State of SA

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
slcricfan1

Re: State of SA

Post by slcricfan1 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:19 pm
Ya he said it should only be played by 5 or 6 teams to keep it competitive and safeguard its future. Nonsense. That's a sure fire way to kill the sport right there.

I don't think there is a single other sport in existence in the world which is so insular and determined to shrink as cricket.
He didn`t say it should did he? THought he said that was a possibility. Hope nothing like that happens though for obvious reasons :(

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

slcricfan1 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:08 am
sloandog wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:56 pm
Plus they're all below 30 and look hungry for wickets. I've never seen Ngidi bowl as quick and as potent as he did in this game just gone. Hitting 90mph is something I never thought I would see from him, ever. But he really does get some awkward nip and bowls a heavy heavy ball. Rabada as we all know is world class, one of South Africa's best ever, and then you have the Nortje rockets and the bounce and awkwardness of Jansen. A serious fast bowling attack.

In the wings, though, they have Stuurman who simply isn't good enough and Sipamla, who believes his own myth far too much. So there's space in the wings for Cotezee for sure. Darryl Dupavillon is another bloke who could yet make an impact going forward
Whats Marco`s twin like?
He's quick, but not as good and I don't see him playing for South Africa. He'll play franchise but that's his glass ceiling I would say

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Googly wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:18 pm
These South Africans are arrogant.
Theyve pulled off a major coup with their T20 league. If it works its going to make them a lot of money and really strengthen their cricket. Already he's talking like anyone outside of England, India and Australia are not even on SA's radar.
I don't see 6 owners owning leagues world wide as a good thing for cricket. It will be a traveling 12 month circus and will further widen the gap between the big nations and the rest. It's nice for the few elite players involved, but has to be detrimental to cricket as we know it. People will put aside any desires to play for their countries, particularly in the longer format and just get on with making some real cash.
How do the smaller countries and Associates keep up with this? They don't!.

BCCI can only stop their players from joining the traveling circus for so long, especially if these owners are Indian. There's a clash coming right there.

I'm finding it hard to believe that 50 over cricket will suffer more than Test cricket. It seems to be the consensus, but I'm not so sure. We can only wait and see. The one thing for sure is that the Good Ol' Days are going fast.
Nearly every good player interviewed claims that Test is the ultimate, I smell some bullshit there, it's almost like they've got a peer pressure thing going.
What will stop the T20 circus will be loss of fan interest. It may take 10-20 years but it will happen. Surely people will tire of all these invented teams playing meaningless games?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

sloandog wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:52 am
slcricfan1 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:08 am
sloandog wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:56 pm
Plus they're all below 30 and look hungry for wickets. I've never seen Ngidi bowl as quick and as potent as he did in this game just gone. Hitting 90mph is something I never thought I would see from him, ever. But he really does get some awkward nip and bowls a heavy heavy ball. Rabada as we all know is world class, one of South Africa's best ever, and then you have the Nortje rockets and the bounce and awkwardness of Jansen. A serious fast bowling attack.

In the wings, though, they have Stuurman who simply isn't good enough and Sipamla, who believes his own myth far too much. So there's space in the wings for Cotezee for sure. Darryl Dupavillon is another bloke who could yet make an impact going forward
Whats Marco`s twin like?
He's quick, but not as good and I don't see him playing for South Africa. He'll play franchise but that's his glass ceiling I would say
Saw somewhere he might go to NZ or something. Any truth to that?

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

eugene wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:34 am
Googly wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:18 pm
These South Africans are arrogant.
Theyve pulled off a major coup with their T20 league. If it works its going to make them a lot of money and really strengthen their cricket. Already he's talking like anyone outside of England, India and Australia are not even on SA's radar.
I don't see 6 owners owning leagues world wide as a good thing for cricket. It will be a traveling 12 month circus and will further widen the gap between the big nations and the rest. It's nice for the few elite players involved, but has to be detrimental to cricket as we know it. People will put aside any desires to play for their countries, particularly in the longer format and just get on with making some real cash.
How do the smaller countries and Associates keep up with this? They don't!.

BCCI can only stop their players from joining the traveling circus for so long, especially if these owners are Indian. There's a clash coming right there.

I'm finding it hard to believe that 50 over cricket will suffer more than Test cricket. It seems to be the consensus, but I'm not so sure. We can only wait and see. The one thing for sure is that the Good Ol' Days are going fast.
Nearly every good player interviewed claims that Test is the ultimate, I smell some bullshit there, it's almost like they've got a peer pressure thing going.
What will stop the T20 circus will be loss of fan interest. It may take 10-20 years but it will happen. Surely people will tire of all these invented teams playing meaningless games?
South Africa and Emirates T20 will lead to huge franchise cricket fatigue by the time IPL starts, because these are the same owners and they are targeting Indian audience majorly for these leagues. That's the reason they've paid huge amounts.

Moreover a huge part of fan interest will depend on how India themselves perform in Asia Cup, T20 WC and the home test series against Australia. If India do well then all good but the expectation is to win all three of those, otherwise fan interest will further fade.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I don't actually watch the hundred, but I was bored and have given it a go tonight. Stubbs is 46 off 22 and he's absolutely smoking it. Effortless hitting from a very very talented kid. Surely he needs to somehow be introduced into the ODI side for the proteas

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

So talented. And as I type, he's just got out

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I wonder if we will ever see much of Tristan Stubbs in the South African team. Seems like he could make quite the living just ditching international cricket and playing T20 franchise crap instead.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

eugene wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:58 pm
I wonder if we will ever see much of Tristan Stubbs in the South African team. Seems like he could make quite the living just ditching international cricket and playing T20 franchise crap instead.
In the current set up, which is very lenient on Transformation targets, I think he will definitely stick around.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I think the trend will be to bury the transformation thing leading up to World Cups, then shortly after they'll punt for Citizens First Class.
Stubbs won't have to worry, he's so good he will be able to make a deal with CSA to be able to miss a few here and there, I reckon.