kolpak players and Covid may stave off their inevitable decline. I'm not sure results matter much in SA. Their FC standard has plummeted, but as long as their national side competes the facade remains intact....we all know how that ends....no wait, maybe this time it will be different! :lol:

When Cremer left to be a house husband it must surely tell us all we need to know about the lot of the cricketers here. And presumably he was on a much better wicket than most. If Cremer can change nappies for 4 years then walk back into the national side its not a weak mentality it would be a comeback of note :lol: but it does tell us that in his long absence we haven't produced a leg spinner, how sad is that! That's a proper blame game, blame Cremer for opting out but give our broken system a pass for not producing one single new player.
Look at the latest state of play here- we're presumably a week from kick off and there are no team lists, they're going to juggle players to even up the sides because nobody lives in Mutare, Masvingo or KweKwe, there's no schedule of games, the format is unknown, is there a bio bubble or isnt there, will the 4 day format be completed within a month, will the List A format be completed in the following month in a Bulawayo bubble as is rumoured? They're hoping to complete the full schedule of 4 day games in the height of the monsoon season :lol: Unless we have the drought of the century we won't get through half. Let's see how long the cricketers stay in a Bubonic Bed Sit during a rainy week when the girlfriend is messaging for a quickie in the car park. You need just one guy swaggering back into the Motel with a smug look on his face and that place will empty faster than if you threw a black mamba in there.
Two months of cricket on a subsistence wage locked in a Bubonic Motel would be the cheapest season ever devised by ZC :lol: Presumably the hierarchy will make bubble bursting appearances in their Mercedes? I see 2021 models on the horizon. Covid is a blessing for the unscrupulous.

It looks like the Vigne Cup may start this weekend, presumably the virus knows not to attack mere club cricketers :lol:
If Taun Harrison gets a franchise gig but isn't good enough to make a club side you have to figure things aren't too kosher.
I doubt Jarvis will opt out, but if he does that's his prerogative. One has contractual obligations, but not moral ones to a system that treats people poorly. I'm not saying Jarvis was treated badly, he was one of the few that had a good run of it. ZC had to take a gamble to qualify and came up short, its life. They're going to have to take a few more when Ervine, BT, Raza and Williams retire because our system is not producing international caliber players.
Madhevere has had a great start, but he's an anomaly and didn't learn his trade here and the other teams will have some information on him now. They'll be hoping Myers is of similar caliber and that Muyeye comes back with his tail between his legs. They may even have to extend a pardon to Musakanda. Its endless crisis mismanagement. There has not been one public announcement by ZC- either they're that disorganised that they don't know themselves or that arrogant that they don't care, either answer is not good.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

The only way we survive is by importing players. The bio-bubble is too costly for ZC . They are surely trying to find a way out of this because we know them. I think their best bet is to start with the 1 day tournament and try knock it over by Christmas then negotiate with the ICC. The Logan cup bio-bubble will kill their budget. It’s going to be raining half of next month anyway

And you guys are right. In the end one has to look after themselves. If there are better opportunities elsewhere then take them but just don’t make excuses.

Googly

Post by Googly »

A bio bubble is the cheapest option by far.
You negotiate $200 a day for the whole team in a bed sit that a dog would die in, $10 a day for Travel and Subsistence and the nightmare of managing cricket is over in two months and they can go back to enjoying life. Do the maths.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

With Cremer,
He’s starting to get a bit sentimental it seems but you can’t just give up international test cricket for two years and come back equal or better. It’s just doesn’t happen. Leg spinner is a fine art and you need to be well tuned like a guitar and oiled.

When Cremer got belted in that Arab tournament a few months back that was no surprise to me.

That’s what I hate about zim cricket when I read about all these players coming and going.

So much momentum has been killed in stop start retirements and unretirements. Bligs, Carlisle were on their way to doing good things and came back after all their built up momentum stopped and they were useless.

Cremer the same.

All these young players that decide to take a three year break after the under 19s to go to uni (not part time or online like other sports) aren’t a lot better.

Whatever made you good enough to dominate under 19s level will be hard to sustain by playing club cricket or uni cricket.

The big obvious exception is the guys that go off to play county or first class cricket elsewhere and come back as good or better. But any idiot can figure out why that is.

My ultimate message to players is if you walk out you’re doing no one any favours to your cricketing career and to think very long and hard.
The uni guys especially can have it all if they play it better.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

Evans needs to prove himself. He didn't take too many wickets in NPL, but he didn't go for much, which means they were just trying to survive him.
IF we get some cricket over the next couple of months they'll soon see how good he is compared to our incumbents. As our convenor said on social media- he'll have to be twice as good to stand a chance of replacing anyone. :lol: He's a really talented bloke, he'd probably stand more chance if he took to bowling leggies :lol:
I wonder if he knows he needs to run in and bowl 135 plus or he's going nowhere.
In Ngarava and Muzarabani we may have the two tallest openers in World cricket, its such a pity they can't generate more pace, they'd be lethal.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I'd like to see Wes open in FC as well, will be interesting.
I'm not sure which team he's in, would be good to see him open with Curran, Welch, or Musakanda then the comparisons would be dead easy, even for our geniuses.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Jesus I can’t believe we might be seeing (FINALLY!) some of the former Under 19’s getting involved. Welch, Evans, Harrison, Ben Curran, Odendaal, Frost Wez etc. We’ve been waiting for years to see these kinda’ lads involved.
Really
Hope the season gets underway and we can see some of these boys play.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I'm looking forward to seeing Myers, if he plays. I wonder how nearly a year of not picking up a cricket bat is going to affect him. If a 19 year old can bang some runs after that kind of a lay-off then you know the standard is not too sharp.

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

Only 1 week left no news about players who involves which team 🤷‍♂️