State of SA

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: State of SA

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:35 pm
One article says he has ancestral rights and plays as a local but you can't. I'm fairly certain he's played as an overseas for a while, so nothing will change.
Ya I’m fairly sure once you play international cricket for another country the ECB then forces you to play as an overseas regardless of ancestry or passport. E.g all the Irish guys - including northern Irish - had to stop playing in county cricket after they got test cricket.

I think there is still an exception for associates e.g Scottish players and Dutch players who got settled status after Brexit.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

A brilliant century from KL Rahul earlier in the day and now followed up by this fantastic century by Dean Elgar. It's a shame that he is retiring at the age of 36 when he clearly has a couple of years left in him.

Another shame is that it is only a 2 match test series. Such quality stuff and still this shameless new generation will take loads of Franchise T20 garbage over quality stuff. What a terrible time to be a cricket fan.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Surely India have better seamers than this Prashid guy? Looks bang average

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Great to see Elgar get a century. It is a shame he is retiring but it makes sense. I thought he might stick around long enough to lead the Proteas in New Zealand in a couple of months, but I don't blame him for not wanting his last series be a shellacking away from him while captaining the C team.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Bavuma seemingly out with a hamstring strain again. Can't they just give him a prolonged rest so he can get his body right?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

How does Bumrrah bowl so quick off a run up like that?
Half of it is a walk, then a couple of skips, then a stuttering 15 little steps and bang

Googly

Post by Googly »

Jansen is a handy bat. I'm thinking Zoo class when he was at school?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

India in the mud!

Great morning for SA.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

How can anyone watch this, including CSA leadership, and think we need less of this?!?! This has been great to watch the last few days.

High quality Test cricket, some great batting by Rahul/Elgar, some of the best pace bowling you'll ever see by Rabada and Bumrah, plenty of stories and talking points, a really great crowd in attendance, the usual excellent Test match pitches you always get in SA, world class coverage by SuperSport.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

India have got shredded here as is often the case in South Africa. This is exactly the reason why I don't consider this team to be as good as some of those great teams of the past like Aus in late 90s and 2000s. WI of the 70s and 80s

India are unbeatable at home but we have struggled in SENA countries except of course the last two tours of Australia, which were exceptional.

We have lost in New Zealand 0-2 in the last series we played there, we lost both the WTC finals that were played in England and then we also lost the last remaining test of the Eng series in 2022, which meant the series was drawn. Not good enough for a team that is regarded as currently the best and for a board that earns millions and millions more than others.