Match Thread: Afghanistan v Zimbabwe 1st Test (2nd-6th March)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Match Thread: Afghanistan v Zimbabwe 1st Test (2nd-6th March)

Post by Jemisi »

:4: Kevin looking vulnerable

Jemisi

Post by Jemisi »

Yeah Wes got ripped off

Jemisi

Post by Jemisi »

:4: well done Zimbabwe!

A win away from home in 2 days with no fc cricket for ages.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

A test match win! Yes, well done boys!

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

I'm left feeling robbed of more cricket :lol:
Well done to the lads, great victory. There seems to be a really good team spirit which is always nice to see

Kallum

Post by Kallum »

10 wicket win for 'Jim barb vay'

An excellent performance from the ugly step child of test cricket especially considering how little cricket they've had. I think dare i say it the board and the planning for this series has been excellent with plenty of practice matches allowing the players to shake off some rust and perform very well over the last two days.

Prince Masvaure - 2/10 - had a very quiet game opening the batting and looks very vulnerable to spin, but seemed to be trying to work on this issue in the second innings however brief.

Kevin Kasuza - 3/10 - also had a very quiet game, got an absolute pearler of a delivery to clean him up in the first innings so wouldnt read too much into that, fielded well and slogged it like a proper village cricketer after my heart in that second innings.

Tari Masakanda - 3/10 - weird saying after such a big win that so many players had a quiet game but so did Tari. Fielded well just didnt get going with the bat.

Sean Williams - 9/10 - one of the best all round performances ive seen in a while. Took wickets, scored an unbelievable century and really seems to have started applying himself better with his batting seeking those big big scores that he failed throughout his earlier years to muster together, and fielded like an absolute hero from the 90s, the catch he took in Afghanistan's second innings being one of the highlights of the match. His captaincy was really really good with the field placements and choice of bowlers, i think his enthusiasm and belief has really rubbed off on the younger guys already which can only be a good thing, he seems to have the rest of the team wanting to play for him and you can see that with the way the other players are acting on the field around him. Only not a 10 because you should only ever give 1 10/10 in your lifetime.

Wesley Madhevere - 5/10 - Got a very unlucky dismissal for a ball that looked to be going down leg so i wouldn't read too much into it. Fielded like a dream and took a superb catch in afghanistan's second innings.

Sikandar Raza - 6/10 - As always Raza seems to be a solid performer who is seemingly never excellent a player that every team needs even if they'd rather they were a bit better. Took a good wicket in the first innings but his whole Sunil Narine attempt is very odd when in reality the only thing he has is an off spinner and one that goes onwards and the only other thing he changes is pace like every other off spinner ever. Batting well in the first innings before in true fashion he threw it away right before a mile stone and put Zim in an interesting position but was all round pretty decent.

Ryan Burl - 6/10 - Like Madhevere copped a really rough decision i thought that i thought was going over the stumps but more than made up for it with his fielding and with his bowling which has truly come along leaps and bounds. Plus that wicket in the second innings is worth a point or two in itself. What an absolute dreamboat that delivery was!

Regis Chakabva - 6/10 - Kept pretty decently in the first innings and made sure he didnt spill any chances that im aware off throughout the game, was abit sloppy with the gloves in the second innings giving plenty of byes but some of them were difficult in defence too him. Batted very well in a very important innings with Willo in the first innings before getting a good nut.

THE Don - 5/10 - Yes he took 3 wickets in the end but looked incredibly dosile for me and seemed to be bowling no more than 60 to 65 MPH which isnt quick enough for a pacer in test cricket, i really like the guy but unless he brings his batting average to the mid 20 and 30s he isnt worth the dosality.

Blessing Muzarabani - 8/10 - How good is this guy! I sang his praises against Pakistan and im gonna do it again, he offers something for Zimbabwe that the team simply hasnt had in a long time, control height and bounce even if it isnt particularly quick, his action could probs do with opening up a bit to get his pace up but honestly who cares if he is gonna keep taking wickets at this rate for the Chevrons.

Victor Nyauchi - 7/10 - Took heaps of wickets which is good to see as he bowled with a bit more venom than he did against Sri Lanka. To see him get some swing in the second innings was really nice to see too so hopefully he can continue to work on that. He has some issues with control by the looks of it though with both line and length which will hopefully develop as he is further exposed at the highest level.

Overall the Chevrons completely outplayed Afghanistan in all departments and i think the greatest takeaway is the enthusiasm which Sean Williams has for this team still after all these years, he seems genuinely excited in the press interviews and keen as mustard to lead well which i think he has done excellently the past two days.

Commentary team get a solid 2/10 for me - Tino the only one that i ever want to hear again ngl. My favourite part was when the two afghan commentators were both trying to have a convo about completely different things in broken English and not contributing to eachother's convo in any way

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimstarr wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:47 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:33 am
zimstarr wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:22 am
Zim u beauty those 7 to 1 odds look so good now.
Did anyone take it?
I had it as 9:1 on my phone.
I fell asleep before I got the rashid news, but I still took the at 2.5:1 in a larger multi with some concurrent soccer games (taht have since won).

I took it . I'm getting 500 if zim wins
A lot of hookers and Coke for you tonight !
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Congratulations folks, brilliant win, well deserved and a very important victory this.

Delighted for Zimbabwe cricket and fans. Time for the team to enjoy and then focus on the next one in a week's time

andrea lanzoni

Post by andrea lanzoni »

Watched match on YouTube, fantastic win after so long time. This team has a good spirit. Hope in a real turnaround for Zimbabwe cricket.
Congratulations from an italian supporter of ZIM.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Jemisi wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:57 am
I'm not sure what mysteries Raza is concealing with the ball behind his back. They are all coming out pretty straight.b
He’s gone downhill since he’s started this stuff.

Bro you’re a gentle part time off spinner calm the fuck down :lol: :lol:
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*