State of SA

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
slcricfan1

Re: State of SA

Post by slcricfan1 »

Googly wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:29 pm
Phil Salt is a big question mark for me. He couldn't get signed at Sussex, swapped clubs and 6 months later was in the England squad.
He's a really talented ball striker, but there's better guys out there.
Like who? I was very impressed with Salt.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

slcricfan1 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:38 pm
Googly wrote:
Phil Salt is a big question mark for me. He couldn't get signed at Sussex, swapped clubs and 6 months later was in the England squad.
Tom Banton, Will Jacks, Jamie Smith

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

sloandog wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:53 am
slcricfan1 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:38 pm
Googly wrote:
Tom Banton, Will Jacks, Jamie Smith
The stats don't show too much but then again they're just numbers. I`ll take your word for it

Googly

Post by Googly »

I think Jamie Smith will take another few years to develop fully, but he's the most technically gifted of them. Alex Stewart said he's the biggest talent to ever come through the Surrey system. That's some statement! Banton for sure.
Will Jacks has already captained Surrey and he's only 24, but he's a small step behind Banton, who's really good.
Smeed is very good.
Yorkshire have just signed Bean, 20 years old, on the back of a 400 runs innings in Two's. That was red ball, but this guy is something else.
There's a new generation of English youngsters coming through that play with real freedom and sublime skills.
Forget that idea that maybe English batters lack a bit of flare, they've got a production line of jaw droppingly good players.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Tom Kholer Kadmore is another

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya he's bloody awesome as well

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:28 pm
Ya he's bloody awesome as well
I can't believe he's not near and England team

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:44 am
eugene wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:45 pm
Cricket is going the way of most other sports, a couple of smallish international windows each year with most of the season taken up with T20 Leagues. It's not something that I like at all, but it is clear this is what's happening. CSA going bankrupt would mean the national side could potentially disappear anyway so they don't really have a choice. You have to do what keeps you in business ultimately - and that means hosting India, or a T20 League.

I imagine the sheer number of T20 Leagues will decrease in time, particularly the middle eastern ones, but I could also see the IPL become a six-month long tournament - which still isn't that long given football leagues last 9-10 months.
Football is different. People have affinity to football clubs and football clubs have been around for centuries. There is history in football. Many get born into supporting that club regardless of where they live. There is also story and drama in football. Certain players will never join a certain club and and the it's not just the season you look at. It's the off season as well. There were 75k last night at the MCG to watch Man Utd play Melbourne Victory, not taking into account the the tv viewers, the attendees at the opening training session, the Away kit release launch in FED square today. You wouldn't get any of that if Pune came out here to play Delhi in an exhibition game.

Cricket on a domestic level is not really followed by people outside of those countries to the same level. IPL gets traction within India and from Indian expats, but other than that, no one really gives a shit. Cricket was built on nation against nation. No one outside of India is having an affinity to support Chennai or Mumbai.
I agree with everything you have written, unfortunately the broadcasters and administrators don't realise this. As long as sub-continent fans are watching these T20 Leagues nobody else matters. The huge population of India makes audiences elsewhere irrelevant. As someone else said, the future of cricket isn't even domestic leagues around the world, it is essentially the IPL and nothing else. One day it will run for 7-8 months. All this means that year after year I find myself watching less and less cricket. It used to be the sport I watched more than anything, now it lags well behind rugby, football, basketball, baseball, etc.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I doubt if Indian public has any interest in the South African league, if the franchises are banking on indian audience then they are taking quite a big risk.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The IPL bosses must have big clout with BCCI, maybe there's a plan to allow a couple of big Indian players to play?
I doubt it, its just a thought.
There wouldn't be many spots because I'd think you need stars from other countries to get a truly world-wide audience.
If there's only 6 teams, presumably that's 12 overseas. It would make a big difference to overseas interest if there were 3 overseas per team. That still leaves 48 places for South Africans. There aren't 48 international calibre T20 players in SA, that's for certain, and that's the danger, if the overseas audience sees that it's not a great standard of cricket they'll lose interest real fast.
My point is that I'm sure we will see something slightly different, if these IPL guys are involved with their money and experience I'm sure they are fairly certain they have a trick up their sleeves.