State of SA

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: State of SA

Post by TapsC2 »

I get all the arguments. I have a question though. How many sports have a system where country comes first above domestic/individual tournaments? I love the current formats but we might be stuck in the past. It's also very difficult to stop the future.

The introduction of T20 cricket has complicated everything and I'm pretty sure in the next 2 decades that's mainly what will be played all year domestically. All the young players like Wes will have played maybe 300 T20 Internationals and maybe 100 ODIs by the time he retires. The cricket world is changing.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:20 am

For the short term, the ICC needs to tell all the boads that only the IPL will get a window - that too only 8 weeks and no longer. And the remaining boards can figure out what they want to do regarding their franchise leagues.

This fixes nothing and only emboldens the BCCI, leaving the rest to scour for very little.

The BCCI needs to start coming to the party and quickly. They are currently treating cricket as their play thing and taking all for themselves. There is no reason why the IPL should supercede others.

The ICC needs to sit down with all the boards and start making hard decisions. The longer you leave everyone to do their own thing, you're only going to have more teams pulling out of ODIs and eventually test series

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Again, people asking the ICC to do things and 'The ICC needs to...', 'the ICC should...'

The ICC has been completely gutted in both size, power and budget over the past decade. The BCCI runs cricket, and the ICC has been absolved of most of its power and ability.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:33 am
Again, people asking the ICC to do things and 'The ICC needs to...', 'the ICC should...'

The ICC has been completely gutted in both size, power and budget over the past decade. The BCCI runs cricket, and the ICC has been absolved of most of its power and ability.
One thing to ask the ICC to do something, another thing saying what they need to do.

I have no faith in the ICC to do the right things, but the reality is that they are the runners of the game and need to grow a pair and start doing the right things.

If only we had another person with Kerry Packers cajones to shake things up.

Googly

Post by Googly »

In theory it's easy to rein in BCCI, the other countries merely boycott them. Practically, its impossible because individuals and countries are greedy and anything to do with playing in India or against India is a big payday.

This English 100 ball really degrades the RL 50 over comp as it's run concurrently and most counties are minus their better players. The smaller counties with no squad depth will be particularly hard hit. It's a bizarre format and comes straight after their Vitality Blast and is basically a bonus for the players that are picked (8 teams instead of 18). Plus the overseas component guarantees TV sales to other countries. I think its going to make a lot of money, but I don't get the hype. I mean it's back to back with The Blast!
Is it because there are stronger teams, a shorter comp, or a different format, or a combination of the above? Where does it end? Now they're trying T10 and soon it will be motorbike or camel cricket or the new batsman has to enter the stadium on a parachute and if he lands on the square it's a bonus 20 runs or some equally bizarre shit. Or they release a tiger out of an underground pit halfway through and the batsmen have to kill it with a sharpened titanium stump or die in the attempt.

CSA pulling out of their Aussie tour, to me, is an indication that they're in big trouble financially and need to boost their coffers. They've lost a lot of critical sponsorship which used to come primarily from white corporates and fans who voted with their feet against the corruption, theft and quota. I don't know the situation down there, but clearly they feel they have a big opportunity to attract sponsorship and viewership. I have some doubts, there's a new dynamic in play and either black companies and fans have to suddenly really start liking cricket or the white community have to start feeling that cricket is a tolerably skewed playing field.
The only guarantee is whatever money they do make will be stolen by somebody :lol:

T20 and similar versions are growing and countries have to look at means of playing more games, ideally in their own backyards so it benefits all their players and not the top 6 or they're going to get left further behind by India in the short formats. They're pulling away from the rest of the field already.

Our T20 comp is played in a week on adjacent fields with 10 people watching with free water and bananas for the players and costs ZC few hundred bucks to play, raises zero money, our better players don't seem to bother playing it and anyone who does vaguely well understandably doesn't get a call-up because the level is so shit it's irrelevant. Then players wait a couple of months for the 200 bucks they earned. A fun day with sack races and a tug of war would attract more spectators and sponsorship. If it wasn't so sad it would be funny.

Googly

Post by Googly »

There is a fantastic Espn article on CSA's decision to opt out of the Aussie ODI's. Well worth the read.

Googly

Post by Googly »

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Another loosely written article by Firdouse more or less justifying CSA's decision. She talks about missing out on a WC purely in monetory terms and only mentions about the main aspect of the pride associated with winning the WC as a side note.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya I generally don't like her articles. She is a slightly more refined version of our "reporters," she knows where her bread is buttered and what the majority of confused people want to hear, but the article does explain exactly their thought process is. I'd like to see that cash flow :lol:
It claims break even after 4 years? I've just read a couple of articles about the IPL and it would appear they're attempting to copy an IPL business model. If they're doing that to the letter it's going to go upside down. IPL is a different animal altogether. SA have some major economic and political crises looming large on their horizon just for starters.
Remember AC tried something similar here, albeit on a much smaller scale and everyone got badly burned. The SA situation is not too dissimilar to here. They've lost the support and confidence of the white business community so who's going to be onboard? Clearly there's big money in the TV rights, but you need bucket loads of corporate sponsorship who need to recoup their money from advertising. They need to believe in the concept and more importantly the people driving the bus, and they'd have to be extraordinarily naive and stupid to buy into the latter. Those CSA fellas are our blokes on horse steroids. :lol: The more money involved the bigger the crooks, maybe there will be a Gupta XI? I'd be finding a squeaky clean dynamic CEO to front for them with a serious team around him, but they won't do that. I predict an actual physical fight amongst those guys to get into position and then wait for the broken lawn mower heads when the money can't be accounted for :lol:. This is Africa, with the same tired old script and the same players.

Whatever happened to our T10 Blast that received Presidential approval? I predict our fellas trying to resurrect it when they see what CSA are up to.
Maybe what they should be doing is trying to horn into the CSA venture with an African team.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Googly wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:05 am
Ya I generally don't like her articles. She is a slightly more refined version of our "reporters," she knows where her bread is buttered and what the majority of confused people want to hear, but the article does explain exactly their thought process is. I'd like to see that cash flow :lol:
It claims break even after 4 years? I've just read a couple of articles about the IPL and it would appear they're attempting to copy an IPL business model. If they're doing that to the letter it's going to go upside down. IPL is a different animal altogether. SA have some major economic and political crises looming large on their horizon just for starters.
Remember AC tried something similar here, albeit on a much smaller scale and everyone got badly burned. The SA situation is not too dissimilar to here. They've lost the support and confidence of the white business community so who's going to be onboard? Clearly there's big money in the TV rights, but you need bucket loads of corporate sponsorship who need to recoup their money from advertising. They need to believe in the concept and more importantly the people driving the bus, and they'd have to be extraordinarily naive and stupid to buy into the latter. Those CSA fellas are our blokes on horse steroids. :lol: The more money involved the bigger the crooks, maybe there will be a Gupta XI? I'd be finding a squeaky clean dynamic CEO to front for them with a serious team around him, but they won't do that. I predict an actual physical fight amongst those guys to get into position and then wait for the broken lawn mower heads when the money can't be accounted for :lol:. This is Africa, with the same tired old script and the same players.

Whatever happened to our T10 Blast that received Presidential approval? I predict our fellas trying to resurrect it when they see what CSA are up to.
Maybe what they should be doing is trying to horn into the CSA venture with an African team.
Yeah I agree, moreover india is a cricket crazy nation, to such an extent that we would have a full house even for two neutral countries playing in India... So if they are thinking that they can replicate the IPL kind of success then they are headed for dissappointment.