State of SA

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: State of SA

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:43 pm
Not u Taps :lol: , I meant anyone that thinks this quota bullshit is OK. Makes my blood boil.
I definitely don't think quotas are the way to do it and it's not a problem that can be fixed overnight. It's about to reach a boiling point I think. They will not budge so they have put the pressure on QDK. Is he willing to sacrifice his international career over this? Will others walk away with him? I highly doubt it. A lot of lessons were learnt from the Zim walkout and I doubt we will ever see one like that again. I don't think the SA players are as united as the 04 zim crew.

I found it interesting that Pommie didn't sound too pleased as well. The most interesting thing is that QDK seems to have a lot of Indian sympathisers :lol:

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

The SA player pool is also huge. Somebody will replace him. They won't be as good as him but they won't take the game backwards to the low point we reached.

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

TapsC2 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:03 pm
Googly wrote:
Not u Taps :lol: , I meant anyone that thinks this quota bullshit is OK. Makes my blood boil.
I definitely don't think quotas are the way to do it and it's not a problem that can be fixed overnight. It's about to reach a boiling point I think. They will not budge so they have put the pressure on QDK. Is he willing to sacrifice his international career over this? Will others walk away with him? I highly doubt it. A lot of lessons were learnt from the Zim walkout and I doubt we will ever see one like that again. I don't think the SA players are as united as the 04 zim crew.

I found it interesting that Pommie didn't sound too pleased as well. The most interesting thing is that QDK seems to have a lot of Indian sympathisers :lol:
India also has a quota system of sorts, not sport wise, but politically and job wise which I see some Indian people complaining about. Also Indians love de kock cause of ipl.

It is possible Namibia could be the strongest Team in Africa in a few years.

Googly

Post by Googly »

TapsC2 wrote:
Googly wrote:

Was Pommie supportive of him or anti his stance?

What do you think needs to be fixed as a matter of interest?

Googly

Post by Googly »

There's definitely no unity amongst whites. The one lesson that has been learned well is divide and rule. Every man for himself.

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

What bothers me is why didn't CSA sort this out before the world cup. If Quentin has done this before then why didn't they talk to him before. If there stance is like this then why did he go on tour. It's just poor administration and politics is so entwined in SA cricket.

Secondly, there is some anti white sentiment in South Africa. Once someone tried to rob me and said give me your wallet white motherfucker or Ill shoot you. That's not to say that black people dont get robbed or that the person that tried to rob me probably was drsperate. A black farmer from Zim told me he was robbed in SA and he had to empty everything or he was derobed.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

So aside from the actual disorganisation of CSA (if they’re wanted to implement this, surely do it before the tournament - not a few hours before your 2nd match), and aside from the very real issues of race and all the stuff mentioned by Googly (a classic 5-post Googly chain!) , my feeling on this is just.......

Just take the knee? Seriously who cares at this point. It’s not some groundbreaking gesture anymore. Does anyone watching these games actually care who is taking the knee or why? 1 ball into the 1st innings, does anyone remember? If de kock did take the knee today - would anyone have even noticed?

Surely if you are a professional sportsperson and this is your livelihood and also it’s a World Cup and you are passionate about representing your country and appearing to be supportive of and united with your team mates (most of whom are white) - you’d go with your head and just do it? For an easy life and to continue your career and to avoid the haranguing and judgement he is going to get from Indian pundits and U.K./Aussie media who have no idea.

Idk. I mean whilst I think taking the knee is completely meaningless and pointless, that’s also why I think it’s fine to do it. Because it is meaningless. So go for an easy ride and support your team mates in a crucial match, and dont fuck up your career for something pointless.

Taking a stand against it is as pointless and meaningless as mandating it in the first place tbh.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:24 pm
TapsC2 wrote:
Googly wrote:

Was Pommie supportive of him or anti his stance?

What do you think needs to be fixed as a matter of interest?
Pommie basically said that if you don't take the knee then you not supporting your teammates of colour. Strong words.

To me you obliviously have to be biased somewhere but not quotas. I think the best way to achieve it is to invest big on maybe 5 schools which have black kids as the majority and put international standard facilities and qualified coaches. You can't afford to do it all over the country. In Zim's situation go to Prince Edward, Churchill and a couple of other schools and really invest in them. Send any promising underprivileged kid there. Get these schools competing with the already existing elite schools and after maybe 10 years you will naturally see black talent (especially batsmen) coming through.

Quotas don't solve the real issue. The real issue is that cricket like golf and tennis needs thousands of hours of practice which in the current environment in SA and Zim need lots of support from the parents. You need to create an environment where a naturally talented kid can get the thousands of hours of support needed. Black parents don't value sports and thats the truth.

It's not a coincidence for me that Myers went to an elite school. Wes was on a cricket scholarship in SA, Muyeye went from an elite school to a cricket scholarship in the UK. Marumani was on a scholarship at Falcon, an elite school.

Shumba was on a scholarship at Churchill I think which does not have ideal cricket facilities anymore but is still better than 99% of government school in that department. He might be the only exception. He did however play a lot of club cricket in the UK in 2019 before that World Cup.

The numbers for me show that the key is in building strong junior institutions which have a bias towards black kids. Not 100 institutions in random rural areas. Build just 5 institutions in schools which already have a culture of playing sports. It will cost a lot of money but after 10 years you will be producing a decent player or 2 every year who deserve to be in the national setup

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

What I really want to see is how the British and Australians and New Zealanders see this. I will tell you a lot of them don't like white South Africans and think they are a racist lot. This won't help that stereotype

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

^ I think it is futile trying to compare Zimbabwe with SA on almost anything but especially race. It is completely different. 20k whites (and ageing, so will decline further...) in Zim is a different story altogether compared to over 4 million in SA. We've also, I think, had our absolute nadir with race relations and have largely found a way to get on with life. I fear SA hasn't yet reached their anti-white nadir. So again, pretty futile comparing it.

Your general point of investing in a set number of quality schools with cricketing heritage (colour is irrelevant on this subject...) in Zim over random concrete nets in the dessert villages though is absolutely right and has been repeated by many on here over many years!