Match Thread: Afghanistan v Zimbabwe 1st Test (2nd-6th March)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: Match Thread: Afghanistan v Zimbabwe 1st Test (2nd-6th March)

Post by TapsC2 »

My final question. If both teams are at full strength who wins? I don’t know who else they are missing besides Rashid Khan but from the batting I saw over the last 2 days I would think we might be slightly stronger(or maybe just more experienced)

We are missing 4 guys who I think are proven at this level . Jarvis, Chatara, BT and Ervine . I’m only talking about this format by the way. Maybe the pitch is what made the difference

zimstarr
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by zimstarr »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:16 pm
zimstarr wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:47 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:33 am

Did anyone take it?
I had it as 9:1 on my phone.
I fell asleep before I got the rashid news, but I still took the at 2.5:1 in a larger multi with some concurrent soccer games (taht have since won).
hahahahahahaha.
I took it . I'm getting 500 if zim wins
A lot of hookers and Coke for you tonight !

paranoidandroid

Post by paranoidandroid »

It's a bit of a weird win for me because it was almost so easy that there wasn't time to learn very much.

Takeaways for me:

1. Sean Williams is class and well capable of leading Zimbabwe at this level;
2. Muzarabani and Nyauchi look like test-capable seamers.
3. I think this 8 + 3 lineup can work, particularly because with the addition of Wes and the development of Burl Zimbabwe now have four pretty legitimate spin options that add a lot of variety as well. I'm not saying they're all great bowlers (middling at best really) but with four of them there you've got plenty of options in case one isn't firing. It's an interesting way of structuring a team and I think it will help keep Zimbabwe in games.

It sucks for Wes to have missed out but he'll have other opportunities.

Also, I think history will look pretty kindly on Tiripano's contribution to Zimbabwean cricket. Sure he's pedestrian pace, but he bowls dry and adds a bit with the bat. I dunno why, but he also just seems like a good bloke and puts in for the team.

Also also, I was worried Zimbabwe would be stiffed by dodgy umpiring decisions without DRS but fortunately that wasn't the case (sure some were a bit borderline but no absolute shockers and I don't think either team was majorly disadvantaged).

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:59 am
Jemisi wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:44 am
Prince isn't great but who else is there to try and hold the top order together?

The criticisms seem fair but until Byrom comes along or something...
I get this point, which is where the criticism has to come of ZC. They need to be active in producing talent and identifying issues, not just be like, "who else do we have?"
jaybro wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:48 am
I think people need to realise, there isn't a Justin Langer and Matthew Hayden putting on double hundred partnerships opening hte batting back in Harare. Since Zim's re-entry into test cricket 2011, only Tino & Hamilton have looked slightly comfortable opening in Tests, we've had Chari & Chamu before so I'm not feeling too upset with Kasuza & Prince.
I'm not really asking for a big hitting pair, i'm asking for a consistent pair that can knock the ball around and get runs. We don't need a 5rpo pair, but a pair at even 3-4rpo would be good. At the moment, we sometimes fall under 2 with our current lot, and it seems they both just stick to the idea of hunker down and just protect the wicket. That is not how you win cricket matches as an opening pair.

It's good to have a cautious approach at times, but be smart about it. Prince doesn't fill me with much of someone who does that.
eugene wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:21 am
In their entire test history I don't think Zimbabwe has ever had a reliable opening combination, at least not that I can remember.
We've definitely had quality openers, Flower, Campbell, Johnson, Carlisle. Vermuelen was quality too before the head knock and the arson. Definitely had a lot more confidence in those guys.

Interesting to note that Raza and Hammy hold the record for highest partnership in ODI for the 1st wicket, and highest in test for the 2nd wicket.
We have had good openers for sure, but never a reliable combination.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

paranoidandroid wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:52 pm
It's a bit of a weird win for me because it was almost so easy that there wasn't time to learn very much.

Takeaways for me:

3. I think this 8 + 3 lineup can work, particularly because with the addition of Wes and the development of Burl Zimbabwe now have four pretty legitimate spin options that add a lot of variety as well. I'm not saying they're all great bowlers (middling at best really) but with four of them there you've got plenty of options in case one isn't firing. It's an interesting way of structuring a team and I think it will help keep Zimbabwe in games.

Also, I think history will look pretty kindly on Tiripano's contribution to Zimbabwean cricket. Sure he's pedestrian pace, but he bowls dry and adds a bit with the bat. I dunno why, but he also just seems like a good bloke and puts in for the team.

Also also, I was worried Zimbabwe would be stiffed by dodgy umpiring decisions without DRS but fortunately that wasn't the case (sure some were a bit borderline but no absolute shockers and I don't think either team was majorly disadvantaged).
I like Tiripano, he seems to have a good work ethic and the grit that Zimbabwean cricketers of old had.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

zimdan

Post by zimdan »

paranoidandroid wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:52 pm

Takeaways for me:

Good summary but of all the takeaways you made we must remember we are vs an extremely poor Afghan side. This is not taking away from a solid performance from us, however getting some starting 11 stability is critical for us to put in quality test results against the next tier of opponent.

2021 is going to provide an amazing platform for the next generation test players to come through. Its exciting to have BT and Craig still to come back also. We finally have some quality players fighting for a spot rather than just walking into the side.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Well three young blokes (Wez, Tari, Burl) are now being seriously considered for the side and then there's Mysers and Shumba to come in as well. Hopefully in the future Nick Welch could make an appearance as well

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Good comfortable win in the end. Lovely to see. I just managed to watch all the highlights now and my only two concerns were

1) Our wickets were all very soft dismissals. It was not much to do with the bowling, but to do with poor selection/movement. We definitely could have built a much bigger total
2) Some of our lines when bowling leave a bit to be desired. Might want to just tighten them a bit. Will get their guys fishing more and more chances for nicks and wickets.

jward
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jward »

[/quote]

Yes, Donald's a good bloke.

Also I was impressed with the Afghan umpire who gave Sean not out for that confident appeal for a catch at the wicket when the ball brushed his pad and not his bat - a very good and honest decision.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Excellent win.

I really thought this would be a close series even if both teams were at full strength, but that Afghanistan would probably win 2-0. That ZIM thrashed them sans BRMT and Ervine and KJ and Chatara bodes well. I suspect the boys are quite disappointed that playing so few Tests, when they finally get to play one its all over inside 2 days :lol: But I would imagine its a disappointment Zimbabwe would like to enjoy haha.

Congrats to all the fans here. To be honest I was impressed with the seamers, mostly by Nyauchi and how much movement he was getting. I'm not a fan of his Chigumbura-Madziva action, but the way he was swinging the ball in Asian conditions left me impressed. Blessing too, did well, and his height and bounce really did cause the Afghans problems. I hope the big 4 guys who missed out are fit by the next series vs Pakistan and Bangladesh.

My XI going forward:

1) Kasuza - Not sure how good he is, but should get more chances
2) Chari - if Prince is struggling against Afghanistan and Bangladesh, how would he fare vs India or Australia?
3) Taylor - the best batters should bat at 3/4
4) Williams - deserves the promotion now
5) Ervine - I think he can do his best work here
6) Raza - needs to get his shit together and stop throwing his wicket away
7) Wesley
8) Chakabva - played another solid innings in a big result
9) Blessing - can at least hold a bat
10) Jarvis - still the #1 seamer for me
11) Nyauchi/Chatara - depends on fitness for Chats, but the way Nyauchi was swinging the ball, he'll be a handful

Guys like Tari, Burl, Moor would make up my bench.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)