State of SA

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: State of SA

Post by Googly »

The irony of being in a bio secure bubble and being tested positive for a deadly disease when you don't even know you're supposed to be sick. :lol:
They should all mingle and have a Covid Positive ODI series.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Good players can have a slow start, here's an interesting analysis of Amla's career.
https://www.sportskeeda.com/cricket/a-s ... odi-career
Imagine they had ignored him.
He probably got a couple of last chances because they were desperate for a person of colour to come good. Thank God because he's given us countless hours of viewing pleasure and an absolute quality bloke.
In fact he did have a career saving 140, without that he'd have been Markram'd.
The Indians stuck Tendulkar in at an early age and he didn't do much at the beginning. They initially preferred Privthi Shaw over Gill. Shaw is some talent, but Gill is better.
Mumbai influence over a player from a lesser region.

There are politics in practically all new selections in any team. When you get your chance you have to fire or the selectors and influential guys behind the scenes that support you have to now start putting their lipstick on.

Markram is a favorite of Smith's and Boucher and they don't want those two to exert undue influence.
SA cricket is that upside down that he could even get overlooked at Titans. Or they'll want him to be the senior player there and bring on batters to replace him sooner rather than later. Being a stop gap until they find a batter from the townships that's half as good probably doesn't enthrall him either. I don't think a solid FC career earning Rand is on his radar. I don't know whether he's got a gig as an overseas in County? If the rumour is true about NZ he would have to go there and start his residency fairly soon.

SA have a grace period where ICC will permit a long long slide, whereas ZC don't have much further to go. At the end of 2023 our team is going to resemble a second rate club side. There are no new batters domestically that will fill the void, with the possible exception of Myers. At that point they will probably have to look for someone being moderately successful overseas or hope that Muyeye returns and hasn't forgotten how to play. It will be crisis management again.
If I were ZC I'd be onto Markram, he's a world class player, and a captain of note. Another Goodwin or better in waiting.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

200% ZC could buy their way to international competitiveness

Buy two openers, a spinner and a fast bowler and we push top 5.

For me I would throw money at ballance, Markram and Welch and that Melton kid
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: First Ballance and now Markram :lol: :lol:

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sloandog wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:03 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: First Ballance and now Markram :lol: :lol:
You make it sound like it’s impossible. It’s a gig and international cricket at that.

Literally 300k USD outlay and you have them both.

Markrams international career is all but over and he sounds like he’s actively looking elsewhere and Ballances family is in Zim.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Why's his career over..?

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

He's already scored three hundreds in SA's FC competition this year alone. If he doesn't manage to get into the test side then I agree, he should leave.
He IS a ridiculous talent and he's one that South Africa can't afford to lose. Muelder won't be around for long I've just heard. I have a mate who went to St Stithians with him and said he's eying up playing NZ. If he leaves then that's really not good news. He's an allrounder who must be looked after.
Van Tonder, Brieskee, Gaus and Coetzee are all international quality but I have a really bad feeling that they won't get anywhere near a South African team because of this ridiculous quota policy.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Why is it always they want to go to England and NZ?
My patriotic Aussie side is hurting.

NZ surprises me because as beautiful as NZ is, the working living conditions don’t come close to Oz.
It’s why half a million kiwis live in Australia.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

jward

Post by jward »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:47 am

Believe me, ZC has no money to throw! They can't even pay their own employees; they are two months behind with the salaries once again!

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

jward wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:23 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:47 am

Believe me, ZC has no money to throw! They can't even pay their own employees; they are two months behind with the salaries once again!
How are ZC out of money again? Haven't all the loans been paid off?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes